'the walking dead' is on TV right now....11pm friday

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

'the walking dead' is on TV right now....11pm friday

Postby StanTheMan on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:05 pm

for those that were looking for it.
StanTheMan
Anjing

Re: 'the walking dead' is on TV right now....11pm friday

Postby GrahamB on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:50 am

Yeah, watched it. Can't say it blew me away. Problem is it's nothing new - it's just British film/tv remade for Americans. The hospital scene/coma idea is a straight steal from 28 Days Later, while the 'got to find my son' quest is a straight steal from Survivors. Even the father/son team he meets is a straight steal from characters in Survivors.

I'll keep watching, but its 'been there done that' territory for UK viewers. Funny seeing Egg doing an American accent though ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 am

Er....the "idea" is not original to 28 days later either. 28 days stole it from a John Wyndham's Day Of The Triffids.

If you saw the Fox version, cant blame you. I saw it and i was pissed at the 10 minutes give or take of deleted scenes taken out for commercial space. The unedited version has a much better pace, and adds much more icing to the overall cake, and depth to the characters.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:25 am

Not really. Triffids involved a hospital but it was really about him being blind - hospital not part of the plot. 28 days was exactly the same. It was the accident/comma/days later/wake up alone/zombies! that was a bit too blatant for my liking. Wish they'd done something a bit different. Stuck/lost on a boat for 20 days would have been good. Something like that.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:30 am

cmon guys, its a zombie story, it was done many times before to death:)
the only original thing about 28 days later was zombies were quick:)

walking dead follows the comic book, so far quite closely - nothing special in my opinion, I had big expectations as its AMC; guys that did Rubicon, Breaking Bad and Mad Men.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:40 am

Also, lets not forget that the zombies in 28 day were actually....wait for it....not dead.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:39 am

Literally and figuratively "quick" [zombies] = the Crazies (before 28 Days).
The earliest film zombies were always under someone's control --as in the case of "real" zombies.
The "living dead" (iinm) were the first cannibalistic, leaderless zombies.
The "crazies" weren't dead, but they were the first (?) to be created by the military --which was closer to the traditional purpose of real zombies (as workers).
Since then, the living-walking "dead" created by mistake have become the new typical zombie... whether they have a taste for brains or not.
[edit] The obvious (missing) link: George A. Romero http://www.homepageofthedead.com/
Last edited by Steve James on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:57 am

GrahamB wrote:Yeah, watched it. Can't say it blew me away. Problem is it's nothing new - it's just British film/tv remade for Americans. The hospital scene/coma idea is a straight steal from 28 Days Later, while the 'got to find my son' quest is a straight steal from Survivors. Even the father/son team he meets is a straight steal from characters in Survivors.

I'll keep watching, but its 'been there done that' territory for UK viewers. Funny seeing Egg doing an American accent though ;D

You are aware that the TV show is based on a comic book written in 2003, and as mentioned it follows the comic quite closely.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:09 pm

D_Glenn wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Yeah, watched it. Can't say it blew me away. Problem is it's nothing new - it's just British film/tv remade for Americans. The hospital scene/coma idea is a straight steal from 28 Days Later, while the 'got to find my son' quest is a straight steal from Survivors. Even the father/son team he meets is a straight steal from characters in Survivors.

You are aware that the TV show is based on a comic book written in 2003, and as mentioned it follows the comic quite closely.

No, I'm not much of a comic reader.
But are you aware that 28 Days Later was made in 2002? And Survivors aired first in 1975. Just look it up.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:00 pm

GrahamB wrote:No, I'm not much of a comic reader.
But are you aware that 28 Days Later was made in 2002? And Survivors aired first in 1975. Just look it up.

Yes. That is known.

If it is indeed plagiarized then it's at the hand of the Comic book writer. Since it's following the comic there's no need for you to see how it pans out, just take a gander at the rest of the comic and you'll know if it's a copy or not.

Agreed though on the waking up in the hospital scene, it's been done - (Resident Evil as well), also not a fan of the comic but I'm actually liking the TV show so far.
One can never get too much Zombie action in this world.

The book "Day by day Armageddon" should be made into a TV show.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Just look it up.

YOU look it up.
NERD

anyway, anybody reading some good comics recently? Sun-Ken Rock is ok - yakuza violence mulitplied by 1000 plus weird sense of humour.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Imo, the US invented the zombie. The UK has produced the most enduring sci-fi. Europe, in general, originated the most memorable vampire and werewolf stuff.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:48 pm

GrahamB wrote:Not really. Triffids involved a hospital but it was really about him being blind - hospital not part of the plot. 28 days was exactly the same. It was the accident/comma/days later/wake up alone/zombies! that was a bit too blatant for my liking. Wish they'd done something a bit different. Stuck/lost on a boat for 20 days would have been good. Something like that.

Exactly the same because....in 28 days later the guy got shot in the line of duty, right? anyway...

Sooooo....going into a hospital when the world is fine, and waking up and coming out of the hospital when the world has got apeshit.....is NOT the same thing, as long as the symptoms that got you checked in are different???????????????

Graham, this is why i like you. ;D
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:58 pm

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:50 pm

Um, it should be pointed out that many writers of Zombie fiction intentionally rip off prior zombie works. It's part of the joke...
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic