Venus visible RIGHT NOW, during the day (in US at least)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Venus visible RIGHT NOW, during the day (in US at least)

Postby Dmitri on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:56 am

In 50 years I never thought about mere possibility of this, but it is indeed possible to see Venus during bright sunny day with your naked eye.

These days it is close to Earth so it's near its brightest, and it is close to the moon which provides a great point of reference. (And there are no clouds covering the moon, where I am now.)

So if you're interested in this sort of thing, and if you can find the moon (use Google Sky Map app on your phone if you want), then you should be able to see Venus very clearly just "above" the moon.

Tried to sketch it to scale (except that the Venus is a bit smaller in relative circumference), -- hope this helps:

It might take a minute for the eyes to adjust, but it is definitely clearly visible without strain, just look at the right spot and take your time, and you will find it.

If there are clouds today, you should still be able to see it tomorrow, but the position would be close to the opposite (relative to the moon) of what's depicted above, i.e. it'll be "below" the moon, within somewhat similar distance (possibly a little further). After tomorrow it'll probably be so far that a good point of reference would be hard to establish...

Hope this brightens someone else's day like it did mine (and a couple coworkers').

8-)
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: Venus visible RIGHT NOW, during the day (in US at least)

Postby qiphlow on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:26 am

saw that this morning. pretty cool.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:48 pm

An obvious case of Venus envy
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:07 pm

qiphlow wrote:saw that this morning. pretty cool.

Hey man, long time... Yeah this morning it was ridiculously bright. I love looking up...

kenneth fish wrote:An obvious case of Venus envy

Heeeyyy....
Just so you know, I drive a reasonably inconspicuous car, and my feet are notably larger than average!
Dmitri
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic