The Trump Follies 2

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Trump Follies 2

Postby KEND on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:29 pm

In January I predicted trump would last two years. I think I may have been optimistic. With the number of people fired growing the comparison between the apprentice and the WH is becoming more apparent. Trump has obviously lost his taste for the job and wants out, the firing of bannon could be the final straw.

Donald Trump’s First 100 Days: The Worst on Record
David Leonhardt APRIL 26, 2017
Franklin D. Roosevelt invented the idea of a president’s first 100 days. Roosevelt was actually referring to the first 100 days of a special Congressional session to fight the Great Depression, as Robert Speel of Penn State notes. But the idea soon came to mean the 100 days that start on Jan. 20 and that, for President Trump, will end on Saturday. No doubt, you’ve seen a torrent of coverage in recent days of the milestone. And while it’s certainly an arbitrary milestone, it’s also a meaningful one. Presidents are at their most influential in their early months, which makes that period a particularly important one for a presidency. Here’s my reading of Trump’s start: It’s the least successful first 100 days since the concept existed. Even if you forget about the content of his actions — whether they strengthened or weakened the country — and focus only on how much he accomplished, it’s a poor beginning. His supporters deserve to be disappointed, and his opponents should be cheered by how unsuccessful his agenda has been Before now, the weakest starts probably belonged to Bill Clinton and to John F. Kennedy. Partly as a result, neither of them ended up being as consequential presidents as, say, Lyndon B. Johnson, Ronald Reagan or Barack Obama. And yet Trump’s first 100 days have been vastly weaker than Clinton’s or Kennedy’s:
Trump has made no significant progress on any major legislation. His health care bill is a zombie. His border wall is stalled. He’s only now releasing basic principles of a tax plan. Even his executive order on immigration is tied up in the courts. By contrast, George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan had made substantial progress toward passing tax cuts, and Barack Obama had passed, among other things, a huge stimulus bill that also addressed education and climate policy.
Trump is far behind staffing his administration. Trump has made a mere 50 nominations to fill the top 553 positions of the executive branch, as of Friday. That’s right: He hasn’t even nominated anyone for 90 percent of its top jobs. The average president since 1989 had nominated twice as many, according to the Partnership for Public Service. Part of the reason is a lack of execution: The administration has been slow to make nominations. And part of the reason is who is being nominated: A disproportionate number of affluent investors and business executives with many potential conflicts of interest that require vetting. Either way, the effects are real. The executive branch can’t push through the president’s priorities if it doesn’t have his people in place.
The Trump administration is more nagged by scandal than any previous administration. No new administration has dealt with a potential scandal anywhere near as large or as distracting as the Russia investigation. It could recede over time, true. But it also could come to dominate the Trump presidency.
Trump has no clear foreign policy. Is he protectionist, as he appeared to be when starting a trade spat with Canada on Tuesday, or a globalist, as he appeared when backing off his criticism of China? Is he an isolationist, an interventionist or some alternative? No one seems to know, which confuses allies and does a favor for rivals who would welcome diminished American influence.
Trump is by far the least popular new president in the modern polling era. His approval rating is just 41 percent, according to FiveThirtyEight. All other elected presidents since Roosevelt have had an approval rating of at least 53 percent after 100 days. (Gerald Ford was at 45 percent.) Some, including Obama, Reagan and Johnson, have been above 60 percent. Trump’s low approval isn’t only a reflection of his struggles. It also becomes a cause of further struggles. Members of Congress aren’t afraid to buck an unpopular president, which helps explain the collapse of Trumpcare.
Obviously, Trump can claim some successes on his own terms. Most consequentially, he has named a Supreme Court justice who could serve for decades. Trump has also put in place some meaningful executive orders, on climate policy above all, and he has allied the federal government with the cause of white nationalism, as Jonathan Chait wrote. Trump remains the most powerful person in the country, if not the world. It would be foolish for anyone to be complacent about what he can do. Yet by the modern standards of the office, he is a weak president off to a uniquely poor start. It’s worth considering one final point, too. So far, I’ve been judging him on his own terms. History, of course, will not. And I expect that a couple of his biggest so-called accomplishments — aggravating climate change and treating nonwhite citizens as less than fully American — are likely to be judged very harshly one day.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: The Trump Follies 2

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 am

Well, he only named a SC justice because Congress refused to even hear Obama's nomination. Fair or not; it's fake to call it a Trump success. He has put in place new environmental policies, meaning he's removed environmental protections. We'll probably have some form of "wall" project. Even if it's just repairing broken parts of the existing wall, he'll call it a success. Except that Mexico will not pay for it, we will because funds will come out of the budget and his proposed punitive tariffs on Mexican goods will only harm US consumers. (En Mexico, nadie compra camisas Americanas).

Afa walls, however, there's no doubt that he's succeeded in becoming a "Great Divider." That's either because he's deceptive or schizoid. It's ridiculous to have thought that someone vulgar would be able to show class. Ok, he's an everyman, and talks the way ordinary people do. But, ordinary people can also be honest and humble.

Wall Street's doing well, and he's taking credit for its new records. True, he's the reason. Wall Street loves fewer regulations and if he wants to lower corporate and personal taxes, great. Hey, if it works, fine. It's just that he said that the market was a "big bubble" during Obama's term. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0zg_Cf4K4w

Undoubtedly, Korea was a success. I.e., there was no nuclear war. Ok, Trump versus Kim wasn't like Kennedy facing down Khruschev. But, history will be relatively kind. Afa scandal, there would have been almost as much if Clinton had been elected. It's much better that Trump won though. The status of the US has not been raised. There's not even been applause from Putin.

Nevertheless, Trump has done what Clinton could never have dreamed: given Republicans and Democrats things to agree on.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:43 am

I tend to pass over trump jokes but this one struck a chord

Donald Trump went to London and met with the Queen.

"Your Queenship, “he asked her. “I am finding things way more difficult than I could have imagined. May I ask you - how do you run such an efficient government? Are there any tips you can give me?”

“Well," replied Her Majesty, "the most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people."

Trump frowned.

"But how do you know the people around you are really intelligent?" he asked.

"Oh, that's easy” the Queen replied. “You just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle.”

She pushed a button on her intercom. “Please send Theresa May in here."

The Prime Minister walked into the room.

“You called for me, Your Majesty?"

"Answer me this, if you would, Theresa. “ the Queen said. “Your mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your sister. Who is it?”

Without pausing for even a second, Theresa May answered, “That would be me."

"Yes! Very good,” said the Queen.

Trump went back home, returned to the White House and the very next day called for Mike Pence to come and see him.

Pence duly trotted in to the Oval Office.

“Mike, answer this for me," said the Don. “Your mother and your father have a child. It's not your brother and it's not your sister. Who is it?”

"I'm not sure," said Pence. “Let me get back to you on that one.

Pence went panicking off to his advisers and asked everyone, but none of them could give him an answer.

The next night, as it happened, Pence ran in to Hillary Clinton in a restaurant. By now, desperate for an answer to give to his tyrannical boss, he approached her – much to her surprise.

“Hillary, I know we haven’t always seen eye to eye but I would really appreciate it if you could answer this riddle for me.

“Sure, Mike “Hillary said. “I’m not one to hold a grudge. What is it?”

“Thanks, said Pence,” It’s this. Your mother and father have a child and it's not your brother or your sister. Who is it?”

Hillary answered right back, “That's easy, it's me!"

Pence smiled, “Thanks!"

Pence then went back to speak with Trump. "Say, boss, I did some research and I have the answer to that riddle. It’s Hillary Clinton.”

Trump got up, stomped over to Pence, and angrily yelled at him. "No, you idiot! It’s Theresa May!"
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Nice dad joke, Ken. ;)
Michael

Postby KEND on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:26 am

Another one down, another misstep[transsexuals and racist sheriff] Ask not for whom the bell tolls
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 am

Ken, you obviously haven't been watching FOX news. Afa the sheriff pardon, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the beginning of many. Oh well, truth, justice and the American way. Everyone will surely want to be more ethical now.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:45 am

Fashion shoot in Texas

When is a shoe not just a shoe?

When it is a pair of very high, needle-thin heels worn by the first lady of the United States on her way to the site of a natural disaster. Then it becomes a symbol for what many see as the disconnect between the Trump administration and reality; another example of the way in which this president and his family continue to define “appropriate” their own way; and an excuse for partisan name-calling. Or so became apparent Tuesday morning when President Trump and his wife left the White House to fly to Texas for a briefing on the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey, and Mrs. Trump appeared on the lawn in black pegged trousers, black shades, an olive green bomber jacket — and her stilettos, now a trademark. Very much the same kind of shoes, in other words, she has been wearing since long before she joined her husband on the campaign trail.

Though by the time the plane had landed Mrs. Trump looked altogether more grounded, in white sneakers and crisp white shirt, with a ponytail pulled through a black baseball cap emblazoned with the word “FLOTUS,” during her time in the air the original shoes went from being mere footwear to objects of vilification thanks to social media’s specific kind of alchemy.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Saw McLain's speech, I have never been a supporter of his but I had to admire him as a warrior, calling out the loudmouth, liar and draft dodger
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:32 am

Ah, in 2008, I remember writing that I could vote for McCain. It was clear that he is a man with American principles and a strong character. Unfortunately, it was only Palin that was a worry -because of her ignorance. I could disagree with McCain's political stance, but he was honest, honorable, and never bought into the fabrications and baiting that Palin freely passed along. It may be that he could have won if he'd called Obama a Muslim.

I also admire the Bushes for the principles they stated publicly. Yeah, they were wealthy Texans, and probably unscrupulous with their competitors, and have lied while in office, I don't recall them ever insulting a dem, let alone another republican.

Ya can't tell me that America wasn't greater even two years ago, before campaign season. But it hit a new low when people March with the Nazi flag and "Ol' Glory" side by side and the president doesn't think it's disrespectful or call them. However, he sign something condemning them. He was forced to by Congress, so it's worthless.

Anyway, Trump is an entertainer with an inordinately high opinion of himself. He's a trickster, too. For him, it's all about the show, how it looks, and how to win ratings. Of course, like Charlie Sheen, no matter what happens, he'll call it winning and looking great.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:29 am

Certain people with priviledge can get away with sh*t that others (the majority) cannot get away with and this is US behavioural justice. The pattern will persist in spite of and regardless of crap!
Trump can get away with grabbing women by the pus*y and still be elected dictator of the World, That is just the behavioural pattern. and he will serve his 4 years
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby KEND on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:49 am

Falling on his sword like any good soldier Kelly defended trumps crass remarks by criticizing the congresswoman for listening in on the presidents call, calling it ‘politicising the sacred conversation. This ‘politicising , if I remember correctly started by trump when he could not resist [falsely as it happens, creating a guiness record where two previous presidents, democrat and republican scolded him] snide remarks about his predecessors. What men will do for power
As an aside I heard ryans speech also, and guess what, he has a sense of humor, surprising considering his ability to take anything that trump can hand out and still support him to get his mean spirited agenda through.
White House chief of staff John Kelly, a retired Marine general whose own son died in combat, told reporters Thursday that he was “stunned” to hear a Florida congresswoman politicize President Donald Trump’s call to comfort the family of a fallen soldier.
Kelly spoke at the White House press briefing following uproar over Democratic Florida Rep. Frederica Wilson’s attacks against the president. Wilson claimed Trump made an insensitive phone call to the widow of Army Sgt. La David T. Johnson.
“I was stunned when I came to work yesterday morning and brokenhearted at what I saw a member of Congress doing,” Kelly said. Rep. Wilson said Trump made Johnson’s widow, Myeshia, cry because he told her that her husband “must have known what he signed up for.” The retired Marine said that presidents don’t typically call the next of kin of fallen troops and that he actually recommended that Trump not call. “If you elect to call a family like this it is about the most difficult thing you can imagine. There’s no perfect way to make that phone call,” the retired general said. “[Trump] called four people the other day and expressed his condolences in the best way he could and he said to me, ‘What do I say?'”
Kelly went on to say that he told the president what Kelly’s friend Marine Gen. Joe Dunford told him when Kelly’s own son died. “He said, ‘Kel, he was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed. He knew what he was getting into by joining… that 1 percent. He knew what the possibilities were, because we’re at war. And when he died… he was surrounded by the best men on this earth, his friends. That’s what the president tried to say to four families the other day.”The White House chief of staff then lamented the lack of sacred things left in American society. “It stuns me that a member of Congress would have listened in on that conversation. Absolutely stuns me. And I thought at least that was sacred. You know when I was a kid growing up a lot of things were sacred in our country. Women were sacred, looked upon with great honor. That’s obviously not the case anymore as we see from recent cases. Life, the dignity of life, was sacred. Religion, that seems to be gone as well. Gold star families, I think that left in the convention over the summer. I just thought the selfless devotion that brings a man or a woman to die on the battlefield, I just thought that might be sacred.”
* "YOU HAVE BEEN SAT TO LONG HERE FOR ANY GOOD YOU HAVE BEEN DOING. DEPART, I SAY, AND LET US HAVE DONE WITH YOU. IN THE NAME OF GOD, GO!."
Cromwell Addressing the Rump Parliament. April 1653.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:51 am

Privileged? I just read that this is the third weekend in a row that he's gone golfing. He's taken more vacations in nine months than his predecessor took in four years. Yes, I know. He does his deals on the golf course. He's the hardest working man in show business. But, I bet Melanie might enjoy the time off.

None of this is relevant. It's just that one can list his criticisms of others and not find one that doesn't apply to him.

Then again what's more interesting and relevant is that few have the balls to acknowledge what they can see with their eyes. In fact, those that do are reviled for being disloyal or just leftist liberals. Alas, it's clear that he'll get away with making a statement, and then say "I don't know, but people have told me. And many people say."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 pm

He wants out? The last thing he wants The World to believe is that he is a quitter. He has always preached ”never ever give up.” Maybe he will try to be on the golf course as much as possible, but he won’t give up his position.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Lawrence: 'Stunned' By John Kelly's Attack On Rep ... - YouTube
Video for lawrence o'donnell ON GEN KELLY youtube▶ 19:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_p7hwUl3o
2 days ago - Uploaded by MSNBC
Lawrence O'Donnell explains why Kelly was noble and cruel all at once. .... Empty barrel: A very accurate ...
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:11 am

It was noble for Kelly to reaffirm his boss. It was unnecessary, if not ignoble, to criticize the representative. Unlike the prez, she only told the truth. And, even so, the issue was why the prez didn't acknowledge the loss of those soldiers earlier. Of course, when he did, he made sure to congratulate himself on how much better he handled it compared to his predecessors. To prove his point, he brought up Kelly's son, and that Kelly didn't get a call from Obama. That was true, but the fact is that Trump hasn't called the families of all the service men and women who've been killed. Bush and Obama had far more calls and letters to write too.

My son is in active service now. If something happened to him, I would not expect a call or letter. Kelly is right that I would prefer to hear from those who served with him. I'd want to know exactly how he died. It wouldn't be necessary for someone to tell me that he knew what he was getting into. I'd hate anyone who used his death to score political points.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic