Thinking out loud about forum reconstruction

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Thinking out loud about forum reconstruction

Postby qiphlow on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:26 pm

ok, i've changed to "no" on the politics/religion subforum.
i like the idea of a classifieds section, though i don't think it would get a ton of use.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 am

Personally I like the simplicity of this forum.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:00 am

politics and religion belong next to threads about ninjas and alcohol.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 am

I-mon wrote:politics and religion belong next to threads about ninjas and alcohol.

.. and breasts.. don't forget
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby jaskey on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:51 am

Chris Fleming wrote:Seriously though, the last time someone sought to change all sorts of things people had to leave because we wanted to have what we have here...

That and you can obviously see the subtitle--"INTERNAL MARTIAL ARTS FORUM". People already can talk about nearly any other style as it is. People post links and video clips regarding western swordsmanship, for instance. No need to make hundreds of sub categories to click on. Simple.

I was actually afraid of saying anything because we did have a bad experience in the past, but that was more political than forum layout problem.

And the problem is the many topics that gets posted. There is often a wave of certain posts which creates vacuum of other posts. (example: one western swordmanship post creates two other western swordsmanship posts and few other posts relating to western MA and history.) But that leaves a lot of hang time on other topics like techniques, training, and/or health. I was thinking by having separate sections that would allow for a constant wave of discussion on all of the topics.

I think if there was a way for all of these posts to be divided into these sections, but if there was also a way to view all of these section at once if the person wanted is the best way to go. So a person can just visit a training section or click on the larger section which these more specific section would be under to get a view of all the posts like we have right now.

Josealb wrote:No offense, of course. :)

None taken, of course. :)

Peacedog wrote:I don't think we need to add anything other than a classifieds section for martial arts and conditioning related stuff. That way the next time someone moves and needs to get ride of a wooden dummy or something else they don't need someone here can get a sweet deal rather than the jerks at ebay.

Actually this one I'm afraid of and will quickly say no.

I don't think we should do anything of the like, because this will attract the business guys like moth to a flame. One of the reason why this site works so well is that nobody is pushing any business into this forum unless really really asked for. If the zombies of certain very ego driven teachers bothers you now, think how much worse it would be dealing with money driven business people. I shudder to think. (not claiming anyone here is business driven ppl. I think if it's just us it'll be fine. But I can see those people joining and trolling everywhere.)

Peacedog wrote:Okay, I'm on the new sections bandwagon now.

Add a new section just for websites/links to members stuff.

that would be cool.

Dmitri wrote:So, you walk into a bar, and you'd like to see a "Welcome" sign in the front, and separate sections for light beers, dark ones, rums, vodkas, liqueurs, etc., and a few separate areas for nice customers who behave themselves, who don't, who (don't) leave good tips, who (don't) start fights all the time, who (don't) get really very drunk, etc., etc., etc.? :)

No I just want hippies to the one side and bikers at the other with the hipsters out of the bar. ^^

Dmitri wrote:
it doesn't leave much room for non-IMAists

...and what, a special little section for non-alcoholic sparkling beverages with organic vegan snacks? ;D :P

Isn't that the other way around? ;D GO WHEY!!!

yusuf wrote:
I-mon wrote:politics and religion belong next to threads about ninjas and alcohol.

.. and breasts.. don't forget

Politics and religion should be dumped at BTDT(aka garbage section). Ninjas should go join religion. alcohol should go to fight news and events. and finally Breasts are the only topic worthy of it's own section. :)
jaskey
Mingjing

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:54 am

^^ Didn't they make a movie about a well-endowed female ninja, who was a poor drunk at first, but then discovered Christianity and became a senator?
That would definitely be worth creating a new sub-forum to discuss it.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:57 am

I think that the forum is fine as it is. But if it ever moves to Drupal, a wiki would be a wicked addition: it will allow us to define terms, techniques and drills and link to these in the discussions helping them become less clustered, more clear and easier to write.

BTW, I will install a wiki at home just to write my own class notes. I've come to teh conclusion that it is the best existent format for taking MA notes over a long period of time.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:56 pm

I think there should be a sub-forum dedicated specifically to this discussion.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 pm

And then a sub forum for that for when things get too heated.
Chris Fleming

Postby nianfong on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:23 pm

I definitely don't see a need to divide the main forum.

the politics/religion subdivision makes sense to some degree because of all the bile involved with those discussions. might be better to keep that where all the other bile is--BTDT.

A website/links section might be nice for members to post their blogs/etc.

A classified section... is a can of worms. With ads and sales transactions comes a certain degree of liability. Do bullshido or KFO have a classified section?
nianfong
Administrator

Postby ashe on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:18 pm

i don't think we really need a classified section either. active forum members could already list their $h!t for sale in OTT...
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:45 pm

what was that? more hot chicks?
ok...

esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby jaskey on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12 pm

qiphlow wrote:what was that? more hot chicks?
ok...

We need a section full of these. ;D
jaskey
Mingjing

Postby ashe on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:51 pm

jaskey wrote:We need a section full of these. ;D

it's called 'test no topic'... ;)
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:08 pm

let it be what it is.
there is space for about any topic as it is. if it is divided into more smaller parts lots of discussion could be missed.
anyways ... enjoy.
bruce
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic