Ving Tsun in the Ring

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ving Tsun in the Ring

Postby Sean on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:21 am

Here's a student of Philipp Bayer's in Germany trying his skills out in the ring (blue shorts). He loses by TKO, but gets in a few good shots. In his defence, it was his second fight of the day (lost the first one on the ground) and his opponent is in a higher weight class and has a much longer reach. You can see that he trys to stick to what he has learned, but for whatever reasons doesn't seem to use the right timing and distance.

Sean
Wuji

Re: Ving Tsun in the Ring

Postby Areios on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:50 am

I think mostly timing and the fact that you lost one already on the ground.
Areios
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:22 am

He never stepped in with his punches which meant he was always out of range, leaving him chain punching thin air. Respect for getting in there though!
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Sean on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:10 am

Exactly. He was probably afraid of getting taken down.
Sean
Wuji

Postby fuga on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:04 pm

The little man needs to work on safely closing the distance. It is too hard to fend off someone who has the reach and maintains his distance. This is one of the main things I struggle with as well.

I am not sure what the lesson learned is by fighting someone the next weight class up.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 am

You could see the difference in 'weight' of the punches, not in terms of opponents weight but how they hit.

The Ving Tsun guy had 'push' force in his punches they just didn't seem to penetrate as much as the 'swing' style, more curved punches the other guy had.

Props for getting in amongst it though!

Cheer
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby DuncanUS on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:08 pm

Yeah, a great effort to get into the ring and try out his stuff.

Footwork was the problem, though as much in defense as in offense. And as Middleway said, a huge problem with a lack of huge punches. This is, from my experience at least, Wing Chun's biggest problem - punching power (a lack of it).
DuncanUS
Santi

Postby Sean on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:08 am

The punching power in ving tsun comes from the integrated movement of the whole body. If your footwork is lacking you'll be lacking in the power department as well.
Sean
Wuji

Postby Dr.Rob on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:40 am

Props total props. Excellent effort. He needs to open his game (ground) but he has shown great essence of VT
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:46 am

I see two other things happening here that haven't been mentioned.

One, he is not protecting his head. His hands are by his chest. I realize that it could be his style but he does get TKOed which is usually what happens sooner or later if you don't protect your head.

Two, he isn't surprising his opponent. He seems to be using the same strategy throughout the fight. He doesn't mix it up with takedowns, kicks or even western boxing.

When I box I look like a boxer. Then when the other guy commits and thinks he's got me figured out I'll throw in some Taiji.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Antony Wood on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Hello Guys,

Yeah, it was good to see someone stepping into the ring and trying their stuff. I know that when youre in the ring its more difficult than it looks, but I think he should have been more aggressive, should have moved in quick to get in the range where Ving Tsun is most effective. When I watched the vid I just had to yell "move in, man! Do something!"

Anyway, I sure hope to see more people trying their stuff in the ring, I think its awesome!

Take Care all,

Antony Wood
Antony Wood
Anjing

Return to Video Links