teaching english in Japan

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

teaching english in Japan

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:29 am

I know quite a few of you have done this and I need some advice!!

I decided not to apply with JET for various personal reasons. Will likely apply with the in 2012, but I'm looking for a teaching job for September. Thinking of going with an Eikawa school, maybe AEON, but I've heard some bad things.
Anyone have the skinny of Eikawa schools, who is good, who is bad etc?
How about small schools? One of the things is that they often want you to be currently residing in Japan before they will interview you, so I'm wondering if it is worth the time and money?

Would preferably like to work in either Sapporo, Chiba, or Fukuoka. Is that realistic? Or should I be aiming for small towns or villages? Anyone got good tips on smaller centers near those places (especially Sapporo, as I've got many friends there).

Thanks a lot for any and all help with this.

Mix
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: teaching english in Japan

Postby Interloper on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:22 am

I'm considering the same, as my Japanese fiance will be returning to Japan more-or-less permanently this week due to immigration issues and family obligations. I don't know much about the language agencies such as the ones you mentioned, but my fiance did tell me that there are businesses that hire "language coaches" on contract/freelance basis to teach English to employees, private citizens who want a tutor, and lots of independent little language schools that would consider a native-English-speaking person to be an instructor, though they would be picky about your credentials (university degree, TEFL/ESL certification). They don't want just a native speaker, since being able to communicate in one's native language doesn't always mean that he or she can teach it to others.

The majority of such potential employers are in cities -- large to medium size. Resort communities also are possible sources of work, particularly if they attract European and North American tourists. Rural villages and little towns are much more "provincial" and don't have as much need for English classes for adults (kids often get some English in school); consequently, you're more likely to find English-speaking Japanese people in the cities than in the hinterlands. That doesn't mean there aren't any possibilities there, just that they are less likely and much fewer.

The main issue, I think, is the visa. The big English-language "stables" help you get your visa once you sign on with them, but if you are an independent contractor it likely is not so easy. You'd need to be sponsored by an established business in order to get one. There is a visa specifically for teaching English, and the bearer can't do any other type of paid work while living in Japan.

If you speak some Japanese, it will help you even more if you do decide to try the less populated areas. You might be able to talk a village into learning English. :)

Don't know if this is helpful. But I'm doing research for my own possibilities and if I come up with anything that looks relevant, I'll forward it to you. My one advantage is that when my fiance and I marry (in Tokyo), I instantly qualify for a spousal visa that lets me do any kind of work I want in Japan. Well, providing it's not something illegal.
Last edited by Interloper on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby marqs on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:51 pm

There used to be some kind of "working holiday visa" for canadians (weren't you canadian, Mix?), so that could ease things out for you.

When I was in exchange in Japan (2005) I remember seeing more job offers for people with a visa. In Kyoto/Osaka there were quite a lot of work offers, I'm guessing Fukuoka might have a decent amount too.

Link for more info:
http://www.ca.emb-japan.go.jp/canada_e/Visa/working_holiday.html

The forum http://outpostnine.com/forum/ used to be frequented by many people teaching english in Japan. It might still be a good source of information.
marqs
Huajing

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:45 pm

thanks a lot guys!!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:53 pm

It seems that the big language schools help you with getting visas and all (otherwise it will be very difficult to work here), but on the other hand, you don't have much say regarding where you will be working (and you may suddenly one day be switched to some other boon docks elsewhere).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:39 pm

the Canadian work holiday visa sounds promising though :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic