Liu He Ba Fa (Short Clip)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Liu He Ba Fa (Short Clip)

Postby QuaiJohnCain on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:34 am

Curse you, Strange, for not satisfying RD's standards!!! :D
QuaiJohnCain

Postby Royal Dragon on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:26 am

Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass, he looks really good as far as a Tai Chi guy is concerned, but he is lacking the signature body method of LHBF. There is a specific type of spinal motion that is the driving force of that style. That's all I am saying.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Royal Dragon wrote:I know there are a lot of complements, but Taiji internals are a bit different than LHBF.

not unless its the same human body...

you are right about his upper spine as being probably the thing he could most improve.

the spine should move when one uses ones BODY to perform the motions taught in tai ji quan. "one thing moves everything moves"

emphasis put on key words
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Royal Dragon on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:40 pm

I generally don't see near as much of that type of spinal motion in Taiji players. I see lots of spiraling and such in Chen players, but not the spinal power (vertical Open/Close)to the extent as LHBFA people generally do.

Actually, the gentleman in the video looks like a lot of Taiji players i have seen, his motion is fairly typical, lots of rooting and structure, but not much mechanics.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:45 pm

Royal Dragon wrote: his motion is fairly typical, lots of rooting and structure, but not much mechanics.

mmm . . . I can't really understand how you can separate structure and body mechanics . . . . How you work with your structure is the mechanics.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby QuaiJohnCain on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:21 pm

What I cant understand are all the critics who feel it's ok to chide on member's videos without having one up themselves...
QuaiJohnCain

Postby Royal Dragon on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Yes, but different styles have distinctly different aspects to those mechanics. Structure is just the alignment, and if speaking in a stationary sense is pretty much the same across all styles. The mechanics are the structure in motion, and there is great variety in the manor in which motion occurs. Different flavor of motion = different style.

You could say (and i do) that the particular type of mechanics defines the style. For example, you see a much greater emphasis on the vertical expansion/contraction in Hsing I, as compared to Chen style, which shows a marked preference for the spiraling and silk reeling motions, often explosively so.

These differences are defining aspects that separate the styles into unique practices (along with tactical strategy and technical variations). If they were all using the exact same body mechanics, there would be no real need to distinguish them by name. It would all just be one boring, indistinguishable, singular, style instead of the colorful variety we actually have.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Curse you, Strange, for not satisfying RD's standards!!!
heh heh u deh furneh

i am real tempted to post a vid to show that i can do better - my motionless ZZ with NO body mechanics
in ima, readily trade a ounce of internal movement with a ton of external motion

was it will smith who first said: "do you FEEL me?"

RD: what really bothers me is that you are still refering to me as a third person. i consider this extremely rude.
are you doing it on purpose? is there some meaning that you want to convey? or do you not have simple common manners?
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Royal Dragon wrote:I generally don't see near as much of that type of spinal motion in Taiji players. I see lots of spiraling and such in Chen players, but not the spinal power (vertical Open/Close)to the extent as LHBFA people generally do.

Actually, the gentleman in the video looks like a lot of Taiji players i have seen, his motion is fairly typical, lots of rooting and structure, but not much mechanics.

If tai ji quan was based on what most people did, it wouldn't be very good....

most people who "play it" do not know it
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Royal Dragon on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:30 am

RD: what really bothers me is that you are still refering to me as a third person. i consider this extremely rude.
are you doing it on purpose? is there some meaning that you want to convey? or do you not have simple common manners?

Reply]
I am very sorry, I thought that was a clip you had filmed of someone else in your office, I did not know it was you. My deepest apologies.
Last edited by Royal Dragon on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:44 pm

...i see, ok.

i am not familiar with spinal rotation in lhbf; there is no mention of it in lhbf literature.
we do not train specifically for it; nor do we do it just so others see that we do it. what others think/say is not important in ima.
perhaps it is a term coined by a spectator to show that he/she is indeed more observant, i do not know.

for e.g. i understand that for some practicing qigong; they are able to rotate their dantian without any sort of external movement.
so is there movement?
i suspect it is like what the six patriarch say: it is not the wind that move, nor is it the flag. it is the heart (intention) that moved

S.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:58 pm

message deleted by poster
Last edited by Royal Dragon on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:19 pm

message deleted by poster
Last edited by Royal Dragon on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links