Proposal for a new sub-forum

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Proposal for a new sub-forum

Postby chud on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 am

I wonder if the mods/admins would consider making a Politics and Religion subforum, under the Off The Topic forum, so that political threads and such can be posted there.
The description for Off The Topic is that it contains threads on "Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc.". There are many good threads here that have turned me on to great movies, tv shows, web sites, drinks, food and so on. But the political threads contribute little in my opinion, and probably deserve their own sub-forum, something similar to BTDT.
Thanks in advance for any consideration.
chud
Great Old One

Re: Proposal for a new sub-forum

Postby fuga on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:56 am

Or make it a subforum under BTDT. ;)

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby chud on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:58 am

That's a pretty good idea, actually.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:31 pm

yes, that would be awesome, then we could avoid that forum like the plague!

politics and religion = division

they are good topics to keep out of public forums by ruleset or enforced moderation.

nothing gets people pissed off more than these two divisive topics.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:51 pm

hm, that is an interesting idea... we will discuss. thanks for the suggestion. I think it makes sense for the most part. I think a BTDT subforum would make sense as well since most of the discussions pretty much end up being heated arguments. when they stay civil, they can be moved into OTT.
Last edited by nianfong on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby LDShouler on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Surely just because people contest other peoples ideas on religion or politics we don't need a sub-forum; look at all the arguments that descend into bickering on the main topics- I think it's the nature of the beast i.e. lots of folks with differing opinions.
It's always possible to ignore threads as well...
LDShouler
Anjing

Postby qiphlow on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:56 pm

i agree on the need for a "politics/religion" discussion area. let it be more loosely monitored, so that the participants in the discussions can really have at the insults without the mods locking down their fun.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:59 pm

I think it's a good idea because there are a lot of discussions about politics, and they take up space on the page that could be devoted to threads about hot chicks. Jus' sayin'....
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Bhassler wrote:I think it's a good idea because there are a lot of discussions about politics, and they take up space on the page that could be devoted to threads about hot chicks. Jus' sayin'....

right?
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:07 pm

I think uncivil people should be censored, never topics. I think those who insult others forum members should be banned if it happens more than once. Okay, I would appreciate if people kept their religious beliefs to themselves. And, I think that if thine eye offends thee, just turn off the set or stfu.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:49 pm

I think those who insult others forum members should be banned if it happens more than once.

I insult other forum members regularly.

Just sayin.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:21 pm

I hear ya, but if it were in my house, I'd ask you to leave or remove ya. I'm just a guest here; so, I got no control over what people say. If two guys were in my crib, and I didn't like their arguing, I'd tell 'em to go outside and settle it like ... I would say "men", but I mean "adults." Or else, I'll settle it for them as if they were kids. It only takes a couple to spoil it for everyone else. If people let that happen, that's their right. And, yeah, it's easy to quash any discussion by being deliberately inflammatory, then making it personal, then going off on the personal ad infinitum ... er, until the offending topic is dropped --the censorship intended in the first place. (I.e., it's the "I don't the point you're making; you doofis" statement that leads to the "You are an idiot anyway" response. It could be interesting, if it weren't so predictable).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:40 pm

We all just come here to hang out and relax...

What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Steve James wrote:I hear ya, but if it were in my house, I'd ask you to leave or remove ya. I'm just a guest here; so, I got no control over what people say. If two guys were in my crib, and I didn't like their arguing, I'd tell 'em to go outside and settle it like ... I would say "men", but I mean "adults." Or else, I'll settle it for them as if they were kids. It only takes a couple to spoil it for everyone else. If people let that happen, that's their right. And, yeah, it's easy to quash any discussion by being deliberately inflammatory, then making it personal, then going off on the personal ad infinitum ... er, until the offending topic is dropped --the censorship intended in the first place. (I.e., it's the "I don't the point you're making; you doofis" statement that leads to the "You are an idiot anyway" response. It could be interesting, if it weren't so predictable).

The important factor is whether there is meanness involved. You wouldn't have to ask me to leave or remove me. I just don't go where I can't say what I want.

Now meanness is something I can get behind being down on. Manners are distinctly subjective, but intent is at the base of whether a statement should be denigrated or not.
Last edited by shawnsegler on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:36 pm

Alls I was going by was the term "insult." To me, that can have nothing to do with intent; it's about the result, and how seriously the receiver takes it. Joking and kidding and just giving somebody the razz is not the same, imo, as making derogatory comments about someone's religious beliefs or their ethnicities or even their political perspectives. I think that's why the suggestion has been made that religion and politics should have their own subforum --where people can get on with the business of insulting them. Where I disagree is that somehow these topics make people disagreeable and insulting. That's like saying that the Devil makes them do it. Nah, people do it on their own. So, I don't agree that I can't discuss religion without being derogatory about it or them or to believers. That's projection. If "you" can't talk about a subject without getting into a fight, then "you" should avoid the subject and leave everybody else alone.

Otoh, I got nothing against insults and brawls. It'd be fine to have a flaming forum where people can get shit off their chests about religion, politics and so on without restrictions or considerations for feelings. It wouldn't interest me, personally. But, at least it would allow conversations about the same topics not to be ruined.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic