"Beyond the Pale: China's Cheerful Racists"

Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: "Beyond the Pale: China's Cheerful Racists"

Postby windwalker on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Michael wrote:Did you know of a black American from Chicago who lived in Shanghai and had a popular youtube channel called Loser Laowai? He thought his life was better in China, married a local woman, but he eventually moved away from Shanghai to some university on the outskirts of Hangzhou in order to do what pretty much everyone in China does if they can, which is avoid public exposure.

Good he learned something. Namely conforming to the culture and understanding
what happens when you don't.

In other words he assimilated.

I've found in China and here they very much respect skill, regardless or who or where the skill derives from.
In teaching whats more or less my own CMA style "Tsang-Lu” 蒼 鷺, I've been encouraged and recognized
for the skill by others also practicing CMA.

The OP seemed to me to be written by someone expecting everything to be their way, and then wondering why it wasn't
when living in another culture.

As to cultures based on ethnicity's, American Iranians, and Koreans, Chinese ect. often find out how much
they are regarded as part of the ethnicity of those countries which they hold up in the US as being part of and recognized as such,
but suddenly proclaim they are Americans when say N-korea or Iran decides to hold them accountable to something based on it
when they decide to go back for a visit.

some thoughts on China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwuEqb ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
rule 19
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am

What I found most interesting about teaching male teenagers in China was that they almost all idolized NBA stars who happened to be black.

I worked with a teacher from Africa and he didn't see the Chinese as racists as much curious. He heard people say that the Chinese were racists but his belief was that they were not really racist as much they just don't know what to think of other cultures.

Saying that I do recall that some of my students told me that Osama Bin Laden was their hero so if I were a white American living there I would not be waving my passport around believing it gave me diplomatic immunity. Sure no one is going to hit you over the head with a brick but in a moment's notice the tide could change.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Fascists rejected reason in the name of will, denying objective truth in favor of a glorious myth articulated by leaders who claimed to give voice to the people."

-Timothy Snyder
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Racism is confused with a lot of things, but I don't think there are any laws restricting dark skinned people. There may be prejudice, but that usually comes from those who are only exposure to others is how they're portrayed in the media.

Curiosity and stereotyping go together. When I was in Switzerland, when we went to the gym, the kids would ask if I were a famous basketballer. That was in a big city like Zurich. In the countryside, where some didn't even watch tv, the people would be curious about me --but they didn't have any preconceived ideas.

By the same token, when my girlfriend came back from China --in the 90s. She said that some people would fall off their bikes because they were staring at her. Being considered exotic is not always racism, nor is it always negative. It's often funny.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Great points as always Steve and Kobe is still king in China.

Kobe Bryant more popular than Steph Curry in China

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/sport/nba ... index.html
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Fascists rejected reason in the name of will, denying objective truth in favor of a glorious myth articulated by leaders who claimed to give voice to the people."

-Timothy Snyder
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic