U2 Spy Plane (Top Gear)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

U2 Spy Plane (Top Gear)

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:18 am

Ian

Re: U2 Spy Plane (Top Gear)

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:58 am

Wow, what a view at 70,000! I agree with his conclusions, too.
I just had to add this, though. The guy who parachuted from 102,000.
Last edited by Steve James on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:05 am

Dammit Ian, you're awaking that old wish that I've successfully put to sleep over the years, of one day being able to get up there and take a look around... :'(

Very cool stuff. One of the examples of the original meaning of the word "awesome".

"If everybody could do that once, it would completely change the face of global politics, religion, education... everything." 8-)

Who knows, maybe our kids will get to see it in their lifetime. Here's to that hope.
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:35 am

what bothers me is that these guys get paid (??) to do this (???!!!)

fml :D
Ian

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:47 am

Yeah, they get paid ... which is amazing for some people who'd do it for free, or even pay if they could. Otoh, there are probably a lot of people who wouldn't do it for any price. Personally, I do into space in a minute, but have no desire to climb Everest. I've thought about paying for a ride on a "vomit comet", but have so far found that seeing 5K in the bank was safer than zeroG http://www.gozerog.com/index.cfm?fuseac ... ns.welcome
But, if I had "real" money (200K), I'd book with Virgin Galactic right now http://www.virgingalactic.com/
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 am

Dmitri wrote:"If everybody could do that once, it would completely change the face of global politics, religion, education... everything." 8-)

Who knows, maybe our kids will get to see it in their lifetime. Here's to that hope.

That's underestimating the Dark Side of human nature. It may stregthen some people's good resolves, but I don't that it will make a difference overall.

I am sure that if we had the power, we would fuck up the whole galaxy or worse.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:42 am

Yeah I know Teo... It's just that I think that's the most important part of the video. Of course it's only "one man's opinion", only some words of a guy walking out of the plane right after the flight. But it shows the incredible strength of the impression that experience made on him, and it is likely that the vast majority of other people in his place would experience it just as strongly.
I don't think it would "change the world"; I don't take what he's saying literally. But I think it would a very good thing to experience for people -- like watching "nature documentaries", etc. IMHO these sort of things are important because they do affect people in a very positive way, no matter who they are (subtly and to varying degrees of course -- but still...)
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:15 am

I do think that seeing Earth from space, is a powerful experience that can change many people, myself included. But you have to be already predisposed toward accepting change. Sorry to have played the pessimist on this thread! :)
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:19 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:you have to be already predisposed toward accepting change

I agree 100%, in fact I almost wrote that very sentence in my last reply, using almost exactly the same words... :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Great minds think alike. :)
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Darthwing Teorist wrote:Great minds think alike. :)

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:19 pm

He said "great minds" Bill, not "great looks".
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:57 am

eyes are mirror of the soul :)
Last edited by wiesiek on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic