"Mr. X" in Martial Musings = BK Frantzis right? (NEW info)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

"Mr. X" in Martial Musings = BK Frantzis right? (NEW info)

Postby ShortFormMike on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:16 pm

I'm referring to the section "Mr. X" in Robert W. Smith's book. New York, Colorado, California, Wang Shu Jin, Hong Yixiang... I gotta assume that's him. hilarious.

EDIT: i've posted new info about who put BKF through a glass window.
Last edited by ShortFormMike on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Re: "Mr. X" in Martial Musings = BK Frantzis right?

Postby grzegorz on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm almost positive it is.

When it comes to fighting BKF doesn't mess around!
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby ShortFormMike on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 pm

i like how that judo guy tossed Bruce/X so many times "even his crawl had a limp to it." didn't put that story in his book. in fact, he only mentions getting thrown by a judo guy once.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby ShortFormMike on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:43 pm

So i'm really curious, did a california judo champ really put Kumar through a glass window? (Him giving seminars on "Money Has No Odor" was just a joke, right?)

i love stories about brawlers. they do what i'm too big of a puss to do.
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm not completely sure about that but I imagine it could have happened.

The point being is that the judo champ could probably toss just about anybody once he got his grips, most judo champs can.

In his book he mentions a sparring with a judo champ using WC and everytime they got into range to use his WC he got tossed.

In fact when I trained with him he encouraged me to do judo, but he didn't think much of BJJ. ;)

Also BKF hadn't met his main teacher Liu at that point. So although I'm sure he was already a killer he hadn't yet reached prime yet.

I have heard him admit to Bruce Lee kicking his ass at a tournament. He said is was the "Summer of Love.' (:

Got to respect someone saying that. While the rest of the world was dropping acid, listening to Hendrix ,protesting the war and having sex, BKF and Bruce Lee were still all about kicking ass.

Men like these are one of a kind.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 am

I thought BKF was a bit of a judo man himself at some point and holds a BB from the Kodokan ?

It's quite credible however that in a game of Judo against a champ he could have been dominated somewhat, no one is superman.. But i gotta hand it to BKF, he got around and put it out there by the sounds of it. Good on him,
plus I thoroughly enjoyed his Power of internal Arts book.

Must get a hold of this Martial Musings - In fact i'm gonna order it today! :)
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:43 am

cloudz wrote:I thought BKF was a bit of a judo man himself at some point and holds a BB from the Kodokan ?

It's quite credible however that in a game of Judo against a champ he could have been dominated somewhat, no one is superman.. But i gotta hand it to BKF, he got around and put it out there by the sounds of it. Good on him,
plus I thoroughly enjoyed his Power of internal Arts book.

Must get a hold of this Martial Musings - In fact i'm gonna order it today! :)

Yes BKF did train at the Kodokan and had BBs in Judo, Jujitsu and Aikido. But I don't believe he became a judo champion.

Although he trained a lot of judo as a young man I think striking was also a big concern for him, besides most fights start and end there.

In general I don't think training to win was ever his main thing as much as training to fight. Meaning that I believe he cross trained a lot as a young man instead of just doing judo or karate for hours and hours a day to become a champ in that one sport.

BKF is an interesting man. If you ever get a chance to meet him you should.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby ShortFormMike on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Yea I've met BKF at one of his 5day things. asked him a few questions at dinner too. there he told me about sparring w/ Luo Dexiu "kicked him in the head," and that if i had "killed someone with martial arts" i would understand what he meant when he said he had ghosts in his body.

i'm a little skeptical of some things, but still an admirer for sure. most of his writings have a way of not so subtly suggesting that "this is the best system". but that's nothing new and didn't keep me from wearing them out w/ multiple readings.

Kumar had us submit our questions in writing and at the end of mine i put "thanks i think you're badass." i saw him laugh when he read it.
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby Alexander on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:48 pm

ShortFormMike wrote:Kumar had us submit our questions in writing and at the end of mine i put "thanks i think you're badass." i saw him laugh when he read it.

Haha, that's great.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby Andy_S on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:23 pm

SNIP
"if i had "killed someone with martial arts" i would understand what he meant when he said he had ghosts in his body"
SNIP

WFT? Kumar has murdered people using MA (!) - and so is possessed by their spirits (!!)?

If this is what he did, indeed, mean, I think Greg's comment on Kumar/Mr X being "an interesting man" is rather an understatement.

And re Luo De-xiu:
Who kicked who in the head? IIRC from Kumar's book, Luo had a devastating stamp kick to the heart, not the head. But my memory may be going as my dotage approaches.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby ShortFormMike on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Snip: WFT? Kumar has murdered people using MA (!) - and so is possessed by their spirits (!!)?

he basically was one step below actually telling me he had killed someone. this was actually not a surprise to me since a couple of his students told me as much.

SNIP: And re Luo De-xiu:
Who kicked who in the head? IIRC from Kumar's book, Luo had a devastating stamp kick to the heart, not the head. But my memory may be going as my dotage approaches.

he said he kicked Luo in the head. sorta implying being able to do so on someone of his calibre is quite awesome.
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby grzegorz on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:54 pm

ShortFormMike wrote:he said he kicked Luo in the head. sorta implying being able to do so on someone of his calibre is quite awesome.

That was actually BKF's favorite technique before training with the Chinese. He was a kicker and he used to love kicking people in the head.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Wow I don't even remember a "Mr X" in that book. Been years since I read it though. I really wanted to like that book, but it was so poorly written and disjointed it was hard to follow. One long ass editorial.
Chris Fleming

Postby ShortFormMike on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:02 pm

I thought it was well written and i liked how it had so much more than just martial arts. e.g. great literary references and quotations. most martial art books read like a monograph. this one doesn't. i highly recommend it.
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Well written? It reads something like this: "well I was walking down the street one day and that reminds me of so and so, yeah, he's no good whatsoever, and then I picked up a couple of shirts from the dry cleaners and the collars didn't seem too starched so I was happy. Yeah back at the kodokan people really trained hard back then and Bluming and Drager liked Japanese food. They sure trained hard but weren't as soft as Cheng Man Ching. Hey, that car just went 10 miles over the speed limit! Can you believe people these days? Sweet Georgia Brown!"
Chris Fleming

Next

Return to Off the Topic