Philippine president

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Philippine president

Postby windwalker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:29 pm

N U.S. AID AND DIPLOMATS: "We were talking to (U.S. Secretary of State John) Kerry, he's OK but I had a feud with his gay ambassador. Son of a bitch, I'm annoyed with that guy. He meddled in the elections, giving statements here and there ...

So that Kerry, he came here and we had lunch and he left $33 million with me and (Defense Secretary) Delfin Lorenzana. I said, ahhh this is OK, let's insult them again so this fool will make a compromise.

So this is just about money." — To army troops this month after receiving U.S. financial assistance for law enforcement training.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philippine-p ... html?nhp=1

He seems to understand the US pretty well....
Apparently the US likes to interfere in others elections while, condemning those it belives are affecting its own..
who would have thought :-\
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Re: Philippine president

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Dang, yeah, he does remind us of some politicians. I had to follow the quote to its source, and found some other goodies of his on the same page.

President Rodrigo Duterte's threat to withdraw the Philippines from the United Nations, later cushioned by his foreign secretary, is the latest flamboyantly irreverent utterance from a politician who has disparaged the pope, human rights advocates, the United States and other countries who controvert his worldview. His devil-may-care expletives against criminality, corruption and government incompetence helped him build a name as Davao city mayor before he claimed an overwhelming presidential race win that mirrored the depth of public exasperation over the social ills he abhorred. Many in the margins of society are enamored by his death threats against criminals, his anti-establishment rhetoric and his moments of sex-laced gutter humor.

ON A SLAIN MISSIONARY: "I looked at her face, son of a bitch, she looks like a beautiful actress in America. Son of a bitch, what a waste. What came to mind was, they raped her, they lined up on her there. I was angry because she was raped, that's one thing. But she was so beautiful, the mayor should have been first. What a waste." — Joking at a campaign event in April about the gang rape and killing of an Australian missionary by inmates in a 1989 Davao jail siege.

ON THE POPE'S VISIT: "I wanted to call him, 'Pope, you son of a bitch, go home. Don't visit here anymore." — After a monstrous traffic jam that trapped him and many others in January 2015. Duterte apologized after bishops condemned his language.

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:34 pm

There are people who have been shot on the streets of the Philippines by vigilantes since he's been president. He is encouraging people to kill drug dealers but sometimes people are targeted who are just users. More than that random people can be your jury, judge and executioner.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 am

The Atlantic

Romeo Ranoco / Reuters
36 Killings a Day in the Philippines

More than 1,900 people have died in the seven weeks since President Rodrigo Duterte took office and began his war on crime.

J. WESTON PHIPPEN
AUG 23, 2016 NEWS

NEWS BRIEF Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte promised to begin a war on crime when he took office. Seven weeks into his presidency, more than 1,900 people have died, more than half of them in vigilante killings.

The National Police Chief, Ronald Dela Rosa, first gave the Philippine Senate inquiry a figure that was 100 deaths fewer, but by Tuesday he had revised that number to about 36 deaths per day. Of these, Dela Rosa said, police killed at least 712; the others, he said, were killed by vigilantes who often leave behind signs that warn others against becoming involved in drugs.

As the killings have risen, critics, including international human rights groups and local politicians, have become more vocal. As Reuters reported:

The inquiry is being conducted by a staunch critic of the president, Senator Leila de Lima, who has summoned top police and anti-narcotics officials to explain the "unprecedented" rise in the body count and reports of vigilante killings.

Duterte has warned legislators not to interfere with his campaign, saying they could be killed if they blocked efforts aimed at improving the country.
Over the weekend, Duterte threatened to pull his country out of the United Nations after a UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial Killings said she may visit the country to look into the spike in murders. Duterte called the UN “stupid” for wanting to interfere in his country. The next day his foreign affairs secretary apologized, saying Duterte did not mean what he’d said, and that when he’d made the statement, he was “tired, disappointed, hungry.”

The previous president, Benigno Aquino III, helped bring rapid economic growth to the country. Foreign investment rose in the Philippines, as did allegations of rampant political corruption, crime, and drug use. Duterte promised to clean the country up, and easily won the election. Since he took office, more than 700,000 drug addicts have turned themselves in to police out of fear they’ll be killed. The national police chief said crime has fallen since Duterte’s election—with the exception of homicides.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

J. WESTON PHIPPEN is a senior associate editor at The Atlantic, where he covers news.
Most Popular

Copyright © 2016 by The Atlantic Monthly Group. All Rights Reserved.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:04 pm

funny, ;)

I talked with a couple of American Filipino co workers about this today.

They mentioned they where very happy with the new pres, and that they felt that for the first time many of issues
regarding drugs and crime where being resolved. We talked about the western media and how its portrayed. They said their family members in the Philippines are very supportive as are the Filipino people. They felt the western media was very biased.

The age group was in their 50s, they mention that they've seen a lot of pres. come and go,
none of them made much of an impact...

For them, they'er very much in support of whats happening there.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:09 pm

"for them" is just anecdotal "many people say." Fair enough, here's from a Filipino site "for them."

In the fight against illegal drugs, the judiciary’s role is to “keep the social fabric intact, address people’s cry for justice, and thereby prevent society’s descent to anarchy,” Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno said on Thursday.

Speaking at a press briefing in Intramuros, Manila, Sereno reminded the public that the courts were designed to receive evidence and hand down convictions or acquittals—even as they do not directly attack the roots of criminality.

“What [the judiciary] provides is justice to the state and the victims if there is enough evidence of guilt—and to the accused if there is none,” she said.

Sereno also expressed concern “about the deficiency in our need to respect human dignity.”

“What will allow us to survive as a nation is the rule of law,” she stressed.

More than 1,700 drug suspects have been killed by police and alleged vigilantes since President Duterte took office on June 30 and immediately launched a brutal war on drugs, raising concern among international human rights groups and in the United Nations.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/809879/cou ... to-anarchy

But, I do wonder what Americans would say if their President said go out and kill druggies and dealers. I suppose that many would agree.

It's not just the western media that is concerned.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:37 pm

But, I do wonder what Americans would say if their President said go out and kill druggies and dealers. I suppose that many would agree.

To me the point would be whether it was lawful or not..At this point it time its not..

Whether they agree or not, just like being drafted for war,

some do not and take action based on their feelings, for others their feelings may not arise to the same level
they will act within the law. For some this indeed is what they want to do....and will go or join up....

According to my co-workers the level of corruption is pretty high. I think unless one
was living there or had family members it would be hard to say just based on social media.
The media itself can be or is, also subjected to being corrupt or corrupted.

It remains to be seen what the effect will be, so far according to those I know they feel it's been positive.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:51 pm

To me the point would be whether it was lawful or not..At this point it time its not..

At what point would you consider it lawful to advise the public to kill druggies and drug dealers? It's like arguing, well, right now, it's not legal to kill my boss.

It remains to be seen what the effect will be, so far according to those I know they feel it's been positive.

The effect has been the killing of 1700+ people. Let's assume they were all guilty. All that means is that they were lynched. Usually, one would expect an American to disagree with that on principle. I mean, like "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" etc. I understand it might not be an established principle some places, but that --and public opinion, which is what always leads to lynchings-- is irrelevant.

Anyway, it reminds me of the movie "The Purge" where --just for one night-- people are allowed to go out and kill.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:24 pm

I see no point in assuming anything.

I deal with and talk with those that it directly
or indirectly affects......For them in the way they explain it
it seems to be something they or their families want or wanted.

now they got it..

Time will tell....

I do find it odd that the US and other org. are trying to take
the moral high ground, something that those I talked with also noted.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Well I do have family there. I have a lot of relatives in the Philippines. My cousin's boyfriend and the father of her children was murdered by the police recently. Granted I barely know them but regardless of whether he deserved it or not my relatives the are in shock. I am not surprised that some Filipinos support him, he did get elected but I don't think shooting someone in the head is how you deal with drug addiction, which is why he was killed.

Yes, corruption is a big problem there. But I don't see how shooting addicts solves this.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:36 pm

grzegorz wrote:Well I do have family there. I have a lot of relatives in the Philippines. My cousin's boyfriend and the father of her children was murdered by the police recently. Granted I barely know them but regardless of whether he deserved it or not my relatives the are in shock. I am not surprised that some Filipinos support him, he did get elected but I don't think shooting someone in the head is how you deal with drug addiction, which is why he was killed.

Yes, corruption is a big problem there. But I don't see how shooting addicts solves this.

So what would you suggest?

Those I've talked with said many things have been done there over many yrs

what would you or those you know want to have done or feel should be done
to correct it ?

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:39 pm

windwalker wrote:
"lynchings" ::)

wow,,,,

Wow what? A lynching is an illegal killing for an alleged offense. In this case, without a legal trial. I didn't make up the word. But, my point stands. Sure, you can tell us what Filipinos think. I won't call you a liar and ask you to produce them. I cited a Filipino judge. My point stands. It's about lawlessness, not public opinion. I'm sure you wouldn't say that executions of drug users without trial would be okay in Muslim countries because it was public opinion --of Muslims in the US.

lynch: verb

gerund or present participle: lynching; noun: lynching

(of a mob) kill (someone), especially by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial.
synonyms: execute illegally, hang, kill; informal "string up"
"he was lynched by the mob"
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Well I do have family there. I have a lot of relatives in the Philippines. My cousin's boyfriend and the father of her children was murdered by the police recently.

condolences to the family

Granted I barely know them but regardless of whether he deserved it or not my relatives the are in shock.

If he deserved it, would they still be in shock? would it change anything.

I am not surprised that some Filipinos support him, he did get elected but I don't think shooting someone in the head is how you deal with drug addiction, which is why he was killed.

Some one who? Some Filipinos elected him and now support him,,,how much is "some"..

Dont know, I do know that if one brings drugs into many countries in that region one can be put to death.
if one was an addict would this change or should it affect how the law is applied.

Section 17 of the Misuse of Drugs Act[1] lists the amount of controlled drugs beyond which, the person who carries them shall be presumed to possess them for the purpose of drug trafficking unless proven otherwise:

Persons caught with less than the Mandatory Death Penalty amounts of these controlled substances face penalties ranging from caning[9] (up to 24 strokes) to life in prison. Pursuant to a law change in 2009, cannabis (marijuana) and marijuana mixtures (diluted with other substances) are treated the same under Singapore law—the presumed intent is trafficking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of ... (Singapore)

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Wow what? A lynching is an illegal killing for an alleged offense. In this case, without a legal trial. I didn't make up the word. But, my point stands. Sure, you can tell us what Filipinos think. I won't call you a liar and ask you to produce them. I cited a Filipino judge. My point stands. It's about lawlessness, not public opinion. I'm sure you wouldn't say that executions of drug users without trial would be okay in Muslim countries because it was public opinion --of Muslims in the US.

no you can tell us what Filipinos think...I'm not.

They chop off heads too in Muslim countries,,,What they might consider a trial in a court of law
might not meet the same requirements as in the US...
For me it matters little it's what they do in their country...

As long as they don't don't do it here.

There are Americans in the US who practice Islam.
they follow US law.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:19 pm

Hey, this isn't about whether it happens. I just don't buy a government official, let alone a president, encouraging citizens to kill other citizens. I don't see how it stops with the problem of drugs, and I can't see why the principle couldn't or wouldn't be extended to gays, prostitutes, or even to government officials.

Yeah, this is America. I think I've got American values, and that's why I think it's wrong. Well, I guess I can't say that some people don't deserve a bullet in the back of the head. Then again, I'm against the death penalty.

So, even if all your Filipino friends agree with him, I'd still say it was stupid, barbaric and morally wrong --that's even if the person murdered is guilty, even if there's a death penalty is some countries for drug use.

Anyway, I'm curious about the op because it seemed as if you thought it was a good thing. But, I don't really want to argue that it isn't. People make that decision for themselves and live with the consequences.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic