Posts Clips of your HAO

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Posts Clips of your HAO

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:43 am

The best way to coordinate the body is by strengthening it sufficiently to make the movements correctly. I understand your perspective, but its like saying the best way to become flexible enough to do an axe kick is to do an axe kick. In reality, that's just a good way to build bad habits and rip your tendons.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:27 pm

depends how you go about it... By standing how are you strengthening your movement? This is a rhetorical question. Having the opinion of not standing is not common and I do recall several attacks as a result of saying this in the past. Personally I am not interested in people playing the man not the ball... and standing vs non-standing often leads to this. I am not suggesting that is so with you Zhong.

The best way to coordinate the body is by strengthening it sufficiently to make the movements correctly.
I agree, but in this case I think the best way to strengthen the body is to work on the movements. Certainly as I understand it. I am not dissing standing here, that is another method people use to develop, just not the way I have been taught. I actually find doing large amounts of standing to be far easier than to spend the equivalent time actually practicing the movements and feeling out the connections while in motion. Further I am not convinced that developing the structure when standing actually transfers into moving.

I understand your perspective, but its like saying the best way to become flexible enough to do an axe kick is to do an axe kick.
I think here you are mixing 2 things... the best way to get flexible is to train flexibility... the best way to train axe kick is to do an axe kick. They are seperate things... if you want a good axe kick you need to be flexible. If my problem is in the movement it is the movement that needs to be worked on.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, though it will sound bad. I don't think your problems are in an inability to do the movement, per se. Watching you makes me think that you lack strength in the smaller muscles that are developed through stance training to be able to do the movement with proper control. See what I am getting at? Particularly, you will notice this if you use a deeper stance. I have the same problem, and many people do. It's one of the reason for the tendency to "rise" and "fall" overtly during the shifts in balance. We allow our larger muscles to take the brunt of it, creating a jerking as they tense suddenly to take up the slack, rather than a smoother transition provided by full support of the muscular-fascial system.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:02 pm

no worries, i am not taking it the wrong way! I agree that it is partly a lack of strength, which comes from not practicing the movement nearly enough i think. My legs are plenty strong from lots of things (well where pre injury) For me it is getting a consistency of practice going rather than anything else. Again I agree with what you say, i just don't necessarily agree with the3 method of fixing it.

I have absolutely no problem with criticism coming my way, particularly when it is valid/ constuctive.
Last edited by Mut on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:44 am

Standing is key. It isn't the same as movement, nor vice versa. Stillness in movement, that sort of thing.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:59 am

I respectfully disagree with that statement. There are different methods espoused by different teachers. If you practice under a teacher who advocates lots of standing then standing is key for you and your method. If you practice under a teacher who advocates not standing... certainly not for long periods then it would not be part of your method. To apply a universal that it is key is erroneous in my view
Mut
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links