The Great Karate Myth

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The Great Karate Myth

Postby Bob on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:51 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2RVgR9 ... re=related

'The Great Karate Myth' is simultaneously a controversial exposé, and an instructional manual. It constructively challenges virtually everything the seasoned Karate enthusiast and novice alike may believe about the art of Karate, its origins and its original purpose.

Bob
Great Old One

Re: The Great Karate Myth

Postby Bob on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:05 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsXj8NJH ... re=channel

Uechi Ryu Sanchin performed by Nathan Johnson as it was originally intended - with Sai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeHbH8x_ ... re=channel

Uechi Kanei performs Sanchin kata without Sai

Comments:

Even the name "Karate" is Japanese and from 1936! About application even Nagamine, a prominent okinawan master, report that even application are of moden coming! The Uechi version is the original one, learned in China, as seisan and sanseru, and all of them are sai kata, techiques are intended for prevent the sword to be drawn and disarming. Totally a Chinese Police Tool!!!

Okinawa-te and Kara-te (kara in this case referring to the kanji for T'ang dynasty China) were blended over time to form Okinawan karate - the term for "empty hand" was accepted even before the 1914 demonstration to the Japanese public, but was only specified after 1922, when Funikoshi Gichin and others demonstrated for the Royal court of Japan. I recommend you read his book "Karate-Do, My Way of Life" before making statements of fact.

Yes, modern karate kata has "evolved" to become more and more "crispy" and looks more robotic. Former world champion Tsuguo Sakumoto performs his kata with much much more fluidity than his very own students. The long post after certain movement in WKF kata championship is really not of my taste.

Kanbun Sensei learned a form of Tiger/Crane/Dragon from Shu Shiwa. Look it up.

There are some instructors of Uechi Ryu and variations of it all over the world. Some are knock offs, some are pretty good.

George Mattson is in Florida. Shinyu Gushi was in California last I read/heard. There are others. You just have to take the time to look.

Osu.

With all due respect Johnson Sensei, I don't agree with your conclusion of Sanchin being a weapons kata. Too many versions of Sanchin/Sam-Chien exist and up until your videos, none are done with a weapon.

It is wonderful that you have found another use for the Sai, but I wouldn't say that people weren't aware of Sanchin being a weapons kata. It was never there.

Osu.

Sanchin is not a weapon kata or derived from any weapon form in my belief too :)
Anyway, thanks for posting.. Uechi Kanei is one of the few best of the best in Okinawa in last century

Sanchin comes from Fukien White Crane Kung fu and is also found in Five Ancestors Fist/Animal styles.This is just another way of doing it,with spear hands vs.closed fist{like in Goju Ryu}...this is awesome.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:43 am

It is true that karate has changed a great deal since its days in Okinawa (although I wonder about the sai idea here); a lot of what is popular is all based on (current and arbitrary) image, such as the crispiness, the uniforms, and the whole "osu!" thing.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:55 am

This chap paints with rather broad brushstrokes doesn't he?

Speaking even more broadly than he seems to be (and I would add that there certainly ARE punches and kicks in CMA forms): It seems pretty clear that:
(1) In pre-modern, pre-firearm socieites, fighting with cold weapons was much more important than fighting without;
(2) Many techniques, body methods and even inspirations for entire fighting systems that are, today taught predominantly as empty handed arts, stem from original weapons techniques.

However, his all-or-nothing statements seem over the top.

BTW, Johnson is a dead ringer for our man Steve Rowe....any family connection there, d'ye think?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:32 am

Andy_S wrote:This chap paints with rather broad brushstrokes doesn't he?

Speaking even more broadly than he seems to be (and I would add that there certainly ARE punches and kicks in CMA forms): It seems pretty clear that:
(1) In pre-modern, pre-firearm socieites, fighting with cold weapons was much more important than fighting without;
(2) Many techniques, body methods and even inspirations for entire fighting systems that are, today taught predominantly as empty handed arts, stem from original weapons techniques.

However, his all-or-nothing statements seem over the top.

BTW, Johnson is a dead ringer for our man Steve Rowe....any family connection there, d'ye think?

I think Nathan would resent that ;D

We've been good friends for some 23 or so years and a part of each others development. Nathan is a very engaging and energised guy with his research and training. If you get the chance, visit and train with him I'll guarantee that you will enjoy the experience. He's had me take part in ancient Egyptian chanting and drumming in 'sacred groves' at the dead of night to pushing hands and joint locking to Chinese versions of Japanese kata in a university gym - never a dull moment! He's also taught on many of my seminars and courses.

I love his controversial and colourful character, the Martial Arts would be a duller place without his energy.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:53 am

That Uechi dude looks really good.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Karate is of Okinawan origin ad when Funakoshi brought it to Japan, that change of location, attitude, and habits all added to its metamorphesis in its new homeland. Mainland Japan adopted many idea and adapted them to its own modernized environment. Even the art of Shotokan is an adaption of either Tomari-te, Naha-te or Shuri-ti so to 'standardize' is previous status to a modern physical fitness gymnasium culture was just a part of said culture. Further decline after WW2, with more de-militarization of 'native martial traditions' MAY have pushed the hand/fit/kick regimen to a new phase of existance for it to survive.
I see and understand Mr Johnson's POV and he has truly opened his 'heart' and 'mind' to see through the usual stuff that many accept as gospel!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Video Links