Fa-Jing: How to Gain it How to Use It

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Fa-Jing: How to Gain it How to Use It

Postby stan baker on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:14 pm

looks like sam chin is the most solid then chen yu

stan
stan baker
Santi

Postby PartridgeRun on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:45 am

Ian wrote:the only impressive and realistic fajin in this thread is what sam chin's doing.

How so?

Personally, I think Chen Yu takes the cake (no pun intended there ;D ), but hey, it might just be a matter of taste, yeah?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTIyMTgyOTk2.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTIyMTgzMDgw.html
"The bank was saved, but the people were ruined."
- Henry M. Gouge, circa 1830
“No civilization can survive the physical destruction of its resource base.”
- Bruce Sterling
PartridgeRun
Anjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:27 am

I don't get most of the fa-jin vids honestly. Chen yu looks good and it looks powerful but its just not realistic to strike like that while fighting IMO. The Sam Chin stuff looks best to me as well but that is mainly because his power is flowing from one movement to the next. Its like he uses little explosions of short power during the movement while never actually stopping.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby lars on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:56 am

@ ashe
Isnt it Sam who has a vid of doing a class in the states where he asks a student to touch him on the shoulder, and then kind of shakes/shrugs and makes the guy jump away?
If I remember right it seemed like a good way of showing Fa jin. I think the student had a very tense arm, but nonetheless I remember it as nice.

For me Park has incredible fa jin, but well, he is my teachers teacher, so... Unfortunately there is no good video of him on youtube...
lars
Anjing

Postby ashe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 pm

lars wrote:@ ashe
Isnt it Sam who has a vid of doing a class in the states where he asks a student to touch him on the shoulder, and then kind of shakes/shrugs and makes the guy jump away?
If I remember right it seemed like a good way of showing Fa jin. I think the student had a very tense arm, but nonetheless I remember it as nice.

mmm... i'm not sure which video that is. there's some of him here demoing that kind of "bouncing out" type fa jin here at 1:50

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:15 pm

Ignorance is bliss!
Last edited by Bob on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Bob wrote:I just don't see it in Sam Chin clips but I trust that if people have felt and say he has got, well I believe it. Just never been much impressed with Yiquan but I suspect that is more my fault since I really don't understand it and what makes it unique.
And again, I most willing to admit it may simply be ignorance on my part.

Err...Bob.. Yiquan is not the same as I Liq Quan. Sam Chin does not do yiquan.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Bob on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:18 pm

Well Sprint, I plead even more ignorant than previously posted and thereby remove my post---I know nothing about I Liq Quan, absolutely nothing.

Let the discussion go on---its out of my realm. LOL
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:41 pm

If you can't feel the master first hand, you can not for sure know if what you just see has strength or not. Sometimes it's obvious when someone looks really stupid that they dont have anything, like in the first vid...
But "strength in air" is not the same as "strength against on object" Even for Sam or Chen yu, the mechanics will be VERY different if they demo in mid-air or really hit, or push someone.

Actually, real fa jing strength should not be felt be the practitioner himself. Many Chen and other taiji styles exercises build bad habit when you try to feel it for yourself. If you feel it, it means that the strength get stuck. The less you feel when you actually hit someone, the stronger the strike will be. That is the experience many martial artists have. Boxers or Taiji-artists. The experience is the same.

Another point is that there are fa jing exercises for building foundation, and others for real attacking strength. Poeple seem to mix them up. But this is OT, so I will shut up for now.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:08 pm

lars wrote:@ ashe

For me Park has incredible fa jin, but well, he is my teachers teacher, so... Unfortunately there is no good video of him on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-B4RQrqnos

At the very end
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby lars on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:58 pm

I think it was another video that I remember, but more or less same thing he showed.
lars
Anjing

Postby Bob on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:05 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRXaYbU ... re=related

One of the best I have seen---especially with regard to the structure of his lower body when expressing fajing.
Bob
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links