Tai Chi Thailand 1960

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi Thailand 1960

Postby Chanchu on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSnob4PT ... re=related

Found this clip of Master Tung Hu Ling Yang Tai Chi practicing in Thailand- looks like good stuff to me.
Last edited by Chanchu on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Re: Tai Chi Thailand 1960

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 am

Been posted before, but worth watching again: Tung really had some of the most beautiful Taiji I have seen performed. To my untutored eye, his shenfa looks very Wu-ish though I understand he was a Yang guy.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 am

There you go again with your wild accusations Andy! Please back that up with fact or remove the comment!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) :D :D :D ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:41 am

Oh, rat's cocks - not another 'meme' spotter? RSF is infested with 'em!
Last edited by Andy_S on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:35 am

"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:15 am

LoL.

He's actually very Yang-ish Andy - as it's supposed to be..

here's one i put up of their fast set. One of my all time fave form clips. It's right proper sir! (even if the Tungs did design it themselves)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI46O2SKxVQ
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:43 am

Here's a somewhat similar "personal flavor" -- even though it's from a different "branch" of Yang, and it's two generations later -- Fu Zhong Wen's grandson:

Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby jpaton on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:37 pm

i'm sure this has been posted before too but it's probably my favorite push hand clip and the same dude

jpaton
Mingjing

Postby ilove_thistuff on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Andy_S wrote:Been posted before, but worth watching again: Tung really had some of the most beautiful Taiji I have seen performed. To my untutored eye, his shenfa looks very Wu-ish though I understand he was a Yang guy.

The Tung family has roots in Wu-Hao lineage before they did Yang so there's your wu for ya:)
Last edited by ilove_thistuff on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilove_thistuff
Anjing

Postby cloudz on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:23 am

I'd be quite surprised if Andy meant Wu hao

Wu- Hao being a different style from the Northern and Shanghai branches of Wu (Quan Yu) style, and I think it is these latter styles that Andy is refering to.

The former arising from Wu Yu Hsiang and the latter two through Quan Yu. Wu Hao is charecterised by a very upright stance and small frame. The Wu styles are most often typified and charecterised by their forward lean. i think it's that leaning in Tungs form that probably resembles Wu for Andy and others..). The larger frame of Tung is also more in line with Wu over Wu Hao in general size and deportment..

If you look at the form of Yang sau Cheung, Yang Cheng Fus' son in those infamous vids you will see that he has more or less this same kind of form and frame. larger frame and leaning. Nothing whatsoever to do with Wu Hao and no resemblence at all really. watching the requisite clips will make this quite clear in my opinion. However the Wu (Quan Yu) and Yang styles are very similar in choreography and movements and sometimes a bit similar in flavour and style. But then you can find yang styles that are quite different in flavour between eachother. So take that fwiw..
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

I think we had this discussion before--everyone sees the lean in Tung Hu Ling and seems to think this "proves" some link the the Wu style--not Wu/Hao since that characteristic lean in posture is not in that system.

I don't think there was any concensus on whether or not the "lean" in structure was an original Yang characteristic or the Wu style had some influence on Tung Hu Ling.

There are some systems that combine the old Wu style with the Yang style and I suspect that in the "old" days the line of demarcation was always quite blurred.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Look I love Tai Chi with a passion, but watching slow forms is usually akin to watching paint dry ;D

This was not the case here. Really well defined with lots of feeling behind it. Very pleasurable to see.

Conn
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:15 am

Yes no doubt a beautiful performance

Not a big fan of the leaning tho-interesting where it may have come from
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Adam S wrote:Yes no doubt a beautiful performance

This is the way I was taught. The "leaning" can be seen as a 'centre back' movement, which both sets up a vertical wave, and adds stability when receiving long sustained pushes from an opponent.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby jpaton on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Adam S wrote:Yes no doubt a beautiful performance

oddly enough it came from the yang family and is still taught that way in some places.

jpaton
Mingjing

Return to Video Links