SLC PUNK

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

SLC PUNK

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:28 pm

If any of you guys have seen the movie, that was my scene when I was in my teens early 20's. SLC is a really small place and I knew most of the people portrayed in the movie (which was mostly not real).

Anyhoo, point being is SLC did indeed have a vibrant underground music scene in the 80's. It was really hardcore. Since it's a state capital in the middle of nowhere between 2 coasts we got all kinds of great shows in clubs that would have been in stadiums elsewhere, and the local bands were top notch. I always had roommates in bands and worked as a roady fer em and everyone went and checked everyone else out.

So, anyway last August all the peeps from that scene threw a huge 3 day party over labor day and a bunch of those old 80's punk bands got together for a fun middle aged gig. I was slated to go, but economics got in the way of it. Lots of my friends did though and some of them put up vids of the show. So, I thought I'd put up a link for anyone who'd like to see back in time to a pretty cool music scene.

Anything labeled ZION family reunion is more of the same. Lots of bands listed. The Potato Heads, Massacre Guys, Boxcar Kids etc....

Enjoy.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: SLC PUNK

Postby shock and awe on Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:47 pm

were the confused political beliefs in the movie accurate to you slc kids?
shock and awe

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Haven't seen the movie since it came out, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Could you give me some specifics?

I do know that the at the time the scene in SLC was pretty fucked up. I think right around then it was some thing like 75 percent LDS 25 percent "Gentile", and everyhere else in Utah was like 99 percent LDS.

I was 12 year old pot smoking hippy kid from Humboldt county California when I moved there in 1980 so I may project a little, but it was pretty fucking repressive, although they don't do it much, when the Church wants exercise it's power IN ZION where they've been in charge since the 1800's they do it. It's weird if you've never lived under a theocracy..I mean really weird.

The point I'm trying to make is really repressive societies generally breed good art of one form or another and also a lot of angst, and rage. Just look at how out of control things got in Footloose. :)

Your vote means pretty much nothing since the LDS pretty much vote as a unified block. It's gone repuclican for the last 150 years or so.

If you want to read something creepily prophetic and accurate check out his series with Sytemic Shock and Single Combat. They were written in 1980 I think? Anyway, in "the future" like late 1990's early 2000's world war 3 ends up being us and someone else trading a single nuke and that' ok.....until some muslim countries and china (creepy) end up laying serious biologicals on the US and the govt falls apt. Who has a functioning govt that is completely separate from the US govt inside the US and makes as part of it's ideology the hoarding of food??? ANyhoo, the mormons take over with a pretty much..."if you convert, we'll give you food and safety" platform. It's a good read.

I really wish I still had this copy of "The Nose" (a magazine like Spy in the 80's) and a piece the did called Mormogeddon. It was really cool.

Best,

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:41 pm

I've known a few vegan straight edge kids from SLC. They both love that place and hate it. Those kids are pretty hardcore. Fighting all the time, or when they were younger anyways, etc.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Fighting is what we did/do in SLC. There hasn't been "as much" gun play there compared to other places, but when I was younger and well into my 20's that was how things were settled. I remember getting into fights with Rednecks, Rockers, Punkers...lots of brawling with the Tongan kids when in highschool. The Mormon church recruits heavily in the islands, so there's lots of Tongans, Samoans, etc. Big Kids. My Highschool had a world class rugby team based on that.

I've got most of my fight stories from when I lived there.

Funniest line ever at this pizza place I worked for by the U of U...big college hangout. This was like 89'. These guys from the east coast get are getting drunk and belligerant as the night goes by...dude threatens to go get his gone yapping "I'm from Jersey, I'm from Jersey." 20 something kid in a cowboy hat walks up, puts down his hat and drawls "I'm from Layton", and proceeds to feed the loudmouth jadrool his own ass.

Best,

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby chud on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 pm

shawnsegler wrote:
I do know that the at the time the scene in SLC was pretty fucked up. I think right around then it was some thing like 75 percent LDS 25 percent "Gentile", and everyhere else in Utah was like 99 percent LDS.

I was 12 year old pot smoking hippy kid from Humboldt county California when I moved there in 1980 so I may project a little, but it was pretty fucking repressive, although they don't do it much, when the Church wants exercise it's power IN ZION where they've been in charge since the 1800's they do it. It's weird if you've never lived under a theocracy..I mean really weird.

When i visited there (for work) I thought it was a beautiful place, but a little strange like you said Shawn. It's kinda weird to be in a large city (a capital) with no major chain restaurants (because of it being "dry" - no liquor). I grew up in a small Texas town that was predominantly Baptist and was in a dry county, but it's strange to see that in a large city, especially a state capital.
And that word "Zion" is everywhere: Zion Bank, Zion this, Zion that. It's all over, constantly reminding you.
chud
Great Old One

Postby chud on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Last edited by chud on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby affa on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:23 am

shawnsegler wrote:the LDS pretty much vote as a unified block.

tribalism.
cultivate it.
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:33 am

shawnsegler wrote:I always had roommates in bands and worked as a roady fer em and everyone went and checked everyone else out.

I had to look that one up on urbandictionary.com:
roady
a term used for a girl who gives her boyfriend road head whether the car is parked or still in motion.
What a roady
hoe girl tramp suck head
by yknarf4 Aug 12, 2010 share this
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby affa on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:58 am

isn't bruce a roadie, too?

-lol-
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:42 am

affa wrote:isn't bruce a roadie, too?

-lol-

Yes, but that's something entirely different:

roadie

An individual who is responsible for setting up, tearing down, and generally maintaining the equipment for a band.

Hey roadie, I need a new pic for my guitar.
by Ryan May 8, 2003 share this
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby shock and awe on Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:35 am

the main dudes in the movie have some strange anarchism chaos views that are not so typical of 80s punk
Last edited by shock and awe on Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
shock and awe

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 am

Yeah, after watching it again...a lot of the movie is bullshit.

It's true that presidents circle at the U of U is a great place to lie down when you're frying though. :)

Best,

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:54 am

zenshiite wrote:I've known a few vegan straight edge kids from SLC. They both love that place and hate it. Those kids are pretty hardcore. Fighting all the time, or when they were younger anyways, etc.

Oh yeah, that brings up a memory, ZS. So, Utah being sort of backward like it was (is) when I was in my early twenties I worked at one of the first Thai places in SLC. The owner was a white guy named Dennis, but he went and got the best thai and lao chefs available and then proceeded to market like a madman. We sold Pad Thai's for 13.00 bucks apiece.

But, the reason I brought it up was that he also made money hand over fist by being one of the first places to have a "meatless moday" where there was a discount on all his vegi and vegan business.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby affa on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:01 pm

cdobe wrote:Yes, but that's something entirely different

yeah... that's why it's funny
:D