Luo is endlessy enjoyable to watch

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Luo is endlessy enjoyable to watch

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Just sayin'

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: Luo is endlessy enjoyable to watch

Postby Pandrews1982 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:26 am

Edited.
Last edited by Pandrews1982 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:37 am

Leopard Climbing a Tree...
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby chud on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 am

Pandrews1982 wrote:so is John Cleese :)

I've always liked John Cleese's apology from A Fish Called Wanda:

"I apologize. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to
repeat any such slander at any time in the future."

I want to use that in conversation some time.
chud
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:17 am

Pandrews1982 wrote:so is John Cleese :)

Excellent Golden Cock posture.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Graham thinks golden cock is excellent!
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:05 am

Pandrews - please check your PM.
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:51 pm

I've removed my original post by request. It wasn't meant to be an insult to Lou but some people may have seen it that way.

On a serious note, if you listen to what he says on the clip its hard to hear completely and to understand the context. I heard him say "its about a dual empathy" I think that is quite an important point in fighting, you need to empathise with your opponent to understand some part of their nature in order to be better prepared for what they might do. It could be as simple as reading body language, which way is he likely to move, or it could be seeing the guy is nervous to enter and take advantage of it. I don't know if that's what he was trying to put across in that clip or not, another side to dual empathy (or "shared xin" as I know it) is moving in harmony with the opponent, so if he moves in you move away at the same speed and distance, if you are too slow or don't move enough you haven't read the guy and you get hit. If you react too early or step too far then you open up a space which you may then need to bridge again.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Eh, really? I have it on good authority that John Cleese is one badass ninja :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby internalenthusiast on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:30 pm

fwiw, i think i heard him a bit differently. it was very hard for me to hear clearly this brief clip.

but i thought i heard something like: "this is too empathy, so no, no, no, give me some shield". i interpreted what i thought i heard as meaning: this is too open/vulnerable, so move in giving yourself some "shield/covering" if you want to enter this way.

i could be very wrong of course. and i'd be interested in knowing what people feel is his point here. perhaps someone on the board was even there for this workshop?

i have never met luo, but yes, i always enjoy seeing him demonstrate.

PS: i have met john cleese a number of times, and he's a very smart man, and of course a bad ass comedian...yeah, to a ninja level! ;D
Last edited by internalenthusiast on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby Snow on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:41 pm

internalenthusiast wrote:i interpreted what i thought i heard as meaning: this is too open/vulnerable, so move in giving yourself some "shield/covering" if you want to enter this way.

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on, and it's great to see you all again! Nice that I can be of use (I think) the first time back. I wasn't there, of course, so I could be wrong, but I know his accent very well and I believe he's saying "empty" rather than "empathy," and my interpretation of his point is the same as internalenthusiast's above. The space in front of him is empty at first, and then he shows how to fill it. You can see in the beginning how he's showing that his face is quite open to attack (he sticks his chin out to emphasize it), so he's shielding his space with the movements he's demonstrating.
Snow
Anjing

Postby internalenthusiast on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:53 pm

thanks, snow!

i was just considering a further PS, enlisting your help if you were still here.

i'm glad you are...!

:)
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Return to Video Links