New Kodokan X Old(traditional/original) Kodokan

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

New Kodokan X Old(traditional/original) Kodokan

Postby B_Diniz on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:31 am

A very interesting Portuguese Judo website http://www.judofamiliafontes.com/2010/09/judo-tradicional-texto-adaptado-por.html, who claims to teaches the tradiotional or original kodokan martial art style, (Gigoro) Kano-Ryu named. Tells a interesting fact:

"Before World War 2 Judo was taught as a martial art, and taught at the Kodokan is the "real" art created by Jigoro Kano.
With the outbreak of war the military brass asked Jigoro Kano, to teach this art to its military for war, and he immediately said no, because this was not the purpose of Judo. According to the Judo served to preserve peace and not otherwise.
Because of this attitude, the Kodokan was ordered shut down and Kano sensei was talking directly to the emperor, and ask him for it not to use "their" Kodokan to teach the military.
The emperor greatly admired by the Kano, agreed, but with a very diplomatic answer you said "yes, kano, as long as you live the Kodokan will not be used" for this.
Interestingly Jigoro Kano died months later, "supposedly" of pneumonia on board a boat vessel while returning to Cairo for a meeting of the International Olympic Committee (interesting are some reports that say that this patient has never been seen on board), it is curious also the fact that soon after his death the Kodokan was reopened with the permission of the government (new Kodokan), but only for education and sport."

Anyone agree with this?

please guys dont nuke my post again!
B_Diniz
Anjing

Re: New Kodokan X Old(traditional/original) Kodokan

Postby gzregorz on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:22 am

I always judo was for education. What changed?
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby B_Diniz on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:49 pm

not for education I mean, but for sports affairs mainly.

Kano was against the idea to judo became a olimpic sport,

When Kano is living
1) Judo being Martial Art for education

When Kano is death:
2) Judo as Martial Art for sport and Entertainment aprouch

But now I see a few groups trying to rescue this judo side, even using sport to it, like Flavio Canto (Brazilian Judo guy)
B_Diniz
Anjing

Postby cerebus on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:52 pm

The original Kodokan Kata include self defense and hand-to-hand combat methods suitable for the military (Kime No Kata, and Goshinjutsu No Kata, as well as the various joint-locking and choking methods). These are seldom taught anymore...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic