Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Extrasensory Situational Awareness

Postby klonk on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:50 am

Doc Stier wrote:Thanks guys! Your posts are definitely positive input.

Regarding intuition, one of the primary assertions of this entire thread is simply that intuitive 'knowing' is in fact a form of extrasensory awareness, which involves something more than ordinary sense perception data. :)

I knew you were going to say that, too. ;)

I think it is possible that what we are looking at is an instinctive and innate integration of sense data, below the level of conscious cognition about it. I happen to feel that is the most likely explanation, but that does not matter for purposes of discussion. What is important is that such a viewpoint is extremely difficult to exclude logically.

For example, let us say you are deep in the woods and your nose picks up a whiff of after shave or tobacco smoke. While it is still too faint for you to tell what it is, you may have already sensed that something incongruous is present.

"Something about the situation just didn't smell right." Here we have yet another common saying.

Of course the thread title presupposes extrasensory awareness, but a great many things can be explained with reference to sensory inputs and uses of them that appear to be innate though not thoroughly understood.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:03 am

Of course the thread title presupposes extrasensory awareness, but a great many things can be explained with sensory inputs and uses of them that appear to be innate though not thoroughly understood.

That's the thing, ain't it. Are there extra senses or are our senses better than we imagine? Is intuition another sense or is it just a guess based on experience? Running away can't be instinct, per se, in the same way that a baby deer or lion cub will instinctively hide when its mother is away or when danger is near.

Anyway, I go with the idea that our senses are what we've developed based on our needs and capabilities. Intuition is just experience, probably with some genetic component. I.e., some humans, like some animals, just don't like being up high or in deep water before they ever get there.

Now, having the feeling that someone unseen is waiting around the next corner to take you off is something that can be right or wrong. If I were blind and deaf, though, I might never have that feeling. Otoh, a blind and deaf person might be able to "sense" that someone was there.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:14 am

what about strange "vision" during practise ?
I mean you get answer for the question in your mid, in form of the nanosecond
kinda of "flash back"
you are , simply speakin`, getting full feature move, acid trip, or short clip at last, and instantly, you can see all sequences at once, or in any thinkable, or not ;) order.
I`m unable to better describe it.
it can be "makyo", but you getting right /?/ answer for the question.
I mean you simply KNOW it is right
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:24 am

...are our senses better than we imagine? ..."
sure thing! Steve,
clear The lungs in the mountains, just breath a little in the forest, and return to the city for while.
Check the smell of the forest again.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:15 pm

The saying that I am familiar with is "something just doesn't 'feel' right". It has been especially relevant for me in those instances involving a mental awareness or perception of potential danger or harm which isn't a response to present sensory data of any kind, however subtle, even when attempting to tune in to possible sensory data upon 'feeling' that a potential threat is present.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:11 pm

I think everything said in the past couple of days makes perfect sense, that there are cumulative effects from normal sensory input below the level of the conscious that get regurgitated by our sub-conscious back up to the conscious in the form of what's been described by Klonk and Doc, such as "gut feelings", etc.

I also think that weisek makes sense when talking about visions because I've had the same experiences, so there is a meta-physical component, IMO. I want to address that for a minute and I'm pretty sure I'm touching on something that various schools of internal cultivation know quite well, but my P.O.V. is trying to figure this out from experiences because I haven't the specific training in this area.

All the levels of reality are connected by the mind of each person and I understand them as places where your mind can go, but those places are real and everyone else goes there. Just as we are all obviously here on the so-called physical world where the five senses are the dominant attention-getter of our minds, and we share many experiences in such similar ways that we can agree on most of them, we also share experiences in the other worlds, or planes/dimensions of reality.

At least two other places where our minds often go are in dreaming when asleep and in imagination while still awake. If everyone goes there, and obviously time does not function in those places the same as it does in the physical world, it is possible to have perception and shared knowledge with other people, perhaps even unintended knowledge that is equivalent to bumping into someone on the street in the physical world so you knew where they were at that moment. In the other planes of reality, it would show you where their mental focus was, which could be meaningful, and in such a place would usually not be a coincidence.

In the physical world, our unintended intersections with people are often meaningless, such as sitting on a bus next to a stranger, but in a world where your intention directs your mind without limitations of time and space, such intersections are the result of intention and not coincidence. I'll try to describe this by saying that if a person were literally flying through the air, their slightest thought could direct where their body would travel. In a world without physics, the mind goes exactly where and when it wants.

In the past few days, I was thinking mostly about the imagination world, a place where thought-forms exist. For example, if you can create an image of an apple in your mind, it actually exists on this imaginary plane of reality for as long as you focus your mind on it. This is part of the technique I use for qigong-type energy healing, to create an image of healing the person.

One time I sent energy to my late grandmother while she was asleep, and the next day she reported to her acupuncturist, my Tai Ji Quan teacher, that "Michael gave me a great big hug!" Many other similar experiences demonstrate to me that the mind is very powerful and exists in a multiple-level reality with everyone else, so that wherever we focus it, and whatever we imagine, has actual effects, consequences and makes connections to other people; it's real.

I think that some of our intuition is a result of contact with other people in the dream world or imagination world because of their mind being focused on us, or being focused on something that would have consequences for us. Because time operates differently in those places from the physical world, those interactions of the minds of separate people could become evident in the physical world in unpredictable or surprising ways. Perhaps this also falls into the category of extrasensory awareness.
Michael

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:31 am

Doc Stier wrote:The saying that I am familiar with is "something just doesn't 'feel' right". It has been especially relevant for me in those instances involving a mental awareness or perception of potential danger or harm which isn't a response to present sensory data of any kind, however subtle, even when attempting to tune in to possible sensory data upon 'feeling' that a potential threat is present.

I've heard, and felt, that one too. I think of it as a summation of the cues we can name--feelings involving the skin or the hair, or a hint of something in the wind, or a gut feeling of danger--which last probably involves the lower GI tract's fight-or-flight reaction.

We do not easily understand the limits of what our natural senses and our instincts can tell us, since they do some things without our conscious effort. I find myself thinking about the rabbits that live around here. There is a fairly complex decision tree involved in a rabbit's decision to A. Freeze in place B. Run like hell or C. Ignore me and keep on munching. I am pretty sure none of this happens on the level of refined logic or intellectual clarity. Rabbits are stupid to nine decimal places, but instinct makes them champs at survival and reproduction.

Inasmuch as rabbits can process danger cues without being deeply conscious of how or why, I think it reasonable to suppose we might have some ability of the kind.

Last edited by klonk on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:42 am

Klonk, I may be wrong about this, but I think it's accepted that most animals, like rabbits, have significantly more keen 5 sense capabilities than humans.
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:04 am

Of course, Michael. Agreed, but nonetheless I also agree with klonk's comment, too. Isn't it interesting that the elusive 'extra' in extrasensory awareness is something which is simultaneously both more and less than what we usually depend upon in most circumstances. It is apparently more than ordinary sense perceptions, yet also involves less conscious mental activity than we normally use in most circumstances as well. Hmmm! ;)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:21 am

Dawgonnit! If the subconscious is faster and the extra-something is unbound by physics, what's this silly conscious mind good for? Filling out tax forms?
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:22 am

Fwiw, specific animals have keener specific senses than humans. A dog or bear's ability to smell is much more refined than ours. Otoh, humans see and hear better than rhinos. We can see more colors than many animals, but some can see more and better than we can. But, even if most animals had better senses, I don't think that is what either klonk or Doc means.

Two examples: prey animals on the savanna see lions and hyenas all the time, and can sense when a lion is on the hunt or just taking a stroll. They're like klonk's wabbit. How do they know? And that's in the daylight. But, another example is the old, true saying that "A dog knows whether you stepped on its tail by accident."

Hey, I know everyone has 'gut feelings' about certain things, people or situations. Personally, I don't think those feelings are always correct. But, they're part of a survival instinct that is hard-wired precisely because of the vulnerabilities of our limited senses.

That feeling, if it's not a product of a physical sensation (hearing, seeing, feeling, tasting, smelling) of something is a product of the brain because it is a physical effect. That is, unless it is the physical perception of something non-physical (like intent). I still argue that it takes experience to develop those feelings. I just can't deny that there is something more innate, even genetic, that can generate those feelings without experience. It's the way some people are afraid of snakes or spiders from the time they're young, while others don't realize there's anything to be afraid of.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:31 am

Okay, it took me a few minutes, but I got Klonk's last post. Cheers!
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Steve: I believe that what we are attempting to describe is not a "physical perception of something non-physical", but rather a non-physical perception of something non-physical, i.e. an intangible subconscious awareness of negative energy and/or intent emanating from an outside source which hasn't yet been detected by physical sensory perceptions.

It has been my personal experience over many years time that a calm and alert, yet passively detached state of mind is generally capable of subconsciously detecting and automatically responding to thoughts and energy that intersect my personal energy field. This regularly causes me to spontaneously focus my mental attention and my physical senses in a specific direction, or even to a specific point or location, well before I become consciously aware of what the source is.

For example, I may suddenly and inexplicably feel that I am being watched, then immediately focus all of my physical senses on a particular spot without yet realizing exactly what is there, but already totally prepared to address whatever or whomever it is as needed. It seems to function as a type of inner advanced warning system that is always accurate. :)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:44 am

Steve: I believe that what we are attempting to describe is not a "physical perception of something non-physical", but rather a non-physical perception of something non-physical, i.e. an intangible subconscious awareness of negative energy and/or intent emanating from an outside source which hasn't yet been detected by physical sensory perceptions.

Well, iinm, the word used was "feeling" as in a "gut feeling." But, as I said, everyone has had it. We could call it "spidey sense."

For example, I may suddenly and inexplicably feel that I am being watched, then immediately focus all of my physical senses on a particular spot without yet realizing exactly what is there, but already totally prepared to address whatever or whomever it is as needed. It seems to function as a type of inner advanced warning system that is always accurate. :)

I've also had the feeling of someone looking at me, then turned around to find that it was true. Now, your point would be that I couldn't have perceived it with my five usual senses. I agree. Have I ever turned around and someone wasn't looking at me? Yes. Does that mean that my feelings were wrong? or that the other person looked away "because" I was looking? There's no way with my physical senses to ever know, unless someone played it back on tape or told me. It's the same with "seeing" or "hearing" something that isn't there.

Ya know, some people believe there are spirits guiding them, guardian angels. Because I'm here, I wouldn't pooh-pooh that idea either.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Steve: The "spidey sense" you referred to isn't limited solely to an awareness of other people watching you or projecting energetic attention towards you. It has been my personal experience that extrasensory awareness also includes being watched and assessed by other living creatures as well. It could be an animal or bird watching you from a concealed position, from outside your field of view, or simply looking at you from an unmoving, stationary position which isn't easily seen and identified unless or until it moves. In wooded parks or countryside areas, you could be responding to anything from a squirrel to a deer. So, if ever you feel as if you're being watched, and turn to look, but don't see anyone, it's probably not another person looking at you. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic