Mix's xingyi 5 elements

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Mix's xingyi 5 elements

Postby nianfong on Tue May 13, 2008 12:36 pm

Posted by: mix Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:17pm
Grin Here is my wu xing, suckers. enjoy!

Posted by: Harvey Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:20pm
Aw man that sucked so much it was scarey

Only kidding, nice work mix my only comment is watch the old dragon body, but then again that's my mantra these days LOL
Posted by: Qiphlow Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:22pm
get a haircut, ya fuckin' hippie!

looking better since your bagua vid of a few months ago.
aren't you supposed to have the elbow down on the blocking arm in pao?

Wink
Posted by: Jose Alb Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:24pm
Nice and clean. Smiley

Watch your left elbow during your right handed pao. It goes up way more than the other one. Are you right handed?
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:29pm
Ouch! My eyes! The hair color!!! Grin

Glad you're back in Mtl to kick some sense into you! Wink

You looked kinda stiff there buddy. Relax your shoulders. Allow the flow from one step to the other. Remember, it's not a race!

Can you come to class during the week? If not, see you on Sunday!

J
Posted by: 8gua Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:29pm
nice work
Posted by: Jose Alb Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:32pm
Mix (or Juan), these are strictly Xue Dian's wuxing, right?

Little differences between these and the elements that Yang Hai does on his clip.
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:46pm
Actually, the only thing that struck me as odd was the way he does his transitions in Zuan and Heng. Maybe Mix can comment more on that?
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:55pm
Hey Jose: yeah I'm demoing xue's fists. My teachers clip is of Li Cun Yi's style. For Pao, the one side is correct, the other side is too high. I'm working on that.

Juan: maybe I'm a little stiff, but Mr.Yang was telling me "faster! more force!" lol Grin.

Thanks for the good words guys!
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:56pm
LOL! Ok, I know the feeling! Wink
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 12:57pm
on May 7th, 2008, 12:46pm, xingyijuan wrote:
Actually, the only thing that struck me as odd was the way he does his transitions in Zuan and Heng. Maybe Mix can comment more on that?

Mr.Yang showed me a couple different ways of transitioning, the one for zuan should actually be different. I just made it up on the fly Grin

heng I'm doing the way he taught me.
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 1:05pm
Well, you know, as far as I'm concerned, I never got which one was from Xue and which on was from Li. I just do and don't ask questions. So you probably know better than me anyways. Wink
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 1:15pm
Just remember that he teaches everyone differently.
So I guess there is more than one way within the style to do things. Smiley
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 1:18pm
Absolutely. But he does so with the aim of bringing everyone to the same (or equivalently) level.
Posted by: Jose Alb Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 1:25pm
Would'nt it be funny if he's teaching one of you the real stuff, and getting the other one punkd? Grin Grin
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 1:28pm
on May 7th, 2008, 1:25pm, Jose Alb wrote:
Would'nt it be funny if he's teaching one of you the real stuff, and getting the other one punkd? Grin Grin

lol, my fake is shit.
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 1:30pm
Quote:

*Juan pointing at Mix*
Posted by: Mike_Strong Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 3:26pm
keep up the good work, ...

... and make a trip to the salad bar once in a while. Shocked
Posted by: Joe L. Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 10:33pm
Good on ya for continuing the posting, Mix.

Like what I saw at the end of each strike, looks like some good stuff is going on thar.

Makes me want to break out the little xing yi I did learn Cheesy
Posted by: Joe L. Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 10:36pm
on May 7th, 2008, 3:26pm, Mike_Strong wrote:

Fairly unneeded, but ya Tongue

We all know you are on an endless journey to lose your weight and all that, but those kind of comments are the shit that even makes a dickbag like me make a face, even if you are over weight yourself.
Posted by: ashe Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 11:05pm
on May 7th, 2008, 3:26pm, Mike_Strong wrote:

pot: "oi kettle, you's awfly black aintcha?"
Posted by: nianfong Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 11:14pm
mix, very nice man. good coordination, nice and crisp.

one question, your civet cat reverse climbs the tree looks kinda awkward. is it a flexibility problem on your part?
Posted by: Uatu the Watcher the Ed Posted on: May 7th, 2008, 11:16pm
on May 7th, 2008, 1:25pm, Jose Alb wrote:

I'ma gonna use this one on my future bagua disciples - they'll love it! (Well - maybe the lucky side)

As for salad, salad is great - with lots of croutons and creamy dressing and cheese. As a side for cream/cheese/oil-based foods, of course.
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 4:07am
on May 7th, 2008, 11:14pm, nianfong wrote:
mix, very nice man. good coordination, nice and crisp.

one question, your civet cat reverse climbs the tree looks kinda awkward. is it a flexibility problem on your part?

Which movement is civet cat?

MStrong: I'm sorry that I got fat, I will slim down-Wesley Willis
Posted by: Deus Trismegistus Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 4:36am
You just got to get the fat to work for you. Mass times acceleration man, and people like me, who have a spare tractor tire, got mass in spades. Your beng should feel like getting hit by a john deer!
Posted by: Walk_the_Torque Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 4:41am
Hi Mix,

I feela bit funny bout saying anything co's I never studied Hsing Yi to any depth. However, through my Bagua and Tai Ji I have played with Rise, drill, fall, overturn.

From looking at your Pi, it seems as if you are over turning before your fall. For a solid striking force you may wish to overturn at the last moment befor the strike. Maybe give it a try on a bag or partner.

All the best

Conn
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 4:50am
Walk: this is also what my teacher says. I work for it in my practice, but this demonstration was a bit rushed. Smiley
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 4:57am
I forgot to mention this earlier: just before we were filming, my teacher made a whole bunch of very important corrections on my form, so what you are seeing is me in the process of fixing up my form a bit.
Posted by: For Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 5:15am
Mix you can tell that someone corrected you, you were trying so hard. All in all you are right at the point to were one would start feeling how and when the fajing thing is coming from. It looked good compared to some other beginner/intermediates have seen here on the forums. Keep at it, if you are really trying to lose weight add some workout stuff like a boxer would do. Other words more workout as well not just food, it aint just salad to help lose though.

Also I call myself a beginner/intermediate still. I been at it for a few years myself.
Posted by: samtao Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 6:32am
Quote:
Which movement is civet cat?

At the end of your beng line when you turn and transit, that is where civet climbs tree is.

Very efficient when someone is charging on you BTW ... hit him and take the arm down or use it to swing the next punch.... Wink

Good Work Mix ! Smiley
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 6:55am
Is it the turn where the hands turn with the body?
I was just working on getting a bigger turn. Usually I step too small.
My main fault in my practice right now is under extension, but its getting better since Mr.Yang has given me some corrections. Smiley
Posted by: ashe Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 8:23am
all in all i'd say your XYQ is not bad. definitely sharper than you BGZ. respex mang.

p.s. - you're still ghey.
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 10:33am
Actually, my bagua is much better than my xingyi, but not in the short video that I made. I'll put up more bagua sometime soon.
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 10:37am
Notice gentlemen that Mix neither acknowledged or refuted Ashe's mention of him being ghey...

I believe your Bagua IS better than your Xingyi and that neither of your last two videos actually show how good you can be at both.
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 10:59am
That was deep Juan Grin
Posted by: ashe Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 11:24am
on May 8th, 2008, 10:37am, xingyijuan wrote:
Notice gentlemen that Mix neither acknowledged or refuted Ashe's mention of him being ghey...

everyone knows the sky is blue already. Cheesy
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 11:25am
on May 8th, 2008, 11:24am, ashe wrote:

everyone knows the sky is blue already. Cheesy

I'm only gay in that I like having a good time..... with men..... in bed.....

Oh no, I said too much. I haven't said enough (or have I?) Grin
Posted by: nianfong Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 11:31am
I thought that I heard you laughing.

so mix = michael stipe
and we all know michael stipe = teh ghey
Posted by: josh Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 11:32am
Good on you for putting up the clip! Just out of curiosity (since I am pretty unfamiliar with Xingyi and especially Xue Dian's line), could you explain how the stepping that you use functions in generating power? It seems like a much more exaggerated "follow step" than I am used to seeing, with the rear foot arriving significantly behind the front hand/foot, particularly in piquan. When I compare with this video

it seems even a bit different. Is this a particular method of training, or a distinguishing characteristic of Xue's style? Thanks Grin
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 12:00pm
Josh: I put too much emphasis on the back leg. What happened was that my foot work with the follow step was always too slow (accounting for my mass and general lack of dexterity), so I always worked on forcing the back foot to come up faster, which in turn made it come in closer to my front foot. So its a mistake on my part, but its not a bad mistake and doesn't affect power, speed, and body mechanics. Also, beng is the element I practiced most during my first couple years of training, so my beng footwork influences everything else. Smiley
Posted by: josh Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 12:08pm
Cool, thanks for the explanation Smiley I actually only noticed it because my internet is being really slow today, and the Youtube video paused to buffer right as you were delivering one of those strikes. I guess my only worry with that type of footwork would be that there is a split second right around the point of impact where all of your weight is committed to the front leg and your back foot is off the ground, so it would be easy to throw, sweep, or just generally unbalance you if the strike didn't land. But that's just speculation Smiley Keep up the hard work Cool
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 12:23pm
Actually, thats partially true, but the thing that obviates it is that when you do that type of strike in actual application, you are throwing a flurry and thus its not like your taking one and going for the gold, so its harder to react to. But yes, I have been taken down from the type of footwork before, so its certainly something to think about.
Posted by: bruce Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 1:49pm
Grin

cool ...
Posted by: Big_Phat_Wong Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 5:04pm
Good stuff man.. but 'sup with the music? Cheesy

Nice upward surge on the zuan. That's how it's supposed to look.
Posted by: Uatu the Watcher the Ed Posted on: May 8th, 2008, 8:21pm
Arrrgh, crappy wannabe Japanese rock musiiiicc.... aiyeee... Turn that stuff off, Mix! Angry Replace it with some, oh, I dunno, aria or something...

(On an aside, good video - I like it better than the bagua you posted a while ago.)
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 9th, 2008, 4:58am
lol, I like chicks who know how to scream.... what more can I say?
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 9th, 2008, 5:50am
on May 9th, 2008, 4:58am, mix wrote:
lol, I like chicks...

Now, no matter how many time you could repeat this, no one here is going to beieve you! Tongue

Grin

edit: On a side note, you should have seen Yang Hai's face when he learned it was a japanese song! lol
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 9th, 2008, 6:10am
on May 9th, 2008, 5:50am, xingyijuan wrote:

Grin

edit: On a side note, you should have seen Yang Hai's face when he learned it was a japanese song! lol

That is truly lol worthy. Grin
Posted by: Uatu the Watcher the Ed Posted on: May 9th, 2008, 7:04am
Uh... So, what kind of face did he make then? Tongue
Posted by: xingyijuan Posted on: May 9th, 2008, 7:09am
Something between this Shocked and this Undecided
Posted by: Brady Posted on: May 10th, 2008, 9:15pm
Nice work overall, I'm pleasantly surprised.

One quick question, with some strikes is the "pistoning" of the arm purposeful?
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 11th, 2008, 4:45am
on May 10th, 2008, 9:15pm, Brady wrote:

One quick question, with some strikes is the "pistoning" of the arm purposeful?

Give me an example and I'll tell you. Smiley
Posted by: nianfong Posted on: May 11th, 2008, 10:30am
I think he's talking about the way you retract your fist after hitting. like zhuan. I know your teacher does it in that element. Your fist wobbles at the end of beng, zhuan, pao, heng. I'm also curious as to the reason why though.

brady: this is mix's teacher, yang hai

ah and your pao quan's blocking elbow is too pointy and far back. I couldn't rmeember if that's what your teacher did, but now I see it isn't.
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 11th, 2008, 10:48am
For pao, one arm is correct, one arm is not.
Its not the same style as my teacher is demoing (his demo is li cun yi style, mine is Xue Dian) so of course they look different. The reason why Xue's elbow goes back like that is to put more force in the punching hand.
As for the hand bouncing back a bit, thats just a natural bi product of generating force in our style Smiley
Posted by: Brady Posted on: May 11th, 2008, 1:40pm
Fong got what I was asking about. I saw what I was asking about most in zhuan (had to go back and watch the video, not too familiar with the forms). It looks to me like a momentary disconnection at the shoulder right at the point of the strike. When I see your teacher do it, his shoulder (glenohumeral) joint doesn't distract (or stretch) as much as yours. In other words, I could see him backing up the strike with the structure of his whole shoulder complex and body. I'm no expert, but I'd be worried about the integrity of such a loose joint if you connected hard when that joint is as stretched as yours. That was my first reaction to seeing that quality of motion.
Posted by: mix Posted on: May 11th, 2008, 1:48pm
Yeah, my shoulder is actually fucked up. Both of them. One is from a breakfall accident where I hurt the rotator cuff, the other one is from pop and lock dancing incorrectly. That could have something to do with it. Smiley
Posted by: Brady Posted on: May 11th, 2008, 3:55pm
Yeah that'll do it. I tend to hold my shoulders high and tight so I have no right to criticize. Thanks for posting your practice.
Posted by: MikeC Posted on: Today at 10:49am
on May 11th, 2008, 10:30am, nianfong wrote:
I think he's talking about the way you retract your fist after hitting. like zhuan. I know your teacher does it in that element. Your fist wobbles at the end of beng, zhuan, pao, heng. I'm also curious as to the reason why though.

brady: this is mix's teacher, yang hai

Nice clip. VERY crisp.
Last edited by nianfong on Tue May 13, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Re: Mix's xingyi 5 elements

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue May 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Hey guys, I think I got some of the reason why my fists are wobbly. I have weak wrists. I'm gonna work more weapons to make them stronger.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue May 13, 2008 3:47 pm

I think you just need to punch more things :) it's not just your wrists--it's also your entire arm I think. work a bag or pads and that will help
nianfong
Administrator

Postby xingyijuan on Tue May 13, 2008 7:16 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:Hey guys, I think I got some of the reason why my fists are wobbly. I have weak wrists. I'm gonna work more weapons to make them stronger.
- Mix trying hard not to say he's single.
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Tue May 13, 2008 7:50 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:Hey guys, I think I got some of the reason why my fists are wobbly. I have weak wrists. I'm gonna work more weapons to make them stronger.

as fong said punching things helps ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcF1jMs6wTI here is some stuff i do with a short stick with a weight on the end ...

try various push ups too. on fists, on the back of your hands, triangle, finger tips etc etc ...
bruce
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue May 13, 2008 8:06 pm

working a long pole will also help... (yes yes, juan, I know ;D)
but there's a certain relaxation combined with tension that you need to develop just by punching things and adjusting to the recoil from the blow.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby xingyijuan on Wed May 14, 2008 5:28 am

Hey I don't know man. I don't think the size of his pole will really help! ;D ;D ;D

xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Wed May 14, 2008 5:51 am

the size of the pole does help.... the bigger it is the more it shudders -nuke-
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed May 14, 2008 7:01 am

Hey, I already work the bag quite often (that sounds dirty) and I also push trees and work with a spear. I hit people too, so I dunno if any of this will help much.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Wed May 14, 2008 7:42 am

Hey Mix, we are currently doing an exercise that Mr. Yang showed us. I don't know if he showed it to you. I really helps with the grip and the wrist.

xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed May 14, 2008 10:23 am

xingyijuan wrote:Hey Mix, we are currently doing an exercise that Mr. Yang showed us. I don't know if he showed it to you. I really helps with the grip and the wrist.

Funny you should mention that...

He said to me "do it slowly. Like 20 times in 20 minutes. That would be good". ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed May 14, 2008 10:24 am

Of yeah, so he had me doing five different postures of dragon today. So that meant essentially doing different types of dragon for about 20 minutes. My legs hurt very much :D
He said he's gonna combine the postures together and make a dragon short form.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Wed May 14, 2008 10:52 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Of yeah, so he had me doing five different postures of dragon today. So that meant essentially doing different types of dragon for about 20 minutes. My legs hurt very much :D

Interesting. I wonder whith what he will torture... I mean train you next?

xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed May 14, 2008 11:20 am

xingyijuan wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:Of yeah, so he had me doing five different postures of dragon today. So that meant essentially doing different types of dragon for about 20 minutes. My legs hurt very much :D

Interesting. I wonder whith what he will torture... I mean train you next?

Hey man, you know that you guys will be doing that sometime too right?
Besides, its character building! :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Video Links