From wrestling to boxing to chinese martial arts

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

From wrestling to boxing to chinese martial arts

Postby brennanos on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi,

I plan to make a series of videos in the next few months documenting my progress in using my Hung Gar and
Hsing-I training vs. boxers and muay thai fighters. I have a couple of videos so far. I feel like I'm somewhat unique in
that I wrestled for 10 years first, then boxed for 5 years, then started doing chinese martial arts.

My preferred style is Hung Gar, but I "supercharge" alot of my Hung Gar techniques with Hsing-I body mechanics. A few things I have learned so far:

1. Traditional martial arts are NOT combat sports. Combat sport is NOT self defense.
2. Putting 16 ounce gloves on your hands (effectively eliminating the ability grab) completely changes the game.
Large swathes of the Tiger/Crane form are now unavailable for use, as well as the pulling hand in most every
Hsing-I technique I know.
3. Stance training (both hsing-i and hung gar) has greatly increased my balance and stability in boxing.
4. Horse stance IS actually used during fighting, but I knew that already.

Here are the first two videos I have (I'm the guy in the blue pants):

I hope many more will follow soon.

Thanks,

Brennan
Last edited by brennanos on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brennanos

Re: From wrestling to boxing to chinese martial arts

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:16 pm

I think you have the right idea and i like that you're trying to work with understanding the hand striking of hung gar, hsingyi, and boxing. your form is pretty good and you have some decent speed. you throw alot of jabs and that is good as well as keep a lot of foot movement, the other guys tend to clip you on some simple shots however. You clipped them on some body shots and some jab cross attacks. i didnt think it was to wise to put your hands down and go into horse stance and dodge or play drunken style. you also put yourself in some bad positions with clinching to going inside... a good MMA guy would use the guillotine choke. Use dirty boxing! yeah looking forward to seeing more and in the ring too. If you're going to wrestle and do take downs be sure use mats. good work.
neijia_boxer

Postby JAB on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:18 pm

You are not Mayeather son, best to keep your hands up. And quit crossing your feet. Anyone semi decent at MMA is going to hurt you with either one of those rookie mistakes. Boxing for 5 years makes me wonder why your coach did not teach you to keep your hands up always!
Otherwise not bad.
JAB

Postby Kurt Robbins on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:09 am

I am not sure what your going after, so I not sure my advice will help.
Your flat footed and that will slow your ability to move.
You need to keep your elbows in (especially if you transition to kick boxing) and bring your shoulder in and more round (they are being nice to you - so protect your chin).
Like Jake said don't cross your step (you need to develop your foot work).
Distance your opponent and don't over reach your jab.
I would transition from boxing to kickboxing and then to Muay Thai in order to get ingrained with the different nuances that each system opens.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:31 am

Respect to anybody that actually puts the gloves on and stops hitting thin air for a while! But a question.... what's with the crazy horse stance episode at .36 in clip 2? You're kind of bobbing and weaving in it. Why? What happens when kicks are allowed??!!?! :o
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby brennanos on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:12 am

GrahamB wrote:Respect to anybody that actually puts the gloves on and stops hitting thin air for a while! But a question.... what's with the crazy horse stance episode at .36 in clip 2? You're kind of bobbing and weaving in it. Why? What happens when kicks are allowed??!!?! :o

I was messing around, nothing more. If kicks are allowed, I don't do that due to not wanting to get kicked in the face.
I have sparred with the Muay Thai guys and I adopt different tactics in those cases. Hopefully soon I will have some new video
sparring those guys.
brennanos

Postby edededed on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:02 pm

I don't know much about Hung Gar's strategies and tactics, so I cannot comment much, but... Does Hung Gar hop/bounce/weave like that? I dunno...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby brennanos on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:16 pm

edededed wrote:I don't know much about Hung Gar's strategies and tactics, so I cannot comment much, but... Does Hung Gar hop/bounce/weave like that? I dunno...

No, it doesn't. In the first clip, I was experimenting with stepping forward into a T stance, but for the most part it was just boxing sparring.
In the second video, towards the end (2:50), I was using "Curve the wing, sink the waist" and tried to follow it with "throw ball through waves" and "punch inside sleeve". This sequence is actually directly from the Tiger and Crane form.

I thought it would be more of a fun experiment if people on the forum requested that I try certain things. I could then make a video
of me trying to do it, and everybody can see what happens and comment. Anything from Hebei Hsing-I or Hung Gar Tiger/Crane is fair
game. I also want to do this against wrestlers since both arts I study are really designed for the grappling range, and use lots of grabbing,
trapping, pulling and pushing, etc... which boxing does not allow.
brennanos

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:49 am

One thing I like to do is throw beng quans out as feelers and built a moving bridge while throwing bengs over, under, and around the arms being bridged. Mind you I haven't got a video of me sparring and if I did make one it would likely suck donkey dicks. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:36 am

That's just not the body mechanics I'd expect of someone who wrestled for 10 years and boxed for 5 years.
strawdog
Great Old One

Return to Video Links