Video editing software recommendation

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Video editing software recommendation

Postby .Q. on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:57 am

Anyone can recommend some easy to use video editing software that's free, on Windows and has the following features? I'm trying to make some tutorial screencasts
1) Able to add subtitles to a video
2) Block out certain portions of the screen at specific times (for editing out proprietary info)

Thanks.
.Q.
Wuji

Re: Video editing software recommendation

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:03 am

My gf used the Windows Movie Maker software that comes with Vista Ultimate Edition to edit videos and add subtitles. I don't know about blocking out portions of the screen but I guess that it may do that.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 pm

yep you can use movie maker in windows live for that. It's free. from xp to win 7 this product is included or can be dowloaded for free from MS.

all the things you want to do, can be done with movie maker.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:53 pm

I'd be keeping my eye out for when lightworks goes open source (shouldnt be long now[edit - release date is nov 29]):

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/11/11 ... to-be-rel/
Last edited by Craig on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Darthwing Teorist wrote:My gf used the Windows Movie Maker software that comes with Vista Ultimate Edition to edit videos and add subtitles. I don't know about blocking out portions of the screen but I guess that it may do that.

Thanks for the suggestions, but unless the Vista version is different from XP, then I don't think it has a subtitle feature (I need subtitle overlayed over the video, not over a blue screen).
.Q.
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:56 pm

Craig wrote:I'd be keeping my eye out for when lightworks goes open source (shouldnt be long now[edit - release date is nov 29]):

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/11/11 ... to-be-rel/

Wow, looks good. Thanks for the suggestions. Have to wait a couple weeks to try it out I guess.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:02 pm

AVID is what the pros use. I used to use it for all of my video productions when it was part of my job to produce promotional vids. There's a wide range of graphic functions. Downside, is that there is a lot to learn before you can really use it.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Interloper wrote:AVID is what the pros use. I used to use it for all of my video productions when it was part of my job to produce promotional vids. There's a wide range of graphic functions. Downside, is that there is a lot to learn before you can really use it.

I have a budget of exactly $0 and using my own time to learn, so unfortunately no dice. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
.Q.
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic