Cambridge Analytica's use of FB

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Cambridge Analytica's use of FB

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 am

Cambridge Analytica's use of facebook.

https://youtu.be/FXdYSQ6nu-M

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Cambridge Analytica's use of FB

Postby vadaga on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:55 pm

more to the point, can I sue facebook for putting Orange Man in the WH
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Makes total sense that Putin manipulated the UK into Brexit. He has all the hardline Conservative MPs in his pocket - Johnson, Mogg - they all take his money. He's probably got like 2 or 3 guys who just constantly influence Nigel Farage. The breakup of the EU plays right into his hands.

Must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb3e79-OTOg
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 pm

vadaga wrote:more to the point, can I sue facebook for putting Orange Man in the WH

You saw this coming a decade ago, didn't you?

Thanks G, I will watch it.

Daily Mail...

'We exploited Facebook to target people's inner demons': How a vegan who once worked for the Lib Dems created the software which helped bring about Trump and Brexit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rexit.html

Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 pm

He is good. It is the case that in the US there is a growing Russian or I should say Putin sympathizer movement happening here and it seems to draw in people who are willing to listen to conspiracy theories.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 pm

Last year I met a Trump voting American who told me he voted Trump because the US needed a strong leader, "like Putin", for the coming war with the Muslims. And that I should go home and "fill my house with guns".
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 pm

GrahamB wrote:Last year I met a Trump voting American who told me he voted Trump because the US needed a strong leader, "like Putin", for the coming war with the Muslims. And that I should go home and "fill my house with guns".

LOL! -lol-

Mate that's everyday (almost everyday) for me and I live in California.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:51 pm

Hidden Camera on Cambridge Analytica.

Thank God for the Brits!

Watch "Cambridge Analytica Uncovered: Secret filming reveals election tricks" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/mpbeOCKZFfQ
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Thank god for the Brits? Mate, we’re a nation of easily led Lemmings who have sleep-walked into bed with Putin. There’s no hope for us. Just throw a few simple slogans at us and we’ll do whatever you want. #thewillofthepeople #crushthesabateurs #takebackcontrol
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:48 am

It is the same here but at least UK journalists have exposed Cambridge Analytica. I have known about them since the election but for whatever reason the story did not receive any attention until these interviews.

I am glad people can finally see what is happening around the world. Because since it has worked so well it will continue to happen especially left unexposed.

Btw, that country they were talking about was probably Poland. The "moderates" were smeared in scandals from recordings of conversations in restaurants and lost everything to the right wing.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:01 am

grzegorz wrote:
vadaga wrote:more to the point, can I sue facebook for putting Orange Man in the WH

You saw this coming a decade ago, didn't you?

I don't remember, did I make such a comment to you about FB at the time?

CF. Brexit. It has definitely been spoken about in international policy circles for at least 10 years that Putin wanted to break up the EU, due to Russia wanting a group of weak satellite buffer states on the west and also that way they cannot unite in sanctions. Loads of international relations papers out there on this. if you check into something written by some of the SAIS professors or CSIS you will be able to find many papers of on this subject very quickly.

The other favorite theory of the time was the 'China is the next Nazi Germany' theory. Jury still out on that one. I poo-poohed it before Xi came into power but since 2012 I have become more ambivalent. Still I don't think the PRC will go into land grab mode...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:30 am

No doubt and Ukraine tied it all together. Ukraine being the new Poland. But like Poland sometimes the people in those buffer states don't want to be just buffer states.

I am still curious to see how Brexit plays out. Strange that Brits living outside of UK did not get to vote.

All over the news now the talking heads are defending Trump's "right to be upset" over the leak that he was told not to call Putin. Even though days ago he was supposed to be tough on Putin for their poisining of the ex-spy in the UK. What a joke!

I wonder how the country would have reacted if Obama did that.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:10 pm

All over the news now the talking heads are defending Trump's "right to be upset" over the leak that he was told not to call Putin. Even though days ago he was supposed to be tough on Putin for their poisining of the ex-spy in the UK. What a joke!

I wonder how the country would have reacted if Obama did that.

Trump is right to be upset. I would be too. But, I don't think he should trust anyone in his administration or office not to tell the truth when it comes to national security. The leaker is being patriotic to the country --his oath to the Constitution, etc-- not the president. He wasn't leaking a state secret; and he wasn't passing along "fake news" --which he could; he's just telling the truth. Damn right Trump's pissed.

Anyway, I've said it before. He'll be taken out from the inside by people who wanted to support him.

Afa Obama, ya mean if someone in his administration heard him confirming the Kenya rumors? Or, if someone found that he only got Cs at Harvard?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:53 pm

According to Zuckerberg, no laws were broken and others have done the same before C.A. came along......

In 2013, a Cambridge University researcher named Aleksandr Kogan created a personality quiz app. It was installed by around 300,000 people who shared their data as well as some of their friends' data. Given the way our platform worked at the time this meant Kogan was able to access tens of millions of their friends' data.

In 2014, to prevent abusive apps, we announced that we were changing the entire platform to dramatically limit the data apps could access. Most importantly, apps like Kogan's could no longer ask for data about a person's friends unless their friends had also authorized the app. We also required developers to get approval from us before they could request any sensitive data from people. These actions would prevent any app like Kogan's from being able to access so much data today.

In 2015, we learned from journalists at The Guardian that Kogan had shared data from his app with Cambridge Analytica. It is against our policies for developers to share data without people's consent, so we immediately banned Kogan's app from our platform, and demanded that Kogan and Cambridge Analytica formally certify that they had deleted all improperly acquired data. They provided these certifications.

Last week, we learned from The Guardian, The New York Times and Channel 4 that Cambridge Analytica may not have deleted the data as they had certified. We immediately banned them from using any of our services. Cambridge Analytica claims they have already deleted the data and has agreed to a forensic audit by a firm we hired to confirm this. We're also working with regulators as they investigate what happened.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:54 pm

I don't remember, did I make such a comment to you about FB at the time?

You said you didn't want FB selling your personal information so you closed your account.
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic