Naginata (Japanese pole arm)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Naginata (Japanese pole arm)

Postby Finny on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:18 pm

I always thought the odachi that the Shumpukan guys use was real cool:

Finny
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 am

My JJ teacher taught traditional Naginata .... cant remember which Ryuha. I had a go and remember it being super tough to handle and manipulate correctly. I had done a bunch of Iai and Kenjutsu at that point but its a whole different Ball game.

The sportative side is mainly 'kendo for women' in Japan i think. Guys do Kendo, girls do Naginata. :D

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by middleway on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby klonk on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:25 am

Found this site on Japanese pole arms: http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/polearms.htm It treats the nagamaki as a subspecies or specialized form of the naginata, an idea you also see elsewhere, and points out that naginata blade size varied according to fashion. Something fairly commonly seen is a short naginata blade recycled as a wakizashi, which is certainly practical, a beefy little sword Godzilla couldn't break. A big blade could become a tachi or katana, as here. http://samuraiswords-hawaii.com/id45.html

So I neither agree nor disagree with Z. K.'s point above, since it gets into the weirdly arcane sport of Japanese weapon terminology. Nagamaki blades and naginata blades clearly share design parameters and appearance, and both are encountered trimmed down to fit in sword koshirae, which is enough confusion for me. I would interpret the matter like so, all nagamakis are naginatas in a sense, but not all naginatas are big enough for use as nagamakis. ???

The rest of Stein's site is interesting too. http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm
Last edited by klonk on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:43 pm

The confusion is probably a result of the fact that there are two sorts of nagamaki, at least that I have seen. Both have similar blades and purposes, but one has a spear haft, and one has a sword hilt. Why, dunno. You will note that the website you referred to shows a spear hafted nagamaki. It all gets messy, particularly since there is evidence that most early Japanese blades where huge, and later recycled/trimmed down to naginata/nagamaki/katana etc.

Regarding Kendo/Naginata, kendo = boys, naginata = girls, Naginata is hard to find, even in Tokyo. I actually had an easier time tracking down a traditional ryuha than I did for the sport form. Usually both boys and girls do kendo.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Well, I prefer a shotgun, myself. As nearly as I can translate, "Browning Miroku Citori" is Japanese for "costs a bundle." ;)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links