what is special about cloud hands from purely a qigong view?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

what is special about cloud hands from purely a qigong view?

Postby everything on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 pm

I had read something BK Frantzis wrote about cloud hands being an optimal qigong to do. It confirmed my personal experience of better cheee hugging doing cloud hands. I have no idea why that is, though, so just wondering if there is some TCM theory that explains what's happening here. 8-) Dumb jokes or snarky comments are also always appreciated. ;D
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: what is special about cloud hands from purely a qigong view?

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:34 pm

I don't know about "optimal" but it's a good one for sure. I feel it activates the yin and yang meridians that flow up and down the arms and the trunk rotation/whole body connectedness makes for a good drill to do. Feels like it's a metal-element movement.
Chris Fleming

Postby edededed on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:11 am

Perhaps as a result, there are similar practices in baguazhang, xingyiquan (as "tuoxing" crocodile form), and yiquan (in the latter, as one of the "shili" exercises).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:30 am

I had a neat instruction last night from a local guy whose class I went to visit (going to see my extended taiji family) in which he told me that in yun shou, he liked to breathe the hand up and across the center and then as the hand dropped, exhale and have it end up doing an almost pi quan like action. The power it generated was pretty neato!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:24 am

Breath and blood regulation can be physically realized/monitored with this particular motion.
Marry blood to breath as motion occurs. Optimum union of the movement, the breath and the blood flow to the limbs will produce a noticeable sensation.

benefits? self evident? unknown?
:)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:26 am

also, why is this off the topic here?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:00 am

thanks for those answers. I posted in OTT because I was mainly wondering about health aspects at the moment, although it'd be great to talk about power, etc., as well.
Last edited by everything on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:40 pm

A lot of the benefits (as seen from a qigong point of view) from performing specific movement sequences like that is how the movement effects the interior of the body.

I'm ot entirely sure, but I think the cloud hands sequence effects both the liver and kidneys. Light interior movement of either of those areas should benefit the organ in question and from there the function of the entire critter.

You might want to ask someone LIke Ven Fish, Doc Stier or D Glenn.

Best,

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 pm

it pumps the energy and blood throughout the entire body
as you spiral the arms and the legs

if you focus on the hip turning it opens up the kua and the lower back
if you focus on the waist turning it more focuses on the internal organs
so kidneys, liver, entire abdomen (digestion/spleen)
as you twist and the arms and hands move you also get movement in the ribcage (upper torso and associated organs)

good because it engages so much of the body
don't have to step (move the feet)

you could probably debate that something like the standing version of BaDuanJin
from the health standpoint might give a better whole body workout/effect because the eight exercises form a complete set
as in they start with warming up the body, work the entire body in sequence (including bending and stretching movements), then closes by vibrating away any tension that you might have generated while preforming the set

something like the cloud hands movement also give loads of health benefits but will also develop martial attributes
like moving with connection and spirals, etc.......

franklin
Last edited by Franklin on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:38 pm

7 years late, but thanks for this answer, franklin.
everything
Wuji

Postby Giles on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:40 am

Seeing as how this thread has swum back up to the surface, and because I missed it the first time around:

More than 20 years ago, I had been learning tai chi for a year or two. And there was a period when I was going through major inner conflicts, all kinds of stuff going on. Very torn about ending a relationship, very torn about attitudes to myself, my history etc. Crazy emotions vs. rational analysis, and other conflicts. I had started a course of psychotherapy and had also seen a kind of energy/aura healer a couple of times. So there I was standing in a quiet corner of a park, doing some tai chi/qigong exercises and after a while I started doing cloud hands. And after a few moments I had a very strong and somehow clear feeling of something happening in myself, sort of a vision and sort of a tactile sensation: I felt ('saw') the two halves of my brain coming together, certain colours appearing and changing, connecting more, and a new quality in me arising from this improved union. Something in me felt quite different, better. From that moment on I had a stronger degree of clarity and mental/emotional integration that helped me to move forward. Didn't solve all my issues instantaneously, of course (dammit ;) ) but something was definitely better.

I feel pretty sure that it was the symmetrical, rotating, homolateral and contralateral aspects of the cloud hands movement, all in one package, that triggered this change. Maybe it was waiting to happen anyway, I don't know, but I don't think it was a coincidence that it happened at that moment.
I also wonder whether there is any relationship to the trauma-therapy effects of the Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) method, which often involves patients moving their eyes from left to right, right to left and (it is claimed) creates a better connection between the brain hemispheres. At any rate, when I had this cloud hands experience I knew nothing about EMDR or anything similar.
Last edited by Giles on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:58 pm

everything wrote:I had read something BK Frantzis wrote about cloud hands being an optimal qigong to do.

I have met similar teachers, they spit out strange generalizations for no reason other than that some sort of cool sounding thought formed inside of their heads. If a teacher is famous or not, you should still be able to recognize BS when you hear it.
... IMHO ...
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Most of the things said here relate to every posture in tai chi
Like was stated before it has properties in common with turtle and single palm change
It is earth at its best
CMC used it in his 5 animal form as bear and earth
From a western point of view it swaps between sympathetic and parasimpithetic and stimulates both hemispheres of the brain
If I get a student who is too yang I get them to practice cloud hands,turtle and SPC to balance their energy
Just like I would use Stomach 36 yang 3 mile
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Bao wrote:
everything wrote:I had read something BK Frantzis wrote about cloud hands being an optimal qigong to do.

I have met similar teachers, they spit out strange generalizations for no reason other than that some sort of cool sounding thought formed inside of their heads. If a teacher is famous or not, you should still be able to recognize BS when you hear it.
... IMHO ...

Don't mean to imply that because he has a "big name", it must be true, but yeah.

IME, there is definitely something different feeling about it. It's not too specific for me, but it is good. Want to see what everyone else says or has experienced.

Giles - now that is a completely different story with it!
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:00 am

wayne hansen wrote:CMC used it in his 5 animal form as bear and earth

CMC=Zheng Manqing? ....What is the 5 animal form? Is it a form,or five isolated exercises? Is this exercise specific to the Malaysian branch or is it also to be found in Taiwan and maybe in the US too?
Trick

Next

Return to Off the Topic