seated tai chi

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

seated tai chi

Postby Dabbler on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Well with all us arm chair martial artists on here it might be worth checking out. Just not sure about the guy in the white coat being a lipid consultant :-\
Dabbler
Anjing

Re: seated tai chi

Postby StanTheMan on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:15 pm

hmph! not ONE of them is lifting their anus....
StanTheMan
Anjing

Postby yusuf on Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:23 am

i showed my mum (70 odd) some movements from Tai Chi to do when sitting on a chair. She did quite well and i even caught her doign the same movements in standing. :) It was very beneficial and her posture/demeanour changed completely.

alas, she sort of slipped back into getting old and stopped exercising, so all the benefits slipped away..
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:58 pm

When I was studying with Don Rubbo in CA, since I was in his teacher training program I went to basically everything that he taught and he and his wife are great supporters of teaching internal practices to older people and people who were undergoing deep physical rehabilitation. Like recovering from strokes and that kind of thing.

As much as I like the fighty stuff, I was really surprised with how rewarding I found teaching old people qigong and watching it palpably change their lives for the better. I really enjoyed it.

S- hippy like dat.
Last edited by shawnsegler on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby gretel on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:08 pm

shawnsegler wrote:As much as I like the fighty stuff, I was really surprised with how rewarding I found teaching old people qigong and watching it palpably change their lives for the better. I really enjoyed it.

S- hippy like dat.

Liked the video. This is my second quarter teaching what I call Senior Friendly Tai Chi to community education folks. My class members range in age from 50 to middle 80's. They are great and are having a good time. We have a lot of fun. I don't have any who need to sit in chairs, but I have no doubt that we could adapt the program to that. They are also very social. They are talking about improved balance, etc., already. The classes are different from how I was taught in having more warm ups, more exercises, a little chi gong, and taking the first movements of Wu form very, very slowly and systematically.

also hippy like dat.

gretel
gretel
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm in the process of writing a paper on why tjq's modern function serves better as a health art than a fighting art. I really honestly believe that the benefits of tjq are much bigger than beating people. It is just so much more useful for helping people help themselves.

3X the hippy.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:34 pm

James I just vomited a bit in my own mouth ;D

But that's secretly why I do neijia. So that I'll live forever, or at least until they can cryogenically freeze my head and genitals.
Ian

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Ian wrote:James I just vomited a bit in my own mouth ;D

But that's secretly why I do neijia. So that I'll live forever, or at least until they can cryogenically freeze my head and genitals.

hey man, as always, YMMV. Oh by the way, did that hatchet wound heal up yet? ;D :) ;D :-*
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 am

Ian wrote:James I just vomited a bit in my own mouth ;D

why would you want to freeze your genitals... they could just wire up your head to think you had been having intimate relationships with the people of your choice...
Last edited by yusuf on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:18 pm

i am doing some seated qigong while a foot injury heals.

i think we should call tai chee "martial-arts-based health exercises for everyone" and not bother talking about "taijiquan" to 99.9999% of people
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Brady on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:57 pm

I tried this, or a similar, wheelchair taichi form and it was really hard! I could not do it at all.
Brady
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 pm

I think it could be a good exercise. But I do wish they could move waist and spine more. If you dont have the benefit from using transitions from stances, you should compensate that by other movement. Maybe "Leaning Wu" would be better than "24 Yang" to practice in a wheelchair.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic