Ba Bu Zhai Yao 8 Step Praying Mantis

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ba Bu Zhai Yao 8 Step Praying Mantis

Postby Bob on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:59 am

One of my younger Gong Fu brothers I've known for about 10 years or so. He teaches at the Akron school. Good guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kicc3kYnMxs

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Ba Bu Zhai Yao 8 Step Praying Mantis

Postby kreese on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:14 am

Bob,
Is Ba Bu the primary Tang Lang system at WuTang? What aspects of Ba Bu training are presented to Tang Lang students?

Thanks.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:38 am

Kreese:

I'd say that 8 step praying mantis is taught first and quite a bit although not all the forms are taught from the complete system.

They also all start off holding 7 or 8 basic stances from the praying mantis forms. Not for 8 breaths like baji but for a minute or so.

Beng Bu is very big and for advanced students Fen Shen Ba Zhou is also taught.

We also learned 2 forms of mei hua lu.

Xiao Hu Yan is also a big favorite.

My favorite when I was having to learn mantis was Qi Xing Zhai Yao. It had some elements of 6 harmony mantis which I think I would liked to have really gotten into.

We learned a couple of single posture movements from 6 harmony mantis and also the Liu He Duan Chui [6 harmony short punch which I really liked]

Students almost all start out with 7 hand, learn the fight behind 7 hand along with 3 sets of 8 different moving postures for a total of 24 postures. They are taken from a lot of different systems. Tons of warm-up and stretches, lots of two man exercises, each of the 24 moving postures have a B fighting side.

When summer arrives the students usually learn the crazy demon staff form and a basic dao.

We had the privilege of having Master Sun De Yao stay with us for 3 years or so and some of the senior teaching disicples picked up a number of his forms under one-on-one instruction. Rob Peterson picked up the most and then went to China and learned from one the taiji meihua praying mantis masters from Yan Tai. They also picked up some things from Master Zhang Wei Fu of Qingdao.

We have never trained any type of longfist primarily because Master Yang's favorite system throughout his life has been praying mantis. I put up some old clips of him and one of his very early students T.W. Ruff [highly ranked state high school wrestler] when they were at MIT when Master Yang just arrived in the US. He didn't speak much English so T.W. got him a job as a bouncer at a pretty tough bar called Fireside. They did this for a couple of years. All fights in the bars transcended systems i.e. praying mantis, baji etc. etc. and strategy always had to prevail, some of it quite dirty. Like being challenged by someone and you tell okay let's outside and settle this and as they turn to go out the door, you nail the back of their head and knock them out. One of many stories. LOL

No superior systems in a street/bar fight.

Anyway, I don't spend much time in this any longer but still love to watch them. In order for the school to survive a belt program that takes them through a lot of praying mantis and builds in some da qiang training and eventually some baji/pigua training was put into place. After they reach the highest level, they can continue deeper into the baji/pigua system.

Later.
Last edited by Bob on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:52 am

That is some amazing traditional gong fu, by the way. Please tell him his work is appreciated!
Absolutely beautiful. I am posting this clip on me blog...
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi Bob

I got a quick question about 8 step praying mantis

i noticed that the form started on one end and ended on the other

if this normal for 8 step forms?

wondering because one of my instructors went with some of his school brothers (all non wutan) and spent a month training with wutan in taiwan (this was in the 80's and i think it was set up for them by Adam Hsu)
they trained 8 step mantis and baji
i have a vid of my teacher doing the praying matis form that they learned while they were there (Fan Che) and it starts on one side and ends on the other

Thanks
Franklin'
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Franklin, geez, I don't have a good answer for you. I know when I did 7 hand, li pi, xiao fan cha, da fan cha, I remember always returning to the place I started. Logan ends up at the other end.

Our 8 step mantis comes from not only Su Yu Zhang but I believe one of the 8 step praying mantis disciples. In that sense, it really isn't a Wu Tan lineage and you probably would be better served asking someone in the 8 Step praying mantis lineage. Mantis is notorious for mixing and subtracting etc. etc.--just look at how it was initially composed.

Bob
Bob
Great Old One

Return to Video Links