Powerful Chen Taiji Perf

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Powerful Chen Taiji Perf

Postby Andy_S on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:34 pm

Some powerful - and clearly performed - Chen Taijiquan in NYC's Central Park. Anyone know this chap? Looking at his movement, I would guess he is a Chen Yu alumnus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKp_HH2a ... re=related
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Re: Powerful Chen Taiji Perf

Postby kreese on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:05 am

I hate to say it, but it looks like he is using a similar choreography as Chen Yu, but with a different body method, in particular the horse stance. This is no comment on the man's skill level, just an observation.

Watch this person, a disciple of Chen Yu:

His knees don't oscillate nearly as much as the gentleman in Andy's post. This is one of the aspects of Chen Yu's taiji that I could never quite figure out, but it appears to be a distinct aspect of their shen fa regardless of the personal flavor of the player. There are other subtle differences that are hard to put into words, such as the way he jumps and the way the parts of his body relate to each other, weight shifting, range of motion in fa jin movements, but again I am far from being in any position other than to point out some differences based on having trained a little Chen style and having compared and contrasted with Chen Yu's style. No judgement. But there are certain things that appear to remain consistent among those that study Chen Yu's taiji.

Other examples:

Last edited by kreese on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby dtactics on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:22 am

Andy_S wrote:Some powerful - and clearly performed - Chen Taijiquan in NYC's Central Park. Anyone know this chap? Looking at his movement, I would guess he is a Chen Yu alumnus.

Indeed. That was beautiful. He moves better than a 15 year old.
dtactics
Anjing

Postby Adam S on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:40 am

couldn't find much info on him but did find this

"Master Yu is originally from China and has studied with three of the four tigers, Chen Yu, Chen Xiao Wang and Chen Zheng Lei. He teaches forms, push hands and real martial applications and weapons. Master Yu also teaches the old and new forms."

Obviously CY isn't one of the 'tigers'- but that explains the difference between the choreography & body method

very similar to how I'm taught........so I like it 8-)
Last edited by Adam S on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:45 am

Andy_S wrote:Some powerful - and clearly performed - Chen Taijiquan in NYC's Central Park. Anyone know this chap? Looking at his movement, I would guess he is a Chen Yu alumnus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKp_HH2a ... re=related

Thanks Andy!

I can rarely stomach watching people do Chen Tai Chi forms, especially in silk pajamas, but this guy was great - really held my attention. Clear moves with obvious purpose and great expression of power. Loved it. Thanks.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:18 am

I can rarely stomach watching people do Chen Tai Chi forms, especially in silk pajamas, but this guy was great - really held my attention. Clear moves with obvious purpose and great expression of power. Loved it. Thanks.

This is a rare occasion indeed!! me and the G man actually agree on something!!

Thanks for posting this Andy!

Cheers
Chris :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:23 am

middleway wrote:

This is a rare occasion indeed!! me and the G man actually agree on something!!

Thanks for posting this Andy!

Cheers
Chris :D

Yes, we agree, but you have only a low-level understanding ;D :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:38 am

Yes, we agree, but you have only a low-level understanding

i know :(
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:14 am

Very impressive, really enjoyed that! Particularly deep stance, is Chen usually done like that? Looked a bit ow on the knees in places, but if he can still move like that then it's clearly not a problem ;)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby enricos on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:29 am

Hi folks,

New here but long time into martial arts.

I met Master Yu by chance in Aug. 2009. He is willing to share his knowledge, the only problem for me is I live close to Chicago.

Enricos
Last edited by enricos on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
enricos
Anjing

Postby cdobe on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:30 am

No big difference to the Jesse Tsao apps IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPMWutnSdc
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:10 am

mrtoes wrote:Particularly deep stance, is Chen usually done like that?

As a general rule 'xinjia' is done this way
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:42 am

I'd say he has an excellent stance:
His feet are pointing in the same direction throughout
His knees barely move
He is very low, but sits back into it and keeps his back straight (ie he is not relieving the weight by leaning forward)

Do Chen people usually have such a deep stance? Clearly, no: This guy is exceptional. All in all, he has excellent technique, IMHO.

Personally, I have never heard that xinjia is customarily performed lower than laojia or xiaojia: IME, it is all personal preference, (though Ma Hong's group do tend to have very low stances).

As for the apps - well, yeah.

As noted in a post on Segs' "Hrrrrmmmm" thread, form "applications" are not the way fighting is generally taught in Chen Taiji in the village: The format for that is the shuai PH. Oddly, in the west, hardly anyone does the latter, so a hell of a lot of people teach the former.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby ChiBelly on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 pm

kreese wrote:His knees don't oscillate nearly as much as the gentleman in Andy's post. This is one of the aspects of Chen Yu's taiji that I could never quite figure out, but it appears to be a distinct aspect of their shen fa regardless of the personal flavor of the player. There are other subtle differences that are hard to put into words, such as the way he jumps and the way the parts of his body relate to each other, weight shifting, range of motion in fa jin movements, but again I am far from being in any position other than to point out some differences based on having trained a little Chen style and having compared and contrasted with Chen Yu's style. No judgement. But there are certain things that appear to remain consistent among those that study Chen Yu's taiji.

Those are keen observations, especially regarding the knees. To me, the frame looks most like Chen Zhenglei's lineage, with a hybrid of other influences. I can use the Yilu video for a couple examples (since the movements are slower):

- Example at :11

- In Chen Yu's method, the knees are not allowed to go so far past the foot, even when trying to go low. When you are sinking, the effect of this is that the shin stays more vertical and the thighs take on more of the weight burden.
- Notice also that the front foot is not flat on the ground. This is partially a consequence of the angle of the shin and knee location. It does not actually touch the ground until he shifts his weight forward at :15, when the shin becomes vertical.
- In Chen Yu's method, the torso would remain more vertical, even when going low. It's a different issue to keep your torso vertical when you are holding a horse versus when you are in transition.

:20-:26

- In Chen Yu's method, the knees would not swim or collapse inward (dantian does the swimming instead). At most, the kua would open and close in a tight fashion, and any movement of the knees would be a consequence of that.

I really enjoyed watching his video and think he moves uncannily like a younger person.
Last edited by ChiBelly on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
-
ChiBelly
Grandmaster of Mouth Gongfu
https://www.facebook.com/molingtaiji
ChiBelly
Huajing

Postby Methods on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Yeh - me like this allot...
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji