Do You British Really Care?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Do You British Really Care?

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Anyway, yeah, asides from being queen, shes' a pretty normal woman who actually lives in fairly normal apartments attached to the tourist attractions that are otherwise her homes.

Well, I don't know whether the current monarch has a stool groom, but I'd still say she seems like a nice enough person to me. She's no more representative of British character than ... Margaret Thatcher or Diana :)
[Edit] I.e., her character says little about her subjects ;)
Last edited by Steve James on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm

esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby LDShouler on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 pm

If the queen eats toast and marmalade accompanied by tea for breakfast, then I'm more similar to her than I expected! I do wonder however, that given her reputation for stoicism and 'keeping up appearances', how anyone can talk of the more subtle aspects of her personality with full knowledge: until the last couple of decades the Royals had successfully maintained a lot of propaganda through the media (and she is definitely a product of this era). Elizabeth II is virtually unknowable for most people- all we can go on is how she officially acts and the various soundbites from folks who have a more than a slight interest in being sycophantic towards her.
Andy S: I fear nostalgia and nationalism; I don't really believe that the queen represents a threat to democracy today, but I do fear the arrogance, self-important attitude and inequality that she represents. Britain is not so free of class divisions as we might hope (not to say that other countries don't have similar or other divisions)
LDShouler
Anjing

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Last edited by Mr_Wood on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic