Do You British Really Care?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Do You British Really Care?

Postby AllanF on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:48 pm

We British don't care about anything much! A nation that champions ambivalence! Of course if i lived in the UK i'd care about the day off! :)
AllanF

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:22 pm

IME Americans are way more impressed by royalty (esp. princes and princesses) than the Brits.
Ian

Postby rob2 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:28 am

-
Last edited by rob2 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob2
Anjing

Postby Steve Rowe on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:40 am

At least when they put Kate Middleton on the stamps we can lick the front as well as the back.... and it's nice to know that she's had her finger in Diana's ring...
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:01 am

Wedding? What wedding?
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Adam S on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:16 am

Steve Rowe wrote:At least when they put Kate Middleton on the stamps we can lick the front as well as the back.... and it's nice to know that she's had her finger in Diana's ring...

You sir are a genius!!!!! :D
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby KEND on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:23 am

I have spent half my life in England and half in the USA. I think that a little perspective is required. The Magna Carta is often quoted as being meaningful but in fact was the barons flexing their muscles. I was brought up in WW2 when the country could have gone under, in those days the royals were symbolic and held the country and 'empire' together. Even in those days I was never a royalist. My grandmother was a royalist and we had the queens speech on the radio on xmas, it bored me out of my mind[my mothers family goes back to the 12th century]. The royals perpetuated the class system which made the working class out to be mere peons, touching their caps to their upper class masters. Fortunately legislation in 1945 made it possible for working class kids to get scholarships to grammar schools and university[at that time , apart from the oxford-cambridge boat race nobody knew what university was]Over the years the oppressive nature of the class system has diminished, but there are still vestiges remaining and these can be traced back to the royals. Years ago their lives were secret, a 'D' notice prevented newspapers from reporting, nowadays if the go to the toilet it appears in the tabloids. The royals are disfunctional and anachronistic, they have become a tourist attraction and should be treated as such, give them a house rather than a castle, keep up the openings etc but cut off the hangers on, the ladies in waiting, the castles,etc
As for the wedding who really cares except the gentry in the shires and hysterical middle aged women. As for the colonials, its better viewed from afar.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:40 am

Royals are a bit more than simply a tourist attraction, they are a key part of the UK national brand.
They are assets for:
Tourism - Which is very, very important; tourism is the world's biggest industry (biger than finance, defence, energy...) Take away their castles, ladies in waiting, etc and you take away the institutions. Who heard of a king without a palace?
Media - Local AND foreign - which contrbutes to interest in the nation;
Trade - Plenty of countries (esp in the Arab world) appreciate a visit from Royalty (Duke of York holds the Invest UK job at persent I believe)
Diplomacy - Ditto trade, above. Plenty of countries' leaders bask in a visit to the palace
Differentiation - Most countries today do not have Royal Families, but given the attention they pay to ours, perhaps they wish they did. Oddly the French - who chopped off their royal's heads - and the Americans - who gave us the boot - seem the most fascinated.

Given all the above, the Royal Family are excellent value for taxpayers' money, far outweighing their security costs. (FYI, having covered both Royal, presidential and prime ministerial visits, I can assure you that the security aruond the fomer is almost invisible, which was not the case for John Prescott's security, whose only role seemed to be to keep the media at bay.) I'd be interested to see any costing done of the brand value of royalty, trouble is, few people beyond Forbes, Businessweek and Fortune understand brand value, they only get tangible assets.

(I would add that I think Charles has some excellent ideas on muliculturalism, rural areas and architecture.) So count me as apparently the lone English Royalist on RSF.

But could I give a toss about the wedding? No, though I will probably watch edited highlights.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:33 am

You're not alone Andy_s *pats him opn the back and hands him a scone* ;D

I mean, yeah, with the english part, but still, I like my Queen and I see the value they bring to the Isles.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:45 am

I think most UK people respect the Queen, personally as far the wedding goes it barely registers on my radar.
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby affa on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:03 pm

16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby lazyboxer on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:17 pm

I was thoroughly annoyed at the press coverage given to the recent mid-term elections. Since the announcement there was nothing on either the local or national news but the friggin' election campaign. Do you American forum members care as much about it as we apparently do in the UK? IMHO the U.S. president is an anachronism, an embarrassment, and a parasite on the American taxpayers. Why do you still put up with him?
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:47 am

I still say DETHRONE ROYALTY!

Time to buy a t-shirt. ;)

http://www.carnaldammage.com/Dethrone_s ... bAodnRLXYA
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:57 am

lazyboxer wrote:I was thoroughly annoyed at the press coverage given to the recent mid-term elections. Since the announcement there was nothing on either the local or national news but the friggin' election campaign. Do you American forum members care as much about it as we apparently do in the UK? IMHO the U.S. president is an anachronism, an embarrassment, and a parasite on the American taxpayers. Why do you still put up with him?

Well, I think there is a difference. The mid-term elections spell a different direction for day to day legislation in the US, i.e., the congress is a living, real time entity. The Royals are not.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:15 am

RobP2 wrote:I think most UK people respect the Queen, personally as far the wedding goes it barely registers on my radar.

i don;t know if there are any public figures who we respect... do we have any who have done something worthwhile, apart from David Attenborough
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic