Play kabaddi and live longer, India coach says

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Play kabaddi and live longer, India coach says

Postby klonk on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 pm

I've never even heard of this. It is apparently a game, with martial overtones.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101125/od ... 1125220444

GUANGZHOU, China (AFP) – Balwan Singh says he knows the secret to good health, long life and happiness -- take up the obscure and little-understood sport of kabaddi.
"Look at me, I'm 50 years old and I can hold my breath for three minutes," said the sprightly Singh, India's coach.
"You can live for 100 years playing kabaddi!" he added. [...]

Whut? Anyone care to fill me in?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Play kabaddi and live longer, India coach says

Postby Teazer on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:22 pm

It used to be on British TV all the time - from memory, two teams of something like 5 or 6 people on a hard ground area about the size of a tennis court divided into two halves. Each team takes it in turns to send a player over to the other side to tag one or more of the opposition and get back to his own side. If successful the tagged players are out. If the other team can grab the player and stop him getting back to his side then he's out. The name comes from (at least in some rules) the player saying "kabaddi, kabaddi, kabaddi..." when in the opposition's area. This created a time limit since it limited how much they could breathe in.
Anyways, great game - seemed like surprisingly few injuries involved for the type of sport. I think many of the youtube clips have a somewhat different rule set, but that's what I remember.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:56 pm

red rover delhi style?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:27 am

Used to play kabbadi as a kid! Fun and assists with cardiovascular control and conditioning based on how far the 'safe' area is between teams.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic