brain decides before it's aware it decided

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

brain decides before it's aware it decided

Postby everything on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:15 am

I think we already all know this but it's interesting researchers phrase it as such:

Libet (1993, p.276), in his book Neurophysiology of Consciousness, summarizes his and others’ research findings as follows “…
the brain ‘decides’ to initiate or, at least, to prepare to initiate the acts before there is any
reportable subjective awareness that such a decision has taken place.”

I almost posted to the main forum because this is really about perception of action and "automatic" response (as in IMA).

The paper where I got the quote is at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1681682 It sounds like they read "Zen and the Martial Arts" a long time ago and applied it to their leadership theory. Epistemological = knowing "front the stands" vs. Ontological = knowing "on the court" and "being".

When a context uses you, there is nothing to remember and no rules to apply. Rather, when
“What it is to be a leader and what it is to exercise leadership effectively” exists as a context that
uses you, that context shapes and colors any leadership situation such that your naturally
correlated way of being and acting is that of being a leader and exercising leadership effectively
– that is, it is your natural self-expression. When you have learned something, that is, when you
have an epistemological grasp of it, appropriately you remember what you learned and apply it.
However, there can be a point where what you have been trying to learn actually becomes a part
of you – or saying this in another way, instead of you using what you have learned, it has
become for you “second nature”, it so to speak uses you – this is mastery. For example, great
martial artists, skateboarders, and dancers all experience this,

The rest of the paper is OTT but pretty interesting.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: brain decides before it's aware it decided

Postby affa on Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 am

16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Yeah, that's "old news." :)
But surprising how few people, particularly from Western cultures, realize that there is something going on in the brain besides cognitive/reasoning awareness.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:38 am

Interloper wrote:Yeah, that's "old news." :)
But surprising how few people, particularly from Western cultures, realize that there is something going on in the brain besides cognitive/reasoning awareness.

YES
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:01 am

really, in the brain eh..
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Interloper wrote:Yeah, that's "old news." :)

Something IS going on in the brain? :o

Contemplation helps to feel this gap as you are more aware to your surroundings and various cues. You may "feel" a thought before it becomes 100% cognitive and you also become aware of the gap between a thing occuring and the time it is consciously registered. At least that was my experience when I did zazen.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic