Nice mantis sparring

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Nice mantis sparring

Postby .Q. on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:43 am

Can't believe some of them use no gloves or protection at all at that intensity.
Last edited by .Q. on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
.Q.
Wuji

Re: Nice mantis sparring

Postby palmslam on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Those are Brendan Tunks students from down under. Really good Mantis teacher.

V/r

S. Manning
Last edited by palmslam on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palmslam
Anjing

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:45 pm

I like at :45 Where kind of shots on this dude but mostly just grabs him around the waist and puts his head down....so dude just punches him in the face.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:35 pm

very nice. wish there were more cma schools that did this.
Ian

Postby Adam S on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:04 am

.Q. wrote:Can't believe some of them use no gloves or protection at all at that intensity.

Why??......maybe we do, do things differently here down under :)

Overall I liked it

What state is Brendan Tunks in
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:26 am

Adam S wrote:
.Q. wrote:Can't believe some of them use no gloves or protection at all at that intensity.

Why??......maybe we do, do things differently here down under :)

Overall I liked it

What state is Brendan Tunks in

It's good but I'd imagine it's pretty easy to get an injury that'd kill training time.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Kurt Robbins on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:33 pm

Nice,
Going in the right direction.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Craig on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:21 pm

That looks to be Brendan who teaches tang lang at the phoenix gym in canberra. He's a top bloke and has lots of skill (very quick hands). I wish there were a video of him doing some stuff. I think he also does security work a fair bit too so gets to use his stuff IRL. Also helps that he teaches at a boxing gym :P

[edit]: apparently it is him :)
Last edited by Craig on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 am

Kurt Robbins wrote:Nice,
Going in the right direction.

yup, they are need some counter punching methods because they almost run away from the attacker.
Areios
Wuji

Postby Bob on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:28 am

Areios wrote: yup, they are need some counter punching methods because they almost run away from the attacker.

Actually if I can recall my "unwanted" mantis days well, one dominate strategy of mantis fighting is enter with 3 or 5 punch/kick movement combinations and then retreat back and begin for the set up of another 3 or 5 movement combinations. These drills often were learned before we even touched a form.

Generally, the mantis player enters gets something and then exits and sets up for the next entrance. We used to train for gripping strength not for qinna but for going in gouging eyes, strike throat, pull ears, pull flesh of face, grab hair, pull flesh of inner thigh and groin area, kick groin area and then out---hopefully you brought something home metaphorically speaking.

No criticism on my part---these guys look very good to me. If I recall, Brendan Tunks was on the same trip as I was in 1998 or 2000 in Qingdao---I think he and his group ended up in Yan Tai and I am sure he has studied with some real top people in Yan Tai/Qing Dao---in addition to whatever else he has added.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:46 pm

nice clip. any kungfu school that does not spar, will never be able to use their hard earned coordination/body methods for real. i'm surprised they arent' wearing chest protectors.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby palmslam on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:59 pm

Bob ,

I was there in 2000. Brendans students were competing in Qingdao. We trained with him for 2 days. He's a great teacher with awesome power. Went on to Yantai, shanghai chin woo, etc. Oh the good old days. Taiwan will be next trip. Tunks is somebody you want to train with. Real hard core.

V/r

S. Manning
palmslam
Anjing

Postby Bob on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Everything was in such a worldwind I just remember the name and there was a group with Brendan Lai---Steve Cottrel was there and I thought I met Tunks but who knows.

I got pretty bad food poisoning from the Japanese hotel's food---Hai Tian---food was buffet style and left over---I played taiji in a end-of-tournament demo---fever, hit the bath room 7 times before I went on and I was dressed in white silk---I was going to opt out but Ma Long kept egging me on---Yang's taiji, white silk and la du zi---I don't know how I got by without making a mess. LOL

Tunks also wrote some articles for a praying mantis magazine or monthly newsletter?

Almost 10 years past---where does time go?
Last edited by Bob on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:55 am

I've never met him but have known for some time about a Brendan Tunks teaching praying mantis in Canberra.

looks like fun I might have to go and get kicked and punched by some of those dudes.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Michael Dasargo on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:14 am

Yup! B to the tizzo. cool cat and cool crew. As a matter of fact, their hip hop crew is called Koolism, and they were presented the aussie hip hop award by BEP.

check it out:

anyway, last I heard adem moved to thailand and nang opend up his own school carrying on the Kang Zhi Qiang legacy.
Michael Dasargo
Anjing

Return to Video Links