Are there any women on this forum?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Are there any women on this forum?

Postby Interloper on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:70 is the new 40!

are you hot? I'll PM you a pic of my package! :D

If you count hot flashes, I guess I could be considered "hot." ;D
We post-50 females tend to fall waaaay off the radar for cruisin' dudes. Even the ones who like "cougars."

Jaikali,
Women fight plenty, but generally, not as much as men -- at least not before Title IX. ;)
Last edited by Interloper on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Interloper wrote:

We post-50 females tend to fall waaaay off the radar for cruisin' dudes. Even the ones who like "cougars."

Ah. So now you can finally understand 'loss of Jing' and the need to conserve it. You're already feeling it because after menopause women begin to lose Jing in the same manner as men and it's causing a loss of vital fluids and Yin deficiency as your Yin is now unable to constrain or keep down your Yang Fire from rising up causing the heat flashes.

Which can also happen in young men who have too much of the ole' in out, in out.

;) enjoy

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:The amount of women practicing martial arts directly correlates to the amount of men participating in quilting bees.

Yeah, so man-up, ya pansies, and get to quilting! It's a new logo: "Get more hot chicks-- quilt one for the team!"
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:13 pm

D_Glenn wrote:
Interloper wrote:

Ah. So now you can finally understand 'loss of Jing' and the need to conserve it. You're already feeling it because after menopause women begin to lose Jing in the same manner as men and it's causing a loss of vital fluids and Yin deficiency as your Yin is now unable to constrain or keep down your Yang Fire from rising up causing the heat flashes.

Which can also happen in young men who have too much of the ole' in out, in out.

;) enjoy.

::)

It don't mean a thing, if we ain't got that jing, eh?
Actually, I was taking comic license. I actually had very few flashes, and even those were quite mild to the point that I had to decide whether they actually were hot flashes, or if it was the curry.

I don't buy into the "losing jing" thang, but even if I did, since women tend to outlive men, if we're are "losing jing," it's gotta be far less than our male counterparts' loss. ;)
Last edited by Interloper on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Interloper wrote:... since women tend to outlive men, if we're are "losing jing," it's gotta be far less than our male counterparts' loss. ;)

Precisely, because you're only capable of losing a significant amount of Jing for only a short portion of your life from age 54 and up, from age 14 to 54 it's only being lost once a month. Men on the other hand lose it anytime they want from age 16 on. Live fast, die young.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby BaguaKicksAss on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:57 pm

LOL love the replies ;).

So why are there only 10% men in the Taichi and Bagua forms classes? A friend of mine said he wanted to meet women, I told him to take Taichi. OK maybe that was bad, but I also think everyone should take martial arts.

I think I lose jing any moment I'm not doing martial arts/qigong, and I'm only 40. I think I now fear menopause, thanks!

I noticed that many women won't join martial arts classes or gyms even unless there are at least some other women. I got over that in my 20s when I found out the women only gums charged double. Good plan of the teacher to have women around to get new people to train.

From what I have seen boys, then men sort of grow up fighting while girls/women not as much. Most of us just aren't used to it, or not as often or as intensely. Most of the women I know have never been in a fight, or even play fight or even sparring, ever in their entire lives.

BKA
BaguaKicksAss
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:21 pm

Chris Fleming

Postby Interloper on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:32 pm

::) @ Chris.

BKA,
I agree, girls/women just don't have the same bio-sociological agenda that boys/men do. Fighting serves a different purpose for females than for males. Male mammals fight more frequently for territorial purposes (e.g. "pack hierarchy," access to females and the resources with which to lure them). This is more of a ritual combat. Female mammals rarely fight for ritual purposes; instead, it's usually for self-survival and to protect their young. Occasionally, women in the "lower eschelons" of life will claw each other over a man, but it usually involves a lot of alcohol. ;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:47 pm

woman can also enjoy having men fight over them and manipulating them to that end.

at least that's what every movie I've ever seen has shown me.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Flex on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:14 am

Interloper wrote:::) @ Chris.

BKA,
I agree, girls/women just don't have the same bio-sociological agenda that boys/men do. Fighting serves a different purpose for females than for males. Male mammals fight more frequently for territorial purposes (e.g. "pack hierarchy," access to females and the resources with which to lure them). This is more of a ritual combat. Female mammals rarely fight for ritual purposes; instead, it's usually for self-survival and to protect their young. Occasionally, women in the "lower eschelons" of life will claw each other over a man, but it usually involves a lot of alcohol. ;)

which is why my gf would rather learn yoga than take up xingyi, even when she's had plenty of unwanted attention and stalkers in the past. guess having me with one-hit-kill technology is sufficient.
Flex
Anjing

Postby jaikali on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:57 pm

Interloper wrote:
Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
Jaikali,
Women fight plenty, but generally, not as much as men -- at least not before Title IX. ;)

I appreciate the insight. However I'm not really commenting on percentages.

...I'm not talking about "women". I'm talking about a very specific type of women, who step up to the plate when they find themselves in very specific circumstances, who have trained rigorously, and continue to train, to do so. And it is very much not sport, so Title IX does not apply. It's too bad in some instances, since these females need to be more brutal due to the attitude that they're not really serious, not really ready to defend themselves and their people.
jaikali
Santi

Postby BaguaKicksAss on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:49 am

The funny thing is that I've always been the one to defend my friends, usually guys. Stereotypically it's the guy who would fight when there is a problem, but some people whether male or female just don't have it in them or get intimidated easily. So I'm usually the one to scare off the person who is trying to threaten us for money, or who is threatening to beat up my friend. Fortunately for me none of them knew martial arts though because I sure the hell didn't.

Yoga = torture ;).

BKA
BaguaKicksAss
Wuji

Postby jaikali on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:36 am

^Nice :)
jaikali
Santi

Postby Flex on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:51 am

BaguaKicksAss wrote:The funny thing is that I've always been the one to defend my friends, usually guys. Stereotypically it's the guy who would fight when there is a problem, but some people whether male or female just don't have it in them or get intimidated easily. So I'm usually the one to scare off the person who is trying to threaten us for money, or who is threatening to beat up my friend. Fortunately for me none of them knew martial arts though because I sure the hell didn't.

Yoga = torture ;).

BKA

heh you live in a tough neighbourhood. then again recently in my area there has been lots of teenage girl-vs-girl stabbing incidents. knives are all the rage these days. full respect to anyone who puts in the effort to train hard and learn something that occasionally makes them wear pajamas in front of a live audience.
Last edited by Flex on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flex
Anjing

Postby jaikali on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Quoting Flex:
"heh you live in a tough neighbourhood. then again recently in my area there has been lots of teenage girl-vs-girl stabbing incidents. knives are all the rage these days. full respect to anyone who puts in the effort to train hard and learn something that occasionally makes them wear pajamas in front of a live audience."

Sigh. Usually I wouldn't answer such baiting/ignorance. Yet it's a discussion about martial artists who happen to be women, a specific discussion that kinda rarely comes up, so...

Really?!? You say that there have been STABBINGS, have you ever really been in a knife fight, do you understand how serious/frightening that is to deal with, no matter what your length/depth of practice/experience? Yet you say the reason we train is to perform demo's in pajamas?

Sorry I don't do demos. I practice the art for the real situations that exist. I don't do it for performance.

We don't do sport or exhibition. Not to downplay those who do, since tournaments sound cool... but let's not get confused. In so many places in the world it is ridiculous how much you need to be in combat mode (including the U.S. If you don't realize that then you are lucky/ignorant). Or you have set your home life up in such a way that it wards this off... that takes effort, and those who achieve it have my ongoing respect and support.
jaikali
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic