Aung San Suu Kyi...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Aung San Suu Kyi...

Postby chud on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:01 pm

...has finally been freed from house arrest apparently.

Thanks Strange for bringing this up (in TNT); it deserves its own thread though so I decided to start one.

It's a shame this has received almost no coverage in American media, but here you go:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20101113/twl-aung-san-suu-kyi-freed-from-house-ar-3fd0ae9.html

I first learned of Aung San Suu Kyi - and Burma's - plight, in a documentary I watched late one night called Burma VJ. The first couple of minutes of that documentary, where a single peaceful protester is quietly snatched off the street and hustled into a waiting car, was powerful, and very disturbing, to me.
The film, which was filmed entirely by Burmese amateur reporters with video cameras, goes on to explain how Aung San Suu Kyi has been under house arrest for many years, ever since speaking out against the military government and then winning an election.

For those on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/aungsansuukyi
chud
Great Old One

Re: Aung San Suu Kyi...

Postby Strange on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:14 pm

why, thanks chud, mighty gracious of you.
if i had to face down generals and a whole army, i'd seriously piss my pants
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby chud on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Indeed, she is a brave woman.
chud
Great Old One

Postby jaikali on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:31 am

Thank you for posting this.

Many of us have been holding her in our thoughts and prayers for quite a few years. It's not all that easy for me to find the words... I'm glad she again has the right to be among the people. See her sons. Even travel outside the country- and be allowed to return. Much less her political party have a right to exist. What can happen beyond that... well... let be done what can be done.

I'm glad she is again able to move freely (?still hoping that is really the case...) after house arrest for 15 of the previous 21 years. What happens next, many of us are, i think understandably, a bit apprehensive.

...cautiously optimistic though!!
jaikali
Santi

Postby jaikali on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:53 am

...also, in her years of house arrest, she had only a radio... she had adequate food rations and other essentials, but lacked living contacts... she expressed being happy to hear "live human voices, not on the radio"... however it seems that she was comfortable with what we call meditation, contemplation and practice... to be with yourself, only with your self, for an extended amount of time...
jaikali
Santi

Postby chud on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:31 pm

jaikali wrote:... however it seems that she was comfortable with what we call meditation, contemplation and practice... to be with yourself, only with your self, for an extended amount of time...

Not many people could do that without going crazy.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:13 pm

but i think it is really a mistake for her to go to court and charge the military government for election fraud right after her release. this does her case no favours and make her followers worry for her.

she has been away for a long while, i think she should have met with the political players/various ambassadors and sort out who are her allies first before doing anything.

at the rate she is going, it will further convince the military government that she is not someone that they can talk and do business with. i think all fear that the generals will again resort to fabricated charges to keep her under house arrest
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:37 pm

thanks strange, for bringing the subject up.

and thanks, chud, for following it up.

i had not known about her, or her efforts.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic