Taiji Qi Gong of Jou Tsung Hwa

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Taiji Qi Gong of Jou Tsung Hwa

Postby Bob on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfJeS5aG_2w

Tai Chi Chi Kung, front view - 05/19/07 (Spring)

S1 of Complete Morning Sequence
(list below)

This is the entire sequence for my morning exercise routine, which lasts approximately 30 to 40 minutes:

A1 - My Tai Chi Chi Kung set (Shoulder-width stance) [my expanded variation of the Classic Yang Tai Chi Chi Kung set (S1)]

A2 - My "11 Smiles" Chi Kung set (Shoulder-width stance)

B1 - Bend-down #1 (V-feet)

B2 - Bend-down #2 (V-feet)

C1 - Bend Bow #1 (wide horse stance)

C2 - Bend Bow #2 (wide horse stance)

C3 - Bend Bow #3 (wide horse stance)

D1 - Cloud Hands swings (Shoulder-width stance)

D2 - Swing Arms Sideways & Turn In Place #1 (Shoulder-width stance)

D3 - Swing Arms Sideways & Turn In Place #2 (Shoulder-width stance)

D4 - Swing Arms Up & Turn In Place (Shoulder-width stance)

E - Huang Hsin Hsien sequence

F1 - Wide Horse / Snake Creeps Down variations

F2 - Wide Horse Master Yuan variations

G - Bent Knees Straighten (Shoulder-width stance)

H - Bounce & Shake in Place (Shoulder-width stance to V-feet)

I1 - Bend forwards and backwards (Horse stance)

I2 - Overhead block (Horse stance)

I3 - Look behind self (Horse stance)

I4 - Master Yuan's Look Behind Self (Wide Forward Stance)

J - Combination Wei Lun Choy, Master Yuan, Dr. Young Chi Kung set (shoulder-width stance)

K - Yang Tai Chi Short Form (Cheng Manching's form)

L - Feng Zhi Qiang Chi Kung set

M1 - Bend-down #3 (V-feet)

M2 - Bend-down #4 (V-feet)

M3 - Rise on tip-toes

N - Elbow-stroke to side back-fist (wide-horse stance)

O - Touch opposite ankles (wide-horse stance)

P - Open hip joint (stand on 1 leg)

Q1 - Snake Creeps Down to Stand on 1 Leg

Q2 - 6 Kicks

R - Crouch as press hands together (V-feet)

S1 - Yang Tai Chi Chi Kung set (Shoulder-width stance)

S2 - My "11 Smiles" set (Shoulder-width stance)

T - Eye Exercises (Shoulder-width stance)

U - Embrace Tree Chi Kung (Forward Stance)

It's important to have a set of exercises that can be done EVERY DAY, regardless of weather. So there is no excuse NOT to exercise on a particular day!

Exercises that can be done indoors, or outdoors. Exercises that don't require any special clothing, equipment, or special setting.

One should have a set of core exercises which can be done indoors, and outdoors in all kinds of weather, during every season.

One doesn't need a lot of different types of exercises, just some one knows how to do very well, almost without thinking. Just keep doing them, over and over, as a regular habit, during every season, indoors and outdoors. Not just during good weather. During bad weather also. Helps acclimatize the body to all sorts of weather changes. Strengthens body's endurance, and ability to adapt to all types of external weather conditions.

Stale indoor air, full of carbon dioxide, can make one sleepy. It's important to "air out the body" regularly by exercising outdoors and breathing fresh air.

I always feel better, "more alive," after I exercise - - especially outdoors, in fresh air.

I began doing some of these exercises when I was a teenager. I've continued doing many of these deep-breathing, chi circulating (Chi Kung type) exercises, on a daily basis, for 40+ years now. I turned 58 at the end of April 2009.

These daily exercises continue to help keep me healthy, flexible, and full of energy.

ChiGuy396

[email protected]

Category: Sports

Tags: ChiGuy396 ChiKung qi-gong chi breathing exercise bending stretching balance movement Tai Chi TaiChi Taiji longevity
Bob
Great Old One

Re: Taiji Qi Gong of Jou Tsung Hwa

Postby Yuen-Ming on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:57 am

From Liang/Olson to Jou/this guy there seems to be a lot of people learning this set from a book ....

:(

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Bob on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:18 am

YM:

My guess is that he probably learned that particular set off of Jou or one of his students. I learned this set in 1984 and re-learned it over the 4 times I attended his summer camp in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The form is in his book but I am not sure how accurate it is and am pretty certain that the Heng Haa breathing is wrong conceptually. This also show up in Olson's book but I think Olson is married to one of Jou's daughters--not certain.

I think the original diagrams were in an old taiji book by Chen Yanlin? I have a copied version of the book somewhere around here and it has the original qi gong drawings and concepts--

I haven't done that material for over 15 years---never really knew how legitimate it was or whether it was significantly modified by Jou.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:51 am

Bob wrote:YM:

My guess is that he probably learned that particular set off of Jou or one of his students. I learned this set in 1984 and re-learned it over the 4 times I attended his summer camp in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The form is in his book but I am not sure how accurate it is and am pretty certain that the Heng Haa breathing is wrong conceptually. This also show up in Olson's book but I think Olson is married to one of Jou's daughters--not certain.

I think the original diagrams were in an old taiji book by Chen Yanlin? I have a copied version of the book somewhere around here and it has the original qi gong drawings and concepts--

I haven't done that material for over 15 years---never really knew how legitimate it was or whether it was significantly modified by Jou.

Hello Bob,

the set was created by Yang Jianhou and passed down to a few of his disciples, so it got to Chen's book via Tian Zhaolin.
Forced breathing, 'contractions' and various similar kinds of work are the core of this practice without which it is only a light form gymnastic and, in this respect, quite useless.

Both Liang (Tung Tsai) and Jou Tsung-Hua learned it from the book so your choice of avoid loosing your time was a good one :)

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Bob on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:10 am

YM, thanks for the info--yeah, in his book, Jou, has the heng haa---heng is a contraction and reverse breathing, haa is an exhale and expansion of stomach/dan tian area.

I know Jou was sincere in his teachings and encourage each to find their own path and I know his material served him well but this is the part of martial arts I hate---the hiding and twists and turns as to what is authentic and what is inauthentic material.

Thanks again.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:41 pm

Yuen-Ming wrote:
Bob wrote:YM:

Hello Bob,

the set was created by Yang Jianhou and passed down to a few of his disciples, so it got to Chen's book via Tian Zhaolin.
Forced breathing, 'contractions' and various similar kinds of work are the core of this practice without which it is only a light form gymnastic and, in this respect, quite useless.

Both Liang (Tung Tsai) and Jou Tsung-Hua learned it from the book so your choice of avoid loosing your time was a good one :)

YM

Hi YM,
very interesting. I learned this set with late Master Song Zhijian and always wondered, why our version was so different from what appeared in those English books. Even Chen Yanlin's version is somewhat different.

How could it be transmitted to Song? No idea.
grets

Hermann
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Yuen-Ming on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:09 am

Hello Hermann,

check out He Jing Han's version of that set and let me know if it's the same as you do.
I think it was on youtube but I have no access right now (in Canton today)

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:28 pm

Yuen-Ming wrote:Hello Hermann,

check out He Jing Han's version of that set and let me know if it's the same as you do.
I think it was on youtube but I have no access right now (in Canton today)

YM

No, Yuen-Ming, can't find it on Youtube or his channel. Where else to look for?
Thanks in advance!
Hermann
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:40 am

taiwandeutscher wrote:No, Yuen-Ming, can't find it on Youtube or his channel. Where else to look for?
Thanks in advance!
Hermann

It was on Youtube with a name like "Yang family Qigong" or something like that, maybe he took it off ...

YM

EDIT: here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SudIkUDqDrw and here http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hej ... CPOAaxjM50
Last edited by Yuen-Ming on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Bob on Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:00 am

Although I cannot see the details, this seems very close to what Jou Tsung Hwa practiced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SudIkUDqDrw

On the other clip, there is a much clearer illustration of what he does---this is very close to what Jou taught---I have the entire sequence on video from one of Jou student's---take in the late 1980s but I cannot post it because of ethical reasons--not having his permission.

Thanks for posting those clips--PM
Last edited by Bob on Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:16 am

Bob wrote:Although I cannot see the details, this seems very close to what Jou Tsung Hwa practiced

Yes Bob, that's the reason of my question to Hermann

All these taiwanese sets looks very much alike and I recall without too much doubts that Liang Tung-Tsai admitted having learned it from the book.

They are VERY, VERY different from what has been passed down from Jianhou - for as much as I can see - and totally miss on the "forced" breathing which is (one of) the core of the practice.
The 'original' set has many variations (levels actually) but even the beginners version is A LOT different from what I see in these videos. One can most probably practice 20 times that set without breaking a drop of sweat while with the correct pattern one would pour sweat like water from the tap.

I think He Jing Han said who taught him his version, his Taijiquan teacher I seem to remember, but I can't recall his name off the top of my head

YM
Last edited by Yuen-Ming on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Bob on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:31 am

Interestingly in baji training we have a much simpler exercise while raising the heels and circling inward and raising the heels circling outward with hen haa breathing expression.

YM see you PM.

Thanks.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:55 am

Bob and YM,

thanks a lot for your help. And yes, there are some similarities, but then again Song Zhijian was close to Liang Dongzai and Huang Xingxian (they were nicked the 3 doubble initials at our school (J. J. Song, H. H. Huang, T. T. Liang).

But on another side...
also PM
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Return to Video Links