the seeing eye

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

the seeing eye

Postby Strange on Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:09 pm

just to share something interesting i heard from a kalaripayyat docu on tv last night:

"Kalari masters believe that supreme skills does not manifest itself until the whole body becomes the eye."

which reminds me what a yang style taiji master told me:

" you practice till your waist have eyes, one on each side, after that you dun need your eyes to see (your opponent) anymore "

:)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: the seeing eye

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:17 am

Yes, proprioception is one of the most fundamental skills/concepts in any martial art.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:36 am

heh i should think so.
i'm still stuck at clearing crap from my brains and getting it to think straight; maybe then my hands and legs will listen to command better :). like pac man and boxing, some analyse the height, arm length, weight and say how he's just fast; but they dun know the man understands fighting better than his opponents does; which was fundamentally how he won.

Shit In Yo Brains? Use Laxative!
You Know It Can Be A Danger To Others and To Self!
Last edited by Strange on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby affa on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:42 pm

16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby Strange on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:58 pm

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Okay, anybody got any good, specific exercises to improve proprioception?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby affa on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:54 pm

run through the woods at night.
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:52 am

From the top of my head:

Improving awareness of spatial location of the body:
- Slow rotations or figure 8 movement of the limbs.
- Slow rotations of figure 8 movement of the pelvis and/or spine. Can do different spine sections such as the belly, the solar plexus, the sternum and the neck.
- Slow tracing: following the shape of the body close but without touching with the hand. Can also be done with a weapon in the hand, in which case care should be taken to consider the characteristics of the weapon and not place it dangerous positions for the self. For example, never point a knife toward self or make sure that you avoid placing body parts in the line of fire if playing with a firearm.
- Static or slow movement drills such as forms such as Siu Nim Tao from Wing Chun. I am familiar with WC but I would guess that any slow form or ZZ has the same benefit.
- Taking mental snapshots of a technique: stopping during certain phases of a technique to allow the brain to take mental snapshots of the body position.

Improving reactions based on proprioception, responding to an external stimulus:
- Push hands or sticky hands/sticky legs.
- Wrestling, especially when done slowly and in an exploratory manner (eliminating or not concentrating on finishes but more on movement and positions)
- Reacting slowly to a push or pull on the body, such a simulations of a strike, a weapon stab or slash or a lock. For example studying the most efficient way to evade a punch from contact (start with touch and then pushes before light impact). Can be done with or without the eyes closed.
- Stopping and taking mental snapshots of certain positions when practicing a technique with a partner.

There are many other ways, but these are the ones that came to mind right away.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic