Mikhail Ryabko Seminar

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Mikhail Ryabko Seminar

Postby dtactics on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:43 pm

This is rare footage of the first time Vladimir brought his students to study with his master Mikhail. There's an official version from HQ but this one shows a less edited perspective. Enjoy!
dtactics
Anjing

Re: Mikhail Ryabko Seminar

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:56 am

I love watching his movement, but also well done to that last guy for not throwing himself on the ground like the others. He made him work a bit harder.
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:29 am

I didn't see anyone throwing themselves to the ground. the second guy is alex kostic, who is often well-received on this forum.
Ian

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:32 am

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:40 am

...or understanding
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:43 am

No two people have the same perspective or understanding. So, yes.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:46 am

:-)

The oddest one in those clips is the guy who shouts a lot - Mikhail explained it as fear coming out I think
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:33 am

I should add my understanding of that particular work is that it isn't attack and defend or can I stop Mikhail taking me down, it's exploratory work on tension and structure and reaction. You'll see how when people later on use a lot of tension MR remains very soft and gentle. The focus is on what you do rather than Mikhail and what you gain from it. Trouble is without that understanding (even from people doing the drill sometimes) it can be taken as some sort of competition or struggle.
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:52 am

I think it would help to know what they are doing in that first clip. The only translation into English we get is something like "in general the way the person moves" then they start off.

What are the parameters of this drill? What is the 'attackers' instruction? What are the rules? Is it "now, try to move around and adapt to me throwing stuff in there" or is it "try to attack me" or is it what? There's not really any explanation of what they're doing.

In other news, I really liked this clip with the wrestler guy at the start:

To my non-educated eyes it looks like he's trying to 'get' M, but failing and then ends up on his ass. His explanation of what happens is helpful too. However, the vid then moves straight onto duck-walking man and I'm like wtf? Wtf is that all about? Excuse my bluntness, but to my (uneducated) eyes it looks like it's going from the sublime to the ridiculous ;D

So go on, educate me - what exactly are the parameters they are working within? Because Duck Walking Man and Wrestler Man seem to be playing two completely different 'games' to me ???
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:03 am

When you work with Mikhail like this there aren't really any parameters given as such - I guess that's why you see the two different games. Different people try different things, react in different ways and get different things from the work - it's a personal thing. It doesn't always make it easy to understand and in many ways Vladimir etc's approach is more accesible. But it's always interesting when you experience it. Some people take it as "attack defend" but then you can also see / experience this as body manipulation/correction work too, so it's healing work in that sense
Last edited by RobP2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:13 am

Ok.....................

:-\

So, only Duck Walkting Man really knows what Duck Walking Man is doing and why he is walking like a duck? I'm not trying to take the piss here, I just have no idea what he is doing.
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby dtactics on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:22 am

Duck walking man is doing a drill which will prevent him falling over as easily as Wrestling man. Wrestling man is John Giduck the author of "Terror at Beslan". He is counter terrorist expert and highly regarded in our LE community in the US. He's had a falling out with Vlad and is now doing his own thing.

MR is giving students instructions on removing their tensions and maintaining structure so as to be more effective and mobile attackers. Otherwise, he'll handily know them over.

Screamer annoys me as he's just like all those stupid ukes who feel a need to exaggerate their master's skills. MR hardly needs parlor clowns like these in his entourage. His skills are for real!
dtactics
Anjing

Postby RobP2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:23 am

Lol, well how would I know, you'd have to ask him I guess. Looks to me like he's trying to maintain a straight spine, so is going into the squat to keep his form. Perhaps for him that's the most important aspect of what's going on. For you or me it may be something else
Last edited by RobP2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:24 am

GrahamB wrote:Ok.....................

:-\

So, only Duck Walkting Man really knows what Duck Walking Man is doing and why he is walking like a duck? I'm not trying to take the piss here, I just have no idea what he is doing.

Lol, well how would I know, you'd have to ask him I guess. Looks to me like he's trying to maintain a straight spine, so is going into the squat to keep his form. Perhaps for him that's the most important aspect of what's going on. For you or me it may be something else
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:38 am

dtactics wrote:Duck walking man is doing a drill which will prevent him falling over as easily as Wrestling man. Wrestling man is John Giduck the author of "Terror at Beslan". He is counter terrorist expert and highly regarded in our LE community in the US. He's had a falling out with Vlad and is now doing his own thing.

MR is giving students instructions on removing their tensions and maintaining structure so as to be more effective and mobile attackers. Otherwise, he'll handily know them over.

Screamer annoys me as he's just like all those stupid ukes who feel a need to exaggerate their master's skills. MR hardly needs parlor clowns like these in his entourage. His skills are for real!

Yes, you can see that when he handles John Giduck so easily. He does seem to attract a lot of other interesting psychological types though... :D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links