Cha Chuan: Equipment training, SC, Forms

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Cha Chuan: Equipment training, SC, Forms

Postby Andy_S on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:29 am

Sweet clip from Eric Ling's site.

Some very nice forms - you can see the combat-effective roots of the Wushu Longfist here - look at the way he runs his opponent down and comes out of those low stances with the punch - some interesting equipment training, and some SC and SC equipment training. (John Wang will be pleased to see this)

This interested me a lot as it shows the post training. A decade or so ago, I was introduced to Gao Mei-jian, the Shandongese coach of the Beijing Riot Cops. He taught Sanda, but with a base in Cha Quan. I asked him his training methods, and while most of it was typical Sanda - bags, kicking shields, hook n jabs, etc - he told me he also used the Cha Quan post. This is it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/eric88ling# ... VyRJ7IgrSY]
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Re: Cha Chuan: Equipment training, SC, Forms

Postby Jingang on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Why do you all call it Cha quan? as far as i understand it, 查拳 was named after 查尚义 (zha shangyi). 查 has two different sounds, cha and zha. As family name the correct sound should be Zha and not Cha ergo the style name is Zha quan.
Jingang
Anjing

Postby yeniseri on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:12 pm

For westerners, the tone may be the same so Cha and Zha are the same.
I have noticed that for Hui and some other groups, the training methods are (appear to be) more realistic. I also notice a thread with Zhang Dungsheng, Wang Ziping and a few others (mostly Hui origin) and they use(d) basically the same training tools as part of development.

Just an observation!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby josh on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Jingang wrote:Why do you all call it Cha quan? as far as i understand it, 查拳 was named after 查尚义 (zha shangyi). 查 has two different sounds, cha and zha. As family name the correct sound should be Zha and not Cha ergo the style name is Zha quan.

It depends on which version of its history you subscribe to. Those who believe that it came from Zha Mi'er would pronounce it as Zhaquan. But some people who don't accept this history have argued that it was originally called 插拳 or 叉拳 (Chaquan) and later changed to 查拳. In Zhang Wenguang's 張文廣 book 中國查全 he argues that it was traditionally pronounced Chaquan and not Zhaquan.
Last edited by josh on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:10 pm

I learned a bit in China a long time ago, and he called it "chaquan." (It looked quite similar to Zhang Wenguang's version, so perhaps it was from him.)

This video's chaquan looks very strong, it "smells" like usable stuff!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:19 am

Jingang wrote:Why do you all call it Cha quan? as far as i understand it, 查拳 was named after 查尚义 (zha shangyi). 查 has two different sounds, cha and zha. As family name the correct sound should be Zha and not Cha ergo the style name is Zha quan.

To be fair to the uploader, the woman narrating on the clip also calls is "chaquan"
AllanF

Postby Jingang on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:01 am

AllanF, to be fair it doesn't mean much what the narrator says. Di guoyong's Xingyi quan book was translated into english (I think by his student) and Xiang long (降龙) posture was translated into Jiang long,so sometimes people make a mistake.
I know the 插拳 or 叉拳 version of the story, the thing is that chinese I met during my stay in China actually used the name Zha-quan. I guess will never know which is correct.

That's what happens when your language has two different sounds to the same pictograph ...
Jingang
Anjing

Postby edededed on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:15 am

I think that the subject is complicated by the large number of dialects, too.

Even if the Zhamir story is true, what was his name pronounced like in the dialect where he taught at? What did that sound become in other dialects?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 pm

in taiwan we all call it cha quan.
Last edited by nianfong on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:46 pm

I was talking to one of my former teachers the other day and as I listened I heard taijiquan sounding like tie chee CHUEN as opposed to CHUAN.
It could be that Zha and Cha may ve affected by Mandarin/Cantonese accent! Just the same view clarified, me thinketh.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:12 pm

this is the standard mandarin pronunciation for taijiquan. any other pronunciations are a dialect, colloquial, or incorrect.
click the little speaker icon to play the audio clip:
http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.p ... 5%E6%8B%B3
nianfong
Administrator

Postby nicklas on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:10 pm

The word 查 is pronounced cha and the family name 查 is Zha. (in mandarin chinese)
In Zhang family chaquan we say "cha" im not entirely sure why (different explanations depending on who you are speaking with =) Me personally believe that its just much simpler to say "cha" then have to explain "its the Zha family name..." when you explain what you are doing in the park....

There is a lot of SC in chaquan... not the type where you compete with a jacket but throws and locks are frequent in the forms and partner training... i have never seen the "weight on a stick" equipment in beijing but banging into trees and friends are common...
nicklas
Huajing

Postby edededed on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:47 pm

nianfong wrote:in taiwan we all call it cha quan.

No, you call it tsa-chwen :D
edededed
Great Old One

Return to Video Links