Piper Knife Fighting System

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Piper Knife Fighting System

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:59 pm

I would love to learn me some Piper.

Anything Guru Plinck talks about with respect in regards to the knife is definately teh real.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Looks like something difficult to deal with.

Note to self...

Learn about the Piper system. ;D
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:21 am

Looks like the stuff of nightmares for any knife defence instructor!

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:19 am

Mushtaq the 'traceless warrior' also has some very good things to say about these guys, and I have heard his knife stuff is outstanding... I think he and Bobbe Edmonds have trained with Nigel etc so may be able to share info if you are in that area,,,
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Can't get over how brutal that is, looks like you'd just get filleted in seconds.

http://www.pipersystem.com/

1. The Piper System© is based on current combative methods. It is a means of utilising and surviving knives and other improvised weapons. It is real. It kills people. It is almost completely focused on offense. There are defensive strategies, but even those use the same offensive techniques.

2. Piper is chaos, with a blade. Unpredictable constant motion means your enemy has trouble pinning you down. Being difficult to pin you down visually, it becomes extremely difficult to do so physically.

[...]

9. Piper practice is done with real knives. The knives most commonly used are the Okapi and the Sable, cheap locally made blades. Sparring is done with these blades, stopping just short of targets. This keeps it real and reminds you of the intent, the fear and harm that would be present in a real-life confrontation. Real criminals don’t practice with rubber knives.

10. Piper is not taught to non-Martial Artists. It is, however, taught regardless of race, colour or creed. It is a bona-fide vicious, deadly, brutal system. Knowing only a few of the methods and strategies will supercharge your combative arsenal. However, remember that you have neither the viciousness or deadly intent of the criminal who kills and maims with a blade; nor the formative experiences of seeing people knifed. Making it into a Martial Art does cage the beast, but doesn’t quite tame it.

Um... Can I go back to my forms now?

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Bobbe's a friend of mine and Mushtaq is an online friend. If these guys, and especially if Guru Plinck endorses it, I'd say give it a look see.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Well I am no expert on knife, but the first clips looked very flamboyant: if you are attacking face/neck with a blade, why do you need such big movements? The last clip though, when the guy was demoing deceptive approach/attack, was sobering.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Really? It scared me enough that I wanted to get drunk.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Personally, I don't have to be scared to get drunk, but to each his own.

Some systems use rapid hammering strikes to the face - several a second. Every stab is followed by a slash, every slash by a stab, so you are constantly mutilating. Those kinds of movements are very minimalistic, there is no whirling around the head, spinning, etc.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:31 pm

"Tagsa ka kamut na lihok : the one hand movement drill is the most important! This movement is what sets our system apart. This is also what Lorenzo Saavedra did not incorporate in his stick system, this movement is designed for the defense against the blade. It is deceptively simple, but this is what allows you to control the attacking blade hand. This movement allows you to be close to the blade hand always, allowing you to control the thrusting blade hand always.

So this drill should always be done first. This may also clash with your stick training, so this movement has to be relearned. Everytime you do the drills, you always go back to tagsa ka kamut na lihok. After breaks, always go back to tagsa ka kamut na lihok.

Study the tagsa ka kamut na lihok, and you will see that it is genius in it's simplicity. I had trouble at first with this movement too, this was because it clash with my training in other martial arts. With continued practice, I was able to appreciate this simple movement, because the knife was always within my reach, despite all the maneuverings otherwise of the blade feeder."
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 pm

looks like a good system. perhaps worth a trip to SA to check it out :)
Ian

Postby yusuf on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:12 am

I did sit and go through the piper movements with my teacher.. I thought I'd get a great explanation of how to parry, check and hit these guys.. he said 'just pick up a chair, and hit them very fucking hard'
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:34 am

this is how I understand a distance in blade fighting
I would say much further away than whats shown on the videos.
9. Piper practice is done with real knives.

I can not imagine how in any way this could be possible. But maybe m not brave enough to try:)
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:38 am

Is that 7-minute tape authentic? You know which one I mean?
Yes. That was Nigel on the tape, which we shot in a garage we were using for training one night. It was originally sent to Marc MacYoung who requested footage of Piper when he learned about it. The tape was widely distributed we believe. Marc has some superb products out there that we recommend to anyone keen to learn more about real self-defense.

As a result of the tape, Piper was featured in Steve Perry’s Musashi Flex. It is a work of fiction, thus we cannot endorse its representation of Piper (Peepah) for authenticity, however we are excited that Piper has been acknowledged in a novel about high-level combat arts and fighters by such a talented author.

From the FAQ. Anyone knows what tape are they referring to?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Andy: Flamboyant? Maybe, and I know less than nothing about knife fighting but it seems from the little I've read about them that they're big into changing angles and tempo and creating distractive movements (I like that faint to the head with the stab to the belly). I guess constantly moving your body and head it makes you a harder target as well.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links