The Kickass Octopus Thread

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Kickass Octopus Thread

Postby Ian on Wed May 14, 2008 8:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus#Intelligence

"Octopuses are highly intelligent, probably more intelligent than any other order of invertebrates. The exact extent of their intelligence and learning capability is much debated among biologists,[2][3][4] but maze and problem-solving experiments have shown that they do have both short- and long-term memory. Their short lifespans limit the amount they can ultimately learn. There has been much speculation to the effect that almost all octopus behaviors are independently learned rather than instinct-based, although this remains largely unproven. They learn almost no behaviors from their parents, with whom young octopuses have very little contact.

An octopus has a highly complex nervous system, only part of which is localized in its brain. Two-thirds of an octopus's neurons are found in the nerve cords of its arms, which have a remarkable amount of autonomy. Octopus arms show a wide variety of complex reflex actions arising on at least three different levels of the nervous system. Some octopuses, such as the Mimic Octopus, will move their arms in ways that emulate the movements of other sea creatures.

In laboratory experiments, octopuses can be readily trained to distinguish between different shapes and patterns. They have been reported to practice observational learning,[5] although the validity of these findings is widely contested on a number of grounds.[2][3] Octopuses have also been observed in what some have described as play: repeatedly releasing bottles or toys into a circular current in their aquariums and then catching them.[6] Octopuses often break out of their aquariums and sometimes into others in search of food. They have even boarded fishing boats and opened holds to eat crabs.[4]

In some countries, octopuses are on the list of experimental animals on which surgery may not be performed without anesthesia. In the UK, cephalopods such as octopuses are regarded as honorary vertebrates under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 and other cruelty to animals legislation, extending to them protections not normally afforded to invertebrates.[7]

A common belief is that when stressed, an octopus may begin to eat its own arms. However, limited research conducted in this area has revealed that the cause of this abnormal behavior, called autophagy, may be a virus that attacks the octopus's central nervous system. Thus this behavior may be more correctly labeled as a neurological disorder"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 16_pf.html

"Linden talks about the octopus that glided along the seafloor while holding a shell like a helmet over its head"

"He talks about the finicky octopus who, in a lab in Pennsylvania, was served slightly spoiled shrimp. The octopus refused to finish its dinner, and when the feeding researcher returned to its tank, the octopus made eye contact with her, then meaningfully pushed all the shrimp down the drain."

http://www.tonychor.com/archive/2005_12.html

"I volunteered at the Seattle Aquarium for a short stint when I first moved to Seattle (I used to dive a lot and almost became a marine biologist instead of a computer dude.) During orientation, I heard an amazing story about how the staff were finding dead sharks in the big tank. Their tails had been torn off and their guts sucked out, leaving only the skin.

Turns out the octopuses in the tank were snaring the sharks as the the sharks swam past. Well, now, someone has caught this action on video. It's absolutely amazing and more than a little scary, especially as someone who has done night dives with octopi. Check it out.

Those octopuses are super smart. The Seattle Aquarium staff also told a story about how the octopuses adapted to having divers in the tank doing feedings. The octopuses realized that the divers were handing out food every day and wanted to get closer to the action. They quickly figured out the easiest way was to slide up the glass, slide along the surface of the water and find the air hose the diver was using, and then slide down the airhose to the diver. Apparently, the first time this happened, the visitors were watching an octopus come down the airhose toward the oblivious diver. They gestured wildly to the diver, who thought the visitors were waving at him. He smiled and waved back. All of a sudden, the octopus, now on the diver's back, reached around the diver on both sides and started grabbing at the food he was handing out. Obviously, the diver freaked out and shot for the surface. That would definitely make me hang up my dive fins.

I think it's time to declare a truce with the octopuses: we won't eat you if you don't eat us."

Ian

Re: The Kickass Octopus Thread

Postby fuga on Wed May 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Last edited by fuga on Wed May 14, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed May 14, 2008 8:58 pm

'Octopussies'.
Ian

Postby tastydurian on Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 pm

I remember seeing this on a news site awhile back, it's an octopus curled into a ball and walking on the sea floor with two legs. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wgla5smg64
tastydurian
Anjing

Postby edededed on Wed May 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Octopi are awesome.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu May 15, 2008 12:07 am

um no duh they rule. sharks are NOT top dog in the ocean.

edit: ah fuga beat me to it.
Last edited by nianfong on Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby edededed on Thu May 15, 2008 1:08 am

Other reasons that octopi are cool:

- As they have no bones, water pressure does not have any effect on them (so they get to move up the food chain down below).
- One octopus species can mimic various other animals by changing its shape and color.
- Males have eight dicks (just in case) - that's eight times as manly as you!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu May 15, 2008 2:19 am

Octopodes

Octopieces

Huh huh huh... yeah! Huh huh.
Ian

Postby edededed on Thu May 15, 2008 5:39 am

Hey, that's a nice bathing suit! Heh... heh heh...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu May 15, 2008 3:00 pm

I think that Jacques Yves Cousteau said that he notices that octopussies (?) build habitats on the ocean floor with what looked like gardens and common areas (streets ?).
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu May 15, 2008 4:02 pm

I wonder if ringo knew about this when he wrote his only beatles song.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby TaoBoxer on Fri May 16, 2008 7:10 am

The only thing protecting us from them is the beach....

Lewitt
Last edited by TaoBoxer on Fri May 16, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never go full retard
TaoBoxer
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Fri May 16, 2008 3:57 pm

This is a bit more from where that clip came from.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Fri May 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Ian wrote:Octopodes
Huh huh huh... yeah! Huh huh.

qfa!
Craig
Great Old One

Postby tastydurian on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Aussie scientists find coconut-carrying octopus

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091215/ap_ ... ut_octopus

SYDNEY – Australian scientists have discovered an octopus in Indonesia that collects coconut shells for shelter — unusually sophisticated behavior that the researchers believe is the first evidence of tool use in an invertebrate animal.

The scientists filmed the veined octopus, Amphioctopus marginatus, selecting halved coconut shells from the sea floor, emptying them out, carrying them under their bodies up to 65 feet (20 meters), and assembling two shells together to make a spherical hiding spot.

Julian Finn and Mark Norman of Museum Victoria in Melbourne observed the odd activity in four of the creatures during a series of dive trips to North Sulawesi and Bali in Indonesia between 1998 and 2008. Their findings were published Tuesday in the journal Current Biology.

"I was gobsmacked," said Finn, a research biologist at the museum who specializes in cephalopods. "I mean, I've seen a lot of octopuses hiding in shells, but I've never seen one that grabs it up and jogs across the sea floor. I was trying hard not to laugh."

Octopuses often use foreign objects as shelter. But the scientists found the veined octopus going a step further by preparing the shells, carrying them long distances and reassembling them as shelter elsewhere.

That's an example of tool use, which has never been recorded in invertebrates before, Finn said.

"What makes it different from a hermit crab is this octopus collects shells for later use, so when it's transporting it, it's not getting any protection from it," Finn said. "It's that collecting it to use it later that is unusual."

The researchers think the creatures probably once used shells in the same way. But once humans began cutting coconuts in half and discarding the shells into the ocean, the octopuses discovered an even better kind of shelter, Finn said.

The findings are significant, in that they reveal just how capable the creatures are of complex behavior, said Simon Robson, associate professor of tropical biology at James Cook University in Townsville.

"Octopuses have always stood out as appearing to be particularly intelligent invertebrates," Robson said. "They have a fairly well-developed sense of vision and they have a fairly intelligent brain. So I think it shows the behavioral capabilities that these organisms have."

There is always debate in the scientific community about how to define tool use in the animal kingdom, Robson said. The Australian researchers defined a tool as an object carried or maintained for future use. But other scientists could define it differently, which means it's difficult to say for certain whether this is the first evidence of such behavior in invertebrates, Robson said.

Still, the findings are interesting, he said.

"It's another example where we can think about how similar humans are to the rest of the world," Robson said. "We are just a continuum of the entire planet."
tastydurian
Anjing

Next

Return to Off the Topic