HsingI: What do you think of this chap?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

HsingI: What do you think of this chap?

Postby Andy_S on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:43 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N_wIu1g ... re=related

To me, he has speed and strenght, but gets a bit wild towards the end. But I like his speed and flavor.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Re: HsingI: What do you think of this chap?

Postby mrtoes on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:40 am

Nice and snappy, I likes my hsing i a bit more efficient though, bit wild as you say. But who am I to criticise - he's miles better than me. Pretty sure the bits that haven't been slowed down, have been sped up.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 am

There's a strong bagua influence in there, via his father.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:03 am

think he is moving very well.
Areios
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 am

As indicated in the name of the form set, 大连环拳, the primary focus of the training is intended to be the overall linked continuity of the movement patterns in the set, like a chain of rings (连环), regardless of the speed at which the set is performed or the amount of power issued in the postures.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:19 pm

As alluded to above, that is Sha Junjie, the son of Sha Guozheng. My understanding is that he concentrates more on his Wuxingtongbei these days. If you look closely at his hips and shoulders you will see something very interesting going on. He is, by all accounts that I have heard, very good indeed. As far as speed goes - yes, it does look like it was sped up in the editing (clipping frames) - which is odd, because he doesn't need that (I suspect it may have been the fault of whomever posted the set). I have seen his Wuxingtongbei performed at (his) training speed, and he is quite fast without editing tricks.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:09 pm

He appears to be putting too much power into the form and showing his tongbei training influence (unconsciously!)
His power appears good enough (influence of tongbei!) to deter his opponent so in that regard he is fearless, He is fast so that counts for him striking his opponent before he gets hurt and he is dynamic enough in his skill.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Felipe Bidó on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:39 am

yeniseri wrote:He appears to be putting too much power into the form and showing his tongbei training influence (unconsciously!)

Or maybe he likes his Xingyi with Tongbei flavor.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby klonk on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:34 pm

I liked it a lot. He's finding his own way among ideas he has liked, something few people ever attempt.

Say what you will, I would endeavor most earnestly to keep out of his way when he's doing the techniques shown.

I am about ten floors below his level, and can't find the elevator, but I will share a story that shows not everyone appreciates personalizing your practice and adapting your art. Once one of these tai chee gentleness, peace and harmony ladies told me, "You do tai cheee like you want to hit somebody." Clearly, this was intended as a criticism. Almost, an accusation.

I have this bad habit of saying the first thing that pops into my head. "Gee, thanks, lady!"
Last edited by klonk on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Daniel-san on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:30 am

Last edited by Daniel-san on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel-san
Anjing

Postby wiesiek on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:11 am

edited to fit "whiskey in the..."'theme
very disturbing for my taste

perrformance for itself - very g.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Martin on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Ken - I'd be interested in what you see in his shoulder/hip movement...
Martin
Great Old One

Postby wuwei on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 pm

The traditional purist in me was about to say "He's very good, but I wouldn't want that kind of flavor in my XYQ". But on the other hand, klonk is probably right too, he is not afraid of absorbing all the influences and made it his own. That process should start with his father, who maybe learned close to half a million different styles.
wuwei
Anjing

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:13 am

Martin: Check your PM
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Return to Video Links