91-year-old bodybuilder

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: 91-year-old bodybuilder

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:34 pm

That's awesome.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:06 pm

To me, a 65-year-old is young. I turn 92 this year. It is a frightening prospect – the law of averages is against me, and, yes, one day something will happen and that will be it. But until that day comes, I'm going to carry on working on my abs.

Inspirational.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 pm

oh yes!
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Dang! Wow!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Impressive, but a bit odd that rowing wasn't keeping him fit. Isn't it a pretty strenuous sport?
.Q.
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:58 pm

.Q. wrote:Impressive, but a bit odd that rowing wasn't keeping him fit. Isn't it a pretty strenuous sport?

I was wondering that too. It seems like strength endurance where he needed more strength workouts???
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Adam S on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Inspiration indeed
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Amazing
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:19 am

I was a very sickly child. From the age of six I had constant headaches and chronic tonsilitis. I became pale, sluggish and my growth was slow. I remember noticing one day that my best friend, who was a year younger than me, was slightly taller and that I was very upset about it.

Typical Kung Fu master introduction plot. ;D
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Charles died last year in April at age 97.

This video was published a little before:

What an inspirational dude. He gave a TED talk as well.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:30 pm

What we both agree on is that bodies can be remodelled, no matter how old you are.

Yup :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Steve James wrote:
What we both agree on is that bodies can be remodelled, no matter how old you are.

Yup :)

Just make sure to be more careful when you're older. One of my private students has some good years on him and a few times when I worked specifically on footwork his knees would cause him problems later. I had to both reduce the amount and try to modify drills in order to minimize chances for injury. It's kind of sad because footwork is one of my most favorite aspect of Bagua.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Imo, it's really a question of listening carefully to your body, no matter what age you are. It's true that one can't train the same way at 60 as one did at 16, but the basic principles are the same. Over-training is bad at any age, though recovery from over-training takes much longer if one is older.

There are very few things that one cannot do or start simply because of age. There are lots of things that one can't do or start because of one's physical condition.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Amazing, a real testatement to the benefits of staying active well into old age!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic