The Rough Diamond

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Rough Diamond

Postby Mr_Wood on Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Hopefully a better movie than the shower of shite 'Strength and honour' depicting the bare knuckle boxing of the travellers fraternity

The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Re: The Rough Diamond

Postby Mr_Wood on Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:55 pm

http://www.paddy-monaghan.co.uk/

Just been chatting to him, a very nice guy and has trained a lot with Samuel Kwok. Told me he retired because his hands were giving him problems and is now due to have several operations to get them fixed.
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:50 am

Woa....a bare knuckle irish boxer, who looked at wing chun for some inspiration....that went 114-0-0???

How the hell did i miss this?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:36 am

Yeah thats what i thought but you dont often here about the prize fighters as they usually only fought because they had no money so they weren't really doing it for status, just to get some money.

Some more info - http://www.irishboxers.ie/boxer_of_the_past.html#Middleweight

If you go around the boxing gyms in UK you sometimes find these old timers who have very interesting stories of their prize fighting days, not quite to the standard of Paddy Monaghan but all interesting stuff. One guy would tell me of how they would be taken to fight in stately mansions in the country side to provide entertainment for the rich folk and then travelling to Harlem to get cash as a sparring partner for pro boxers and prize fighting the rest of the time.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic