Anyone got vid for the Lesnar Fight.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Anyone got vid for the Lesnar Fight.

Postby Wuyizidi on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 am

I wonder, as a wrestler your head don't really get 'rocked' (by punches) the way boxers have to get used to. It seems he didn't know what to do when that happened. So it could be an experience issue there.

As for skill: Valasquez connected with 48 of his 59 punches. Looks like Lesnar has a pretty serious weakness when it comes to striking. People who are more familiar with BJJ, can you answer this question: how technical is Brock's ground game? He seems to have no problem getting Valasquez down, but when Valasquez countered his submission attempts, he didn't seem to be able to change/counter. So that made it look like Valasquez got free rather easily each time.

I've been watching the Lesnar-Valasquez previews the last couple of weeks. The way UFC portrayed Lesnar, he was the second coming of Beowulf. So it was really disappointing that while Valasquez had a great performance, Lesnar had a very poor one.

Last edited by Wuyizidi on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:39 am

those were 2 big guys hammering on each other.

for me and from my viewpoint, that was shit.
there was nothing there but some kind of rutting elks hammering away, covering up.

ugly in how it looked, no style, no grace, no sweetness.

I've pretty much lost it now and I can't watch these shit fights anymore.

Light heavyweights and down exhibit far more skill.

for heavyweights, you need to watch boxing.

ufc is garbage.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:those were 2 big guys hammering on each other.

for me and from my viewpoint, that was shit.
there was nothing there but some kind of rutting elks hammering away, covering up.

ugly in how it looked, no style, no grace, no sweetness.

I've pretty much lost it now and I can't watch these shit fights anymore.

Light heavyweights and down exhibit far more skill.

for heavyweights, you need to watch boxing.

ufc is garbage.

Cain showed some nice skill in how he survived that initial clash and then went on, picking his shots, getting Lesnar with a pretty much perfect knee to the head, etc. After the fight Cain said that he initially went into brawl mode and it took him a little bit to get back to his gameplan.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:51 pm

it's more that super heavies probably haven't had sufficient numbers of competitors to mature the need for the well-roundedness the lighter classes have needed. i thought lesnar's attempt to quickly make space and time by rolling away was tactically smart but that breakdancing gif is great.
Last edited by everything on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Wuyizidi wrote:how technical is Brock's ground game? He seems to have no problem getting Valasquez down, but when Valasquez countered his submission attempts, he didn't seem to be able to change/counter. So that made it look like Valasquez got free rather easily each time.

I think he definitely knows what he's doing on the ground, but seems to rely (by BJJ standards at least) on his strength and speed a lot.
Apparently he's not used to people actually fighting back consistently, so when he couldn't intimidate his opponent, he "lost his heart", and when that happens, the loss of the fight is just a matter of time (unless of course the other guy does something really stupid.) This is what I think happened here -- plus he's been pounded a lot so that "distracted" him a bit from giving good resistance on the ground in this particular case. FWIW (Didn't see the whole match -- just the final part posted in that first youtube link on the first page.)
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Brock may end up being one of those fighters who was champion several times over by the time his career is over, learning from each loss. He got beat but will probably come back better the next time, like after the Frank Mir loss. His winning formula coming off of that loss was to apply MORE brute force (and lets face it, he was going to win that match until the ref stopped him). This time he'll have to become more technically skilled perhaps. He's a quick learner though. So what's next? Roy Nelson? That would give him a chance to see if he can defend against someone with good BJJ while he works on getting ready for Cain once again.
Chris Fleming

Postby yusuf on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:31 am

I reckon he need sto work on is striking & kicking, and more importantly how to fight when he is on his back or being gnp'd by someone else.. and he needs to move to a gym where there are other fighters so he can experience some of that real hunger, not the WWE anger he seems to live on..
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 am

Right, Brock is 33. Given how hard he had worked on his conditioning all his life, unless he start taking HGH, his physical conditioning (main advantage over others) will only go down in the years to come. If that's the main thing he relies on for winning, his overall fighting ability can only go downward after he passes his peak in conditioning.

This fight reminded me of situation Tyson and Foreman found themselves in, very soon into the fight Brock realizes 1) he couldn't intimidate this opponent the way he used to, 2) raw power alone couldn't win the match, and 3) there is not going to be a quick victory. His mind just went blank, he didn't have a strategy, just reacting and hoping to catch the opponent with one big power move. And as time went on things only get more desperate...

With his talent/potential, Brock can be an even better fighter. But like you guys says he needs to start to focus on other aspects of fighting. His current way of training is not giving him the abilities needed to stay on top.

Dmitri your comment about losing his heart reminded me of what John McEnroe said about his strategy for winning: as soon as the match starts he would pour on with maximum aggression, building up a significant early lead. With even top athletes, he found, many of them are not that strong mentally. More than half of the time they either don't have the willpower to dig in and fight their way out, not matter how long it takes (at that point they're just basically waiting for him to put them out of their misery), or have the smarts to change and figure a way out of the current situation.
Last edited by Wuyizidi on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 am, edited 13 times in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic