What Do You Think Of This Aikido?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

What Do You Think Of This Aikido?

Postby cgtomash on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:08 pm

cgtomash
Great Old One

Re: What Do You Think Of This Aikido?

Postby WVMark on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:50 pm

I'd say it is 100% jujutsu and 0% aiki.

Doesn't cover "good" or "bad", just that it lacks any aiki that the founder had.
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Interloper on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Yep. What WVMark said. No aiki. While aikido is jujutsu, it's a pretty flaccid version of jj, IMO. It looks like they took aikido tenkan and combined it with a more direct, basic jujutsu application with a more combative approach.
Last edited by Interloper on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:07 am

They have got what are, to me, two key skills of Aikido in spades: A straight line entry off a circular attack, and circular evasion off of a straight attack. They have good footwork, and they change direction effectively with their locks. (Ability to change without getting stuck on a technique being, IMHO, one of the key IMA skills). They are also using a bit of striking - notably knees - which you don't often see in Aikido. So, IMHO (and my Aikido experience extends to maybe two classes 20 years ago) this is better Aikido and a more practical MA, than most Aikido demos one sees out there.

I would REALLY love to see "real aiki" in action, but - like combative Taiji - it seems to be an unreachable ideal.

As for these lads lacking the Aiki that the founder of the art possessed: Does anyone - even remotely? - approach the founder's level of skill? To answer my own question: AFAIK, apparently not, which reinforces my point about real Aiki being impossible to achieve.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby WVMark on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:47 am

Andy_S wrote:They have got what are, to me, two key skills of Aikido in spades: A straight line entry off a circular attack, and circular evasion off of a straight attack. They have good footwork, and they change direction effectively with their locks. (Ability to change without getting stuck on a technique being, IMHO, one of the key IMA skills). They are also using a bit of striking - notably knees - which you don't often see in Aikido. So, IMHO (and my Aikido experience extends to maybe two classes 20 years ago) this is better Aikido and a more practical MA, than most Aikido demos one sees out there.

I would REALLY love to see "real aiki" in action, but - like combative Taiji - it seems to be an unreachable ideal.

As for these lads lacking the Aiki that the founder of the art possessed: Does anyone - even remotely? - approach the founder's level of skill? To answer my own question: AFAIK, apparently not, which reinforces my point about real Aiki being impossible to achieve.

There are some out there who can show "real aiki" in action. Skill levels are of various degrees, but still pretty impressive. Course, none of them are from the aikido world, but from the Daito ryu world and koryu. But, researching Daito ryu, one can see that Ueshiba used Daito ryu aiki throughout his life. Aiki is the same in both, but not the fluffy bunny stuff. And no, it isn't an unreachable ideal nor impossible to achieve. Finding someone to teach you "real aiki" might be a bit of a hunt, but there are some out there. I'd skip looking in the aikido world, though. I doubt you're going to find much of Ueshiba's skill level there. It's mostly jujutsu now.
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Andy_S on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:00 am

WV Mark:

I am not looking for an Aiki teacher with the goods as I have no intention of learning it, I am looking for something far, far simpler: Evidence that this skill exists on film - say, YouTube. After all, we live in the Interweb age,and if footage of people being attacked by great white sharks exists (as it does) surely someone demonstrating a reasonable level of AIki has been captured on cam?

Uyeshiba had, by almost every account of him, skills that were ethereal to the point of beig almost supernatural. As you note, nobody in his own art has replicated what he had, but if such an incredible figure is out there today, training MA, kindly name him.

Sadly, most koryu stylists I have seen are oldish gentlemen practicing antique routines with antique weapons....and of course, if these amazing Aiki fellows are camera shy...well...
Last edited by Andy_S on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby asiawide on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 am

Well... they are just 'nasty'. I'm not a good aikido student. But it's not that hard to go nasty. This is a clip of my teacher. Quite easy aikido jerking drill. he he.

asiawide
Mingjing

Postby Upyu on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:15 am

Andy_S wrote:Sadly, most koryu stylists I have seen are oldish gentlemen practicing antique routines with antique weapons....and of course, if these amazing Aiki fellows are camera shy...well...

Mark you sure you want to feed the tr"#" ;D
Upyu
Anjing

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:27 am

well honestly I think the lack of internal skills is the least worrying thing in the clip.

how about the stiff arm overhead chop as an attack that you NEVER see in real life or in the ring? or how the guys are not just rolling or diving, but actually jumping into the technique?
Ian

Postby WVMark on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 am

Upyu wrote:
Andy_S wrote:Sadly, most koryu stylists I have seen are oldish gentlemen practicing antique routines with antique weapons....and of course, if these amazing Aiki fellows are camera shy...well...

Mark you sure you want to feed the tr"#" ;D

Hey,
Well, probably best not to do things like that. :)
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Andy_S on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Troll, eh?

I am simply asking to see what on earth you are talking about. The only guy I know of who is showing any of this apparently incredible martial material is Akuzawa and I dont believe even his much vaunted skills approach the level of mastery that Uyeshiba reportedly possesssed.

Upyu - I think I understand now what your handle refers to - I used to have some time for you as at least you have shown SOMETHING (foundation exercises). Though of course, whether your application of these incredible skills is better or more "aiki" than the guys on this clip, it is impossible for me to say for a rather simple reason.

Talk is cheap, walk ain't.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby asiawide on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Well.. Reminds me of old joke.

Oneday Jesus showed up to an old man who was praying.

'I'm Jesus, what can I do for you?'
'No way.. prove it!'
'Look at the holes on my body!'
'Oh..dear are you Pinocchio?'
asiawide
Mingjing

Postby meeks on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:00 pm

I liked it. refreshing to see aikido that's not all hung up on pomp n ceremony and even the lower belts have trained some 'oomph' to it.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby GaryR on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:30 pm

I like it! Good Stuff!! (the first video).

Second video, not so much....

G
GaryR

Postby bartekb on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:47 pm

as for my taste still to flowery:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXoMyD50 ... dded#at=17 > this is the aikido I like starting from Shiodas 1 technique:)
on the first move IMHO, too much drama done by Uke. You can also compare to Shiodas strategy towards multiple opponents - he never lets them just pass him by, they are always hit or thrown.

On the second video - well a proper shomen attack should have a distance and a speed like the one 3:58, the rest, well...
bartekb
Great Old One

Return to Video Links