Wu opening

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wu opening

Postby Muad'dib on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:43 pm

I figured I'd post this, since it is the last clip I have of myself. I messed with the video a bit for no particular reason... I guess I'm getting artier. Even if I hadn't the clip is not the best because the camera guy focused on my torso.

Oh, and I added a special ending. I call it Arkham Fist.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Re: Wu opening

Postby cdobe on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:35 am

Here you can see Ma Jiangbao doing the same sequence:
http://www.wutaichi.org/sample_lesson_1.asp
There are five pages - 'Preparation' to 'Single Whip'.

I guess I have to commit a mixjourneyman here by saying that this is not orthodox Shanghai branch Wu style :-X
I base my opinion on the fact that there is a high degree of uniformity and agreement amongst the students of Wu YingHua and Ma Yuehliang. Another point is, that over the years I have identified many "marker movements" in forms from various lineages that tell me from what lineage they come from. Your form seems to be a mix between the Man Quan from Shanghai and the Square form of Wu Gongyi. The Single Whip is done like in Cheng Tin Hung's Taiji. I could detail this for you if you like. But most probably I'll find myself on your ignore list after this posting. ;)

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:53 am

Cdobe: I never said anything wasn't orthodox anything. There is no such thing as orthodox martial art. I said not traditional and not following the mainstream. There is a big difference. ;)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:57 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Cdobe: I never said anything wasn't orthodox anything. There is no such thing as orthodox martial art. I said not traditional and not following the mainstream. There is a big difference. ;)

Ok, I used the search function and found that you didn't use 'orthodox'. It was Jess O'Brian. You used 'authentic' instead, which I feel is even harder. However, I still find that my above statement is a mix'. ;D
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:29 pm

its Tadzio's fault ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Video Links