Aikido Sankyo Hook Punch Defense

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Aikido Sankyo Hook Punch Defense

Postby emptycloud on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 am

I would say that aikdo can be split into two things, flow practice and applied, what we see in the clip is in the flow practice area, applied aikido would employ atemi strikes to any numerous parts of the body first, and if a technique should arise after that then all the better if not, more strikes, trips etc, however that is no longer aikido. It is always worth remembering that aikdo is not a martial art however as a bi-product martial ability of quite a high level is possible. The fact that it is practiced as a martial art is evidence that the founders idea has failed, not every where but in general. (it never made sense anyway)
emptycloud

Postby Tiga Pukul on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:35 am

Hmm try this technique against a boxer and you get you *ss handed over..
The hook is not really a tight hook so it leaves the defender for plenty of space to come in. But still, like others said, why would you almost give your back and don't check the right hand? Afterwards the defender completely gives his back to his opponent whilst grabbing the wrist...hmmm sadly I don't see a lot which is good in this...
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby wiesiek on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:55 am

complety unrealistic, as most of aikido open teachings,

simply why do not to go with punch, straight into nose?
i mean ,
this is circular attack - best way to deal with it is sraight line,
or if you like to train 'stick and follow"
i can think of 2 or 3 throws
which can be easly done after first contact /JW favorite hip throw, for ex. :D /
not to mention elbows...

i don`t buy this "learning leverage" things
learning "how to" by unrealistic manner leads into disaster in real combat >:(
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby emptycloud on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:37 am

I shall now scream this at the top of my lungs," AIKIDO IS NOT AND WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A MARTIAL ART....THAT IS WHY IT DOESNT WORK, ITS NOT MEANT TO WORK AS A MARTIAL ART....MORIHEI THE FOUNDER WAS ON A SPIRITUAL QUEST AND FOR BETTER OR WORSE AIKIDO WAS THE PRODUCT OF THAT QUEST. ALL HE KNEW WAS MARTIAL ARTS SO THAT IS HOW HE GAVE FORM TO HIS SPIRITUAL QUEST, IF HE'D BEEN A PIANO PLAYER IT WOULD OF BEEN MUSIC...GET MY DRIFT...HE COULD ALREADY KILL A MAN IN TEN DIFFERENT WAYS BEFORE HE HAD THE VISION OF AIKIDO...HE WAS TRYING TO TURN THE WHOLE MARTIAL THING AROUND...MOVE IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF VIOLENCE...BUT FOR BETTER OR WORSE IT WAS A CRAZY IDEA... BUT MARTIAL ARTS IS ALL HE KNEW HE COULDN'T EXPRESS HIS VISION OF PEACE IN ANY OTHER WAY.. EVEN JAPANESE TEACHERS DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT HE WAS GOING ON ABOUT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MAKE LOGICAL SENSE...SO FORGET TRYING TO WORK OUT IF AIKIDO IS EFFECTIVE AS A MARTIAL ART ...YOUR MISSING THE POINT BIG TIME"...there i feel better now
emptycloud

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:51 am

But... is it effective as a spiritual quest?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:58 am

GrahamB wrote:But... is it effective as a spiritual quest?

Aikido is an oddity, spirituality is a highly personalized process so i couldn't comment on that.
emptycloud

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:04 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:07 am

AIKIDO IS NOT AND WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A MARTIAL ART...

I know one yoshinkan guy, in States now, sometimes we speak on the phone, last time I mentioned something along this lines to him - as its a fairly popular concept among some of the aikidokas in Poland - we had some good few minutes of laughter:)

1. EVEN IF aikido is not a martial art but a spiritual development thing (actually I think everything is as every action changes you) this spiritual development is built upon a foundation of martial art - so if the foundation is shit the development will also be.

2. Morihei taught different things in different periods of time to different students - so the trick is not to look at the end result but at the path. And along the path the guy was one scary martial arts motherfucker - producing students like Gozo Shioda - who ie. said - in fight 70% is atemi:) So I think one should follow that path not mimic the end result.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:04 am

emptycloud wrote:I shall now scream this at the top of my lungs," AIKIDO IS NOT AND WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A MARTIAL ART....THAT IS WHY IT DOESNT WORK, ITS NOT MEANT TO WORK AS A MARTIAL ART....MORIHEI THE FOUNDER WAS ON A SPIRITUAL QUEST AND FOR BETTER OR WORSE AIKIDO WAS THE PRODUCT OF THAT QUEST. ALL HE KNEW WAS MARTIAL ARTS SO THAT IS HOW HE GAVE FORM TO HIS SPIRITUAL QUEST, IF HE'D BEEN A PIANO PLAYER IT WOULD OF BEEN MUSIC...GET MY DRIFT...HE COULD ALREADY KILL A MAN IN TEN DIFFERENT WAYS BEFORE HE HAD THE VISION OF AIKIDO...HE WAS TRYING TO TURN THE WHOLE MARTIAL THING AROUND...MOVE IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF VIOLENCE...BUT FOR BETTER OR WORSE IT WAS A CRAZY IDEA... BUT MARTIAL ARTS IS ALL HE KNEW HE COULDN'T EXPRESS HIS VISION OF PEACE IN ANY OTHER WAY.. EVEN JAPANESE TEACHERS DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT HE WAS GOING ON ABOUT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MAKE LOGICAL SENSE...SO FORGET TRYING TO WORK OUT IF AIKIDO IS EFFECTIVE AS A MARTIAL ART ...YOUR MISSING THE POINT BIG TIME"...there i feel better now

Don't tell that to Steven Segal ;D
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:02 am

I could see that app working against a very big wild drunken haymaker but thats about it.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 am

GrahamB wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NitLZwRr5Ok

Interesting technique, but what do you think? Could you ever do this in real life without the co-operation of your partner?

There are many techniques that aikido and baquazhang and taijiquan share and this is one that can work! Obviously the skill of the opponent is a main factor. Fair lady, fan through back and brush knee complements the above and depending on how you want to deal with the opponent, whether break his forearm, elbow, wrist coupled with the brutality of the onslaught that continued the encounter!

Concerning aikido as a martial art, it always has been! Post WW2 de-martialization of all systems (external manifestation) to fit a PE curriculum has been in force since then and many people are accustomed to that said post WW2 era.
Last edited by yeniseri on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby jpaton on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 pm

yeniseri wrote:There are many techniques that aikido and baquazhang and taijiquan share and this is one that can work! Obviously the skill of the opponent is a main factor. Fair lady, fan through back and brush knee complements the above and depending on how you want to deal with the opponent, whether break his forearm, elbow, wrist coupled with the brutality of the onslaught that continued the encounter!

overly complex is overly complex. it doesn't make a difference what art. both fair lady and brush knee have simple working uses that depend on basic principles not a complaint partner.

the reason the hook work is because there simple and quick. the reason apps like this don't work is because the complex and slow.
Last edited by jpaton on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby dtactics on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:33 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:
emptycloud wrote:I shall now scream this at the top of my lungs," AIKIDO IS NOT AND WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A MARTIAL ART....THAT IS WHY IT DOESNT WORK, ITS NOT MEANT TO WORK AS A MARTIAL ART....MORIHEI THE FOUNDER WAS ON A SPIRITUAL QUEST AND FOR BETTER OR WORSE AIKIDO WAS THE PRODUCT OF THAT QUEST. ALL HE KNEW WAS MARTIAL ARTS SO THAT IS HOW HE GAVE FORM TO HIS SPIRITUAL QUEST, IF HE'D BEEN A PIANO PLAYER IT WOULD OF BEEN MUSIC...GET MY DRIFT...HE COULD ALREADY KILL A MAN IN TEN DIFFERENT WAYS BEFORE HE HAD THE VISION OF AIKIDO...HE WAS TRYING TO TURN THE WHOLE MARTIAL THING AROUND...MOVE IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF VIOLENCE...BUT FOR BETTER OR WORSE IT WAS A CRAZY IDEA... BUT MARTIAL ARTS IS ALL HE KNEW HE COULDN'T EXPRESS HIS VISION OF PEACE IN ANY OTHER WAY.. EVEN JAPANESE TEACHERS DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT HE WAS GOING ON ABOUT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MAKE LOGICAL SENSE...SO FORGET TRYING TO WORK OUT IF AIKIDO IS EFFECTIVE AS A MARTIAL ART ...YOUR MISSING THE POINT BIG TIME"...there i feel better now

Don't tell that to Steven Segal ;D

Brilliant Emptycloud! I've been screaming the same thing forever now and I'd say it to Steven Seagal anyday. His bodyguard was little Randy Williams (Wing Chun) which speaks to his faith in his uchi-dechis. Randy probably taught him more about fighting then all his years dancing/doing Aikido.
Last edited by dtactics on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtactics
Anjing

Postby dtactics on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:36 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I could see that app working against a very big wild drunken haymaker but thats about it.

Yup, Aikido guys are taught the same thing. Go find a drunk and sankyo pin his ass once he's passed out... be sure to keep your back straight and three palms up!
Last edited by dtactics on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtactics
Anjing

Postby Alexander on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Depends on a lot of things... but I would've probably caught him in the jaw with my right cross coming.
Alexander
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links