2009 San Shou Worlds- Ko's and take downs

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: 2009 San Shou Worlds- Ko's and take downs

Postby JAB on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 am

Chris
Which one? I have yet to see a San Shou Ruleset allowing them. Not at the tiger Balms. Not at the taiji Legacy. Perhaps Baltimore?
JAB
JAB

Postby baguaboy on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:04 am

Better for the crowd without - I think far more throws/sweeps etc succeed without the knees to worry about!
baguaboy
Anjing

Postby cloudz on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:19 am

The Kuo Shou ruleset allows knees and elbows.

i might be wrong as i'm a UK guy, but I think that's the ruleset they use in Baltimore..
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Knees... perhaps. I know they do not allow elbows.

"Better" is relative bro. Not sure how it can be full contact with chest protectors on, but hey, to each their own!
JAB
JAB

Postby mrtoes on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:23 pm

I have a feeling the Kuoshu rules in the UK might be more liberal than elsewhere George? I saw the ruleset for that tourny that started last year and you're right they allow the lot, knees elbows and interestingly even limited ground fighting (though you need to get a sub in a few secs or you get stood up again). Also using shuai jiao jackets, 4oz gloves, and headgear only for the amateur divisions. Chest protectors only for women.

Amateur rules: http://www.kuoshu.co.uk/Amateur%20Kuosh ... 202009.pdf
Pro rules: http://www.kuoshu.co.uk/Professional%20 ... 202009.pdf

Matthew.
Last edited by mrtoes on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

JAB wrote:Chris
Which one? I have yet to see a San Shou Ruleset allowing them. Not at the tiger Balms. Not at the taiji Legacy. Perhaps Baltimore?
JAB

I'm sure you could thrown a knee and no one would care at the legends of kung fu/taiji legacy. They were allowing everything else!

But really, knees were quite welcome at the Austin Martial Arts festival. They did however want to be clear that it wasn't going to be a muay thai event where two guys hug each other and knee away.
Chris Fleming

Postby I am... on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:01 pm

JAB wrote:Knees... perhaps. I know they do not allow elbows.

"Better" is relative bro. Not sure how it can be full contact with chest protectors on, but hey, to each their own!
JAB

Almost every time I have been out to the Baltimore tournament, they have allowed both knees and elbows. My friend scored a 7 hit elbow combo on a guy there maybe 5 years ago. The rules tend to be that if you do elbows or knees, you cannot pull them into it with your other hands/feet.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby JAB on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 am

I Am-
Never been so I stand corrected.

Chris
What do you mean "hugging" each other? Are you making a reference to the clinch? If so I would caution against looking at it as a "hug!"

JAB
JAB

Postby baguaboy on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:57 am

JAB wrote:Knees... perhaps. I know they do not allow elbows.

JAB

Yeah well - thankfully they probably allow groin guards! A full kick to the knuts should be allowed in full contact too! :)

Yeah i understand what you mean. Often events are advertised as 'full contact' to attract the punters, and quite often get hefty insurance to pay as a result. Organisers are mostly disorganised in my experience and change rules to keep the lawyers at bay.

Even worse is when they change the rules at the last minute: I once went to a full contact comp - where I was told 10 minutes before my fight that 3 shots to the head consecutively was against the rules. I think i got points deducted for a nice combo too - bollocks!

CIMA full contact rarely has the financial clout required to 'make it happen' like in 'cage rage' etc.
baguaboy
Anjing

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:36 am

This event was 10th Worlds in Canada. You have to go to some event to try-out for USA San shou Team. I think it was in Lubbock Texas as some school and not posted very much to keep pool of fighters low. you really have to be on top to follow this organization. they try to keep their team to school that support the organization.

You have to go to

http://www.usawkf.com/rules/index.php?classid=0501
neijia_boxer

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 pm

JAB wrote:
Chris
What do you mean "hugging" each other? Are you making a reference to the clinch? If so I would caution against looking at it as a "hug!"

JAB

I wrote it that way to see if you would respond that way. AHHH TOO EASY! ;D
Chris Fleming

Postby JAB on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:46 pm

BB-
Not sure I get the analogy you are trying to make between chest protectors and cups... but no worries.

The "insurance / money / liability" thing is a lame excuse. Look at things like the Dog Brothers. They made it work. Unfortunately people are douche waffles now days and are the type to enter something full contact, get hurt, then try to sue someone!

And I hear you on the last minute rule changes. Happened with the Tiger Balms last year. I will never go back and give them my money or time. Complete waste of time, as are many of the CMA tourneys!

Jake
JAB

Postby JAB on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Chris
Cute ::)
Unfortunately too many people do view it simply as "hugging."

JAB
JAB

Postby nianfong on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:34 pm

baguaboy wrote:Yeah well - thankfully they probably allow groin guards! A full kick to the knuts should be allowed in full contact too! :)

cups are required in international sanshou rules. but deliberate groin strikes are not allowed.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 pm

JAB wrote:Chris
Cute ::)
Unfortunately too many people do view it simply as "hugging."

JAB

Don't worry. You'll be here to set them straight. ;D
Chris Fleming

Previous

Return to Video Links